FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Passive Smoking Kills

jipmerite
We would usually get very annoyed if someone was doing something inappropriate in public such as talk loudly in a cinema. But rarely we object when someone is smoking in public. Yet Passive Smoking is very dangerous to our health.

Second Hand Smoke has been implicated as the cause of diseases ranging from heart disease, lung cancer, bronchitis, asthma and the deaths due to these...

I have written an article on Passive Smoking [url=http://jipmerite.spaces.msn.com/blog/cns!8B1479ED9DCB8883!466.entry]here[/url].

WHat do you think of the matter and the people who damage our health by their smoking habits?
HDirtwater
jipmerite wrote:
We would usually get very annoyed if someone was doing something inappropriate in public such as talk loudly in a cinema. But rarely we object when someone is smoking in public.

This is certainly not the case in the US. Smoking, even in outdoor public areas is considered completely rude. It is against the law to smoke in bars and restaurants (depends on what state), and even cruise ships are banning smoking. There are no-smoking cainos, hotels, and even apartments.

I defy any smoker to walk down a normal busy street in a big city and not be asked to put it out.

And, BTW, the dangers of second hand smoke is hardly new, especially in the US.
Marston
HDirtwater wrote:
Though, only last week did your surgeon general publish "a new report that found that passive smoking is detremental to your health"- like we all haven't known about this for years.
Jayfarer
Second hand smoke is only significant when you're constantly exposed to it. Like waitresses at a bar, or when you live with a heavy smoker. I don't really make a big deal if I'm just temporarily in the presence of a smoker.
caroline
Our schools teach us since like kindergarden that secondhand smoking is bad for you...
I live in an area without many smokers though, so I don't really mind if occasionally I'm 10 feet away from a smoker or something Smile
{name here}
Of course secondhand is bad for you. People have however chosen to ignore it even now. Being exposed to secondhand once in a great while should be fine, as your bndy can recover from the tar and smoke. However, it is quite dangerous when being exposed to it every living day.
Jaime
Depend of the exposicion time, because it's only a minute there's not problem, but if is all the time there are problem...
DeFwh
Certainly smoking is bad for your health but it is proven that second hand smoke is very unlikely to trigger a disease or abnormal symptoms. My grandfather is 83 years old and smokes 2 to 3 packs a week. The only trouble he has had problems with is arthritis and some minor colon trouble. This is very unusual but still points out that smoking depends on the person. Also if you come in contact with enough carcinogenic smoke during whatever activity you are doing except smoking then you are with the wrong crowd or you are there by choice.

To avoid exposure to secondhand smoke i thought up a few tips:

1. Avoid smoking areas such as sidewalks in cities and bars

2. When with friends or relatives who smoke ask them to only smoke
outside or in a well ventilated area

3. Drink the recomended amount of water daily to flush unwanted toxins from
your body

4. Encourage your friends and/or relatives to stop smoking immeaditetly
and give them and yourself the benefit of a much healthier and positive
lifestyle

Not smoking has many benefits.
Here are a few sites about smoking:
http://www.kidshealth.org/teen/drug_alcohol/tobacco/smoking.html

As this link points out near the bottom of the article which it is quite long and i did read that regular exposure to passive smoke is harmful and the emphasis is on regular as in as much as a regular smoker smokes you pass by him. The suggest avoiding it which is the best solution and therefore solves the problem. And its seems that passive smoke has the most effect on children from the newborns to 15 year olds and people with asthma.
http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_information/html/health_news/270503smoke.html
darvit
Yes, it has been a fact for a very long time now. Smile

[The late Christopher Reeve's wife just died from secondhand smoke. Sad]

Because the smoke exposed to other people is not filtered, obviously, the primary smoker has less exposure to the carcinogens and other harmful substances.

I hate secondhand smoke. Insensitive smokers are the worst, though. If they wanted to smoke, they should do it when they're with fellow smokers. Mad
Andrew426
Not everything is good for your health.

Its no secret that second hand smoke kills, but so do cars, guns and a whole lot of other things.

You cant make any on these things illegal, and convincing every smoker/driver/gun owner to stop would be incredibly hard.
meet in rio
HDirtwater wrote:
I defy any smoker to walk down a normal busy street in a big city and not be asked to put it out.

