FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Gay Marriage

Harley14
Do not get me wrong, in now way am I homophobic, if someone wants to be gay that is their choice and I have the utmost respect for them for being proud of their sexuality. But one thing I do not condone is gay marriage. Marriage is a sacred thing, it is the holy, and lawful, unification of a man and woman, technically it shouldn't even exist. Of course gay couples want to show their love for each other, but it should not be legal to do so by marriage. I am all for equality and gay people getting the same benefits, housing, jobs etc. But the only thing I think they shouldn't be able to do is to unify in wedlock.

What are everyone else's opinions?

This forum has a wide variety of readers from all over the world and gay marriage may already be ilegal, but here in England it is legal for the time being.

My every apology if this offends you, I was just saying my opinion, in now way was it meant to be offensive in anyway.
jipmerite
God gave humans the gift of intelligence and now humans are at a loss to what to do with it...

Gay is not a natural thing...The same way beastiality is not a natural thing.... If there were enough people wanting to have sex with Donkeys should marriage between Man and Donkey be legalised?

There are so lot of peope, both men and women who choose to be gay..there has been a popular unrising for their rights...so some governments have had to give in to the pressure...

So if tomorrow there was a sizable community that wants to be married to donkeys, snakes and horsesm would it be legalised? Well, it should be now that gay marriage has also been legalised.

You are being very diplomatic saying you have nothing against being gay. But of you want to deny the rights of these people at the same time, then you are just another hypocrite...Let's face it... Gay is not natural.

If you believe in God, then if Gay is natural then God would have given Man a Vagina and Women a Penis.

If you believe in Evolution and not God, then if Gay is natural we would have evolved to have those same organs for homosexial procreation...
Harley14
Quote:
you want to deny the rights of these people

Marriage between to men is not in the human rights act.
Subsonic Sound
In this country at the very least, marriage always has a legal