This is certainly not the case in the UK. My friends only ask my permission to smoke if we're in a café or somewhere enclosed (except bars/pubs, where they wouldn't think twice). If I asked some random guy on the street to put his cigarette out I'd get some very dirty looks and a refusal. Very few people would ask or comply.
snowboardalliance
HDirtwater wrote:

This is certainly not the case in the US. Smoking, even in outdoor public areas is considered completely rude. It is against the law to smoke in bars and restaurants (depends on what state), and even cruise ships are banning smoking. There are no-smoking cainos, hotels, and even apartments.

I wish that were true here in michigan. But I hear that we will soon have more anti-smoking laws Very Happy
bdoneck
When I'm around anyone smoking, I try and move away from it, unless it is a friend, in which case I will nicely ask that they don't blow their smoke in my direction.

I agree that secondhand smoke is very bad, but some people will sit there and breath it in, then later complain that they have been secondhand smoking. All they had to do was move away or ask the person not to blow any smoke in their direction.
pacsey
Simply smoking means that u kill urself
Im tryin to let it and i hope i hope i will succeed
jipmerite
Andrew426 wrote:
Not everything is good for your health.

Its no secret that second hand smoke kills, but so do cars, guns and a whole lot of other things.

You cant make any on these things illegal, and convincing every smoker/driver/gun owner to stop would be incredibly hard.

Just because we cannot bring a stop to it doesn't mean we should not take steps to protect oursleves...

And yes the effect does depend on the level of exposure. But it also depends on the person. Some people are more predisposed to diseases such as cancer...that is why some people can smoke happily to the grave at 80 years and others get a stroke at 40.

You don't know what your fate will be. SO why not take some precaution.
JoeFriday
darvit wrote:
Yes, it has been a fact for a very long time now. Smile

[The late Christopher Reeve's wife just died from secondhand smoke. Sad]

Because the smoke exposed to other people is not filtered, obviously, the primary smoker has less exposure to the carcinogens and other harmful substances.

I hate secondhand smoke. Insensitive smokers are the worst, though. If they wanted to smoke, they should do it when they're with fellow smokers. Mad

actually, I don't think Reeve's widow's death certificate stated "Secondhand Smoke" as the cause of death.. I believe it was lung cancer.. it's entirely possible to get cancer from things other than cigarettes

statistics show that there is a possible correlation between cigarette smoke, but the incident rate is barely higher than a 'random' rate of occurence

yeah, I hate smokers too, but it's mostly pseudoscience and political correctness that say smoking is bad
{name here}
Well, I guess this is another reason to illegalize tobbacco in favor of Marijuana. Chemicals in marijuana smoke kill cells that are cancerous before they can develop into something quite nasty.
OutlawSpirit
jipmerite wrote:
We would usually get very annoyed if someone was doing something inappropriate in public such as talk loudly in a cinema. But rarely we object when someone is smoking in public. Yet Passive Smoking is very dangerous to our health.

i agree... in the uk... the smokers seem to think they have there 'rights' and for us non-smokers we have to 'enjoy' taking in there smoke and destroying ourselves due to someone else's carlessness...
saiyeek
I have faced the problem of being passive smoker.
most of my friends in my circle are smokers and while we are together they smoke, making me passive smoker. I can't leave them nor can I ask them not to smoke. Its a problem you know.
triggerhappy
i must agree i think smoking is bad espealiy second hand because you have no choice if your mom and dad are at a resturaunt that has cooks that smokes alot it is wrong, one time that happened to me good thing the bathroom at that place was free otherwise i would have a lot of tar in my lungs i wish they just stop since they know the facts and they know the ways to get of a smoking addiction. Sad
leat397
Do u all know that cigerettes are selling mainly to those developing countries? that's because people are all clear the harmful effect from smoking except those under educated...I am not discriminating these people but want to point out the target group shouldn't be "just want to relax with a smoke" or "be cool"....obviously, they are marketing campaign only..

Producers would never consider our health....
soldeinvierno
I hate not only having to breathe others smoke but the smell in the clothes Sad
DopeyCriz
Hey

I smoke myself, and I find it hard to give up.

But i put non-smokers first, respect them and I smoke in back alley or somewhere quiet. Unless with smoking friends.

Advice, don't start while you're not smoking.

Crying or Very sad I wanna give up
Davidgr1200
One thing that annoys me is that many (though not all) smokers believe they have the right to smoke where they like and that anyone who doesn't like smoke should move away. For example, at my local bus stop, which has a shelter, on a rainy day you will often see one person standing in the shelter smoking and about ten people (presumably non-smokers) standing in the rain a few yards away to avoid the smoke. Me, I wait at a bus stop on the other side of the road where I can see when the bus is coming and then run over to catch it.
jipmerite
That is exactly what I am talking about. Instead of one of those 10 people raising a finger to stop the one smoker, the ten people end up avoiding him and possibly ending up being affected by the second hand smoke.

The exposure might be small in that particular insidence but when many such experiences accumulate, the exposure might be significant.
sonam
I am not worry about smoking because some factories are milion times denger then smokers. But it is not nice if some smoker smoke on public place where is smoking prohibited.

Sonam
snowboardalliance
DopeyCriz wrote:
Hey

I smoke myself, and I find it hard to give up.

But i put non-smokers first, respect them and I smoke in back alley or somewhere quiet. Unless with smoking friends.

Advice, don't start while you're not smoking.

Crying or Very sad I wanna give up

Good for you. I can appreciate that you aren't one of those smokers who doesn't care about anyone else. Good luck on quitting.
Scotty Too Hotty
i to am a smoker, and i also respect the non-smoker. It is illegal around here to smoke in bars, or any public facility other than the street or the Patio of a bar, parking lot etc.

But i repect the non-smokers, its there choice and it is mine, but just like i dont have to impose my beliefs on anyone, i dont have to impose my filthy habit on anyone either.
jipmerite
Scotty Too Hotty wrote:
i to am a smoker, and i also respect the non-smoker. It is illegal around here to smoke in bars, or any public facility other than the street or the Patio of a bar, parking lot etc.

But i repect the non-smokers, its there choice and it is mine, but just like i dont have to impose my beliefs on anyone, i dont have to impose my filthy habit on anyone either.

That is very true. I hope more and more smokers would adapt that attitude.

I am glad I have started such a healthy discussion. But I need some help from you guys. I mentioned earlier I wrote an article on Passive Smoking. I am actually very new to it. I would appreciate any comments and suggestions on the english, composition, content etc of the article. The Article I have put here:

http://jipmerite.spaces.msn.com/blog/cns!8B1479ED9DCB8883!466.entry

Thanks a lot.
konflikt
Smoking kills(and I'm a smoker). Please don't do it in front of people who don't smoke, as they did not ask to die faster. Just because I'm slowly killing my lungs does not mean that someone else would like to.
evilryu530
smoking sucks, dont u know that? i hate smokers hella smokers at my work plac,e they all suck, they are killin tem selves slowly. why do we need cigarettes dont we know it's bad for us?????? common people wake up!!!
haak_heu
konflikt wrote:
Smoking kills(and I'm a smoker). Please don't do it in front of people who don't smoke, as they did not ask to die faster. Just because I'm slowly killing my lungs does not mean that someone else would like to.

Passive smoking is more dangrous than active smoking espicialy crouded area where people smoke alot ..most of countries has band it on public places but still there are alot of countries which have not, passive smoking is 20% more dangrous than active smoking , it contain all the bad things like tar , and carcinogen in high concentraion because during active smoking mostly nicotine is absorbed but other are not due to concentration but for passive smoker there are most dangrous things in high concentraion .

This does not mean smooker is on good piont he dont get dangrous ingredient due to concentration ,as he is doing active as well passive smoking
so he is rather on more danger if they smoke at public places ( crowded places)
because alot of smoke wil be there and there will be high amount of smoke so dangrous igrediant will be in high concentration...

SO DO NOT SMOKE AT UNVENTILATED AND CROWDED AND PUBLIC PLACES

IT IS BETTER DO NOT SMOKE AT ALL
poisonhzkj
i hate smokers..more or less.. Sad
mtoni
although i dont smoke myself, some friends of mine do..
I don't mind them doing it (they are addicted Smile ) , but sometimes the smoke in the air is too much for me.

Last year, i was in a room with 10 others.. no air circulation and no window open (room was about 3*5 meters) and 8/10 was smoking....
I got tears in my eyes and I almost choked in there :s

not doing that again ^^

Thinking about other experiences I think that I do smoke passive a lot
Josso
I sometimes worry about my brother smoking in my house, if I leave my door open the smoke wanders upstairs even through his closed door (he's only allowed to smoke in his room since I was a small child) into my room. I worry sometimes but not that much, I think it's much less likely to kill you than real smoking... if it does, real bad luck.
NatetheGreat
Hey, now, we don't need to hate smokers... Of all the smokers who posted here, only one (perhaps two, I don't remember) didn't want to quit. I think the vast majority of smokers want to quit, but don't know how and/or think they can't. If they could, they would. Don't get me wrong, I hate smoking, but I think most smokers are victoms of a trap they can't escape. I think we should try to help them, not just say "i hate smok3rs soo ther". Sad
jabapyth
HDirtwater wrote:
jipmerite wrote:
We would usually get very annoyed if someone was doing something inappropriate in public such as talk loudly in a cinema. But rarely we object when someone is smoking in public.

i agree. Here in the US, smoking publicly gets shut down fairly often. I actually dont see it that often.
bulek
Smoking outside is still allowed in Slovenia. There are also smoking and non-smoking areas in bars, restaurants, etc.
I personaly don't support smoking everywhere.
otiscom
Both my brothers have never smoked, but they have always drank in british pubs.
For years these have been smoke filled places yet, one brother is 70 the other 64, both fit and healthy!
Now you tell me whats the truth?
Jeslyn
It may just be my ignorance or naivete, but I don't understand how someone, after decades of not smoking; can wake up one day and decide: "Hey, I think I'll become addicted to cigarettes!"
HoboPelican
First off, me say that I'm an occasional smoker, but I don't smoke around non-smokers (unless they invite themselves). It's just a politeness thing.

But I gotta get your feedback on this incident that happened to a friend. He was camping in a public campground and the family next-door came over and asked him to put out his campfire (in the provided fire ring) because the "second hand smoke" was bothering them. Is that nuts or is that a valid request? I guess smoke is smoke, but campfires are so much of the experience. Just wondering what is the right etiquette these days.
snowboardalliance
HoboPelican wrote:
First off, me say that I'm an occasional smoker, but I don't smoke around non-smokers (unless they invite themselves). It's just a politeness thing.

But I gotta get your feedback on this incident that happened to a friend. He was camping in a public campground and the family next-door came over and asked him to put out his campfire (in the provided fire ring) because the "second hand smoke" was bothering them. Is that nuts or is that a valid request? I guess smoke is smoke, but campfires are so much of the experience. Just wondering what is the right etiquette these days.

Umm, second hand smoke is bad because of all the chemicals and stuff but, burning wood in a fire, is that bad?
Bosleee
i agree about the pssive smokin and i dont smoke myself but most of my friends do and my ex girlfriend did.

i can ask them to not smokin round me but its like 90% of them smoke and i think its rude for me to tell all of them not to smoke when we in thier house or in the pub where everyone else is.
HoboPelican
snowboardalliance wrote:
HoboPelican wrote:

Umm, second hand smoke is bad because of all the chemicals and stuff but, burning wood in a fire, is that bad?

I don't know, but I always thought that it was the smoke that was the issue.If it was added chemicals in the cigarette, they'd just not add them and advertise a safe cig...

@Boslee - That's a tough situation, when you are the odd man odd. There really isn't a good solution except find a window to sit near.
Zug Zug
I live in an apartment complex, everyone smokes here. I am currently allergic to ciggarett smoke...it makes my eye water, make me sick to my stomach, and gives me a major headache. v_v I hate people who smoke. I hate that they're being so weak and addicting themselves to something that is just going to kill them. the "I'm going to die anyway" excuse is getting old, it's very rude to smoke in public anyway. I can see smoking inside of your own home.....but out in public? it's very rude. Most people where I live smoke... I asked someone to put theirs cig out once when my daughter was a newborn, he told me to eat s*** v_v needless to say I was very mad. Anyway smoking is bad for you, have the strength to say no.
snowboardalliance
HoboPelican wrote:
snowboardalliance wrote:
HoboPelican wrote:

I don't know, but I always thought that it was the smoke that was the issue.If it was added chemicals in the cigarette, they'd just not add them and advertise a safe cig...

well like the nicotine and stuff, without it, it wouldn't be a cigarette actually I don't htink. Wood doesn't have tobacco and nicotine.
HoboPelican
snowboardalliance wrote:

well like the nicotine and stuff, without it, it wouldn't be a cigarette actually I don't htink. Wood doesn't have tobacco and nicotine.

Could be wrong, but I thought the nicotine was the addictive element, but it was the tars and such in any burning plant that was the carcinogen. Anyone know for sure?
pennymellow
I've read a lot of very interesting points in this thread. Unfortunately, I had to wade through "smoker hating" and ridiculous assumptions to get there. When I did finally get there, I read very one-sided, uninformed opinions.

Most of the findings in the research conducted by the World Health Organisation are not "statistically significant". That means that there the research failed to meet the standard of proof. The figures are in the realms of "oops" and "maybe, maybe not..." They're within the margin of error.

It's unfortunate that people simply do not care about the facts anymore.

Here's some reading material. Hopefully it will tickle your need be educated on the matter:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/05/21/1053196637934.html
http://www.davehitt.com/facts/ (This website also contains links to other websites on the subject of second hand smoke.)
pjv
I really don't like people smoking in public areas especially when its indoor. Cigarette smoke smells really bad aside from getting you a disease. People should be mindful whenever they want to smoke. They should at least find a smoking area or go elswhere where they won't be bothering other human being which still likes to live.
HoboPelican
pennymellow wrote:

It's unfortunate that people simply do not care about the facts anymore.

Here's some reading material. Hopefully it will tickle your need be educated on the matter:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/05/21/1053196637934.html
http://www.davehitt.com/facts/ (This website also contains links to other websites on the subject of second hand smoke.)

Thanks for a very interesting read, Penny. I wonder if that will ever be discussed in main stream news....
pennymellow
HoboPelican wrote:
I wonder if that will ever be discussed in main stream news....

I doubt it. Not for a while, anyway. People are so, so stubborn, and once they jump on a bandwagon there seems to be no stopping them. It might be a long time before anyone bothers with the facts of passive smoking, especially as people want smoking gone. Apparently, the best way to ban smoking is to surround the issue with lies and exagerations and horrible pictures on cigarette packets.

I'd like to add that I don't like smoking. This mostly stems from the fact that I am an ex-smoker, but I would like to continue to smoke. As I have a history of cancer in my family, I fear that smoking would be the best way to hurry along the inevitable, and I'd like to keep the few years it would take from me. Plus it smells bad, and non-smokers really have something against smokers.

Many non-smokers don't understand what it is like to be a smoker. My mother would ask me "what do you feel when you have a craving?" and I would find it difficult to describe the sensation. It's really hard to hold off until you're alone, and it's really hard to quit, especially if your whole heart isn't in it. Honestly, the last thing smokers need is non-smokers being rude to them. It makes the matter worse. It makes both parties more hostile, more reluctant to back down.

I've gone on a little rant here, I know, but it's a sensitive issues. Let poor smokers smoke! The only damage it's doing to you is completely asthetic; would you ask a morbidly obese person to stop eating food because you don't like the look of them?
HoboPelican
pennymellow wrote:
I've gone on a little rant here, I know, but it's a sensitive issues. Let poor smokers smoke! The only damage it's doing to you is completely asthetic; would you ask a morbidly obese person to stop eating food because you don't like the look of them?

It is an odd issue. I used to work at a major pharmaceutical company and over the years the smoking policy got stricter and stricter. Not a problem for me, but they passed one rule that had me dumb-founded. You were allowed to smoke by the main entrance, but you could get fired if you smoked in your car. Confused So instead of allowing people to smoke in a closed, personal environment, they let them congregate enmass right in front of the main entrance where not only employees, but vendors and customers had to pass. Madness.

Also, I did a little digging and it seems it's the burning hydorcarbons that have been linked to cancer. Same as the smoke in a campfire or leaf fire. Nothing exclusive to cigarettes. But so far, I've only heard of that one family complaining about that smoke.

Oh well, like my Grandma used to say, "Live it or live with it."....
snowboardalliance
pennymellow wrote:

That's a poor example, a better example is something I remember from some random movie:

Some guy is smoking in a restaurant and another guy goes up to him and asks him to put it out. The smoker just blows smoke in his face. The guy responds something like "How would you like it if I came over and farted all over your food"

Even if you can't prove passive smoke kills, I strongly support a ban on public smoking. If people want to smoke, they should do it at home.
HoboPelican
snowboardalliance wrote:

Even if you can't prove passive smoke kills, I strongly support a ban on public smoking. If people want to smoke, they should do it at home.

Big Trouble, I think. Great movie.

So if it is just the annoyance factor, can we ask that lady or guy who's wearing way to much cologne to move? That would be sweet. Oh, and the family with the loud kids that are throwing food. I like this. Wink
pennymellow
snowboardalliance wrote:

That's a poor example

I stand by my example. It was more a case of comparing addictions.
Hammy
My dad smokes.. and being honest it is killing him Sad .. n i hate it. i want him to stop but her cant. He's tried.. but oviously not trying hard enough. I'm around him quite alot. so i guess i'm a passive smoker.. which i guess he's kill me too then :'(
ryanh2006
Yes I totally agree that second hand smoking is both dangerous as well rude. Obviously it also depends on the amount of smoke that u inhaled as well as the duration that u sat there inhaling it. Thankfully thou many countries, like the UK, are making it "safer" for nonsmokers. However, if you really hate second hand smoke than you should speak your mind. Having said that thou, I still respect the rights of smokers and I think that "us" non-smokers shouldn't be too inconsiderent of their rights. There should be places for smokers to congregate and inhale eachother's smoke!!
LhouisHarper
Obviously smoking is bad for health, would it be passive or not. But it is more dangerous to those who are passive smokers, this is because nicotine content of the cigarette is not being filtered compare to those who actively smoked it. there are many diseases that can be formed as a cause of smoking. There's a study saying that smoking is the most common risk factor of obesity and type 2 diabetes.
Although a further research must be done to prove it.

Here's some information that can help you decide whether it contributes or not.
http://www.thinktankmag.com/2012-06/secondhand-smoke-linked-to-increased-obesity-and-type-2-diabetes-risk.html
spinout
They say smoking reduces the childs cells by two thirds. Or was it one third? My mom smoked likef hell when i grew up. But today she uses snus instead, chew tobacco almost.
deanhills
My parents also smoked quite heavily. I guess when you're a kid you just get used to it. I don't think it affected my growth however. They eventually had to stop when first my dad developed heart cramps and then my mom. Now both of them are probably the biggest anti-smokers ever. For some or other reason I never got to smoke. I did try it at University but it never caught on.
memno
yeah, junkies should be eliminated on sight. Stupid addicts. How dare they corrupt the air I breathe.
don't they know chain-smoking leads to emphysema and lung cancer? Of course they do.
Have you ever been addicted to a poison? Thought not. Your attacking judgments are groundless.
Unless theyre being arrogant and blowing smoke in your face, hold your breath and walk past.
abhizz
I don't smoke! But my father do. It killing us :lol
Afaceinthematrix
LhouisHarper wrote:
Obviously smoking is bad for health, would it be passive or not. But it is more dangerous to those who are passive smokers, this is because nicotine content of the cigarette is not being filtered compare to those who actively smoked it. there are many diseases that can be formed as a cause of smoking. There's a study saying that smoking is the most common risk factor of obesity and type 2 diabetes.
Although a further research must be done to prove it.

Here's some information that can help you decide whether it contributes or not.
http://www.thinktankmag.com/2012-06/secondhand-smoke-linked-to-increased-obesity-and-type-2-diabetes-risk.html

You quoted some magazine; not a scientific article. The study had a relatively small sample size and did not really show any actual correlation. Actually, they even mentioned that they couldn't show any actual real correlation between the two and that more studies have to be done.

It sounds like hokum to me. Always make sure that you get science from scientists and peer-reviewed papers and not pop culture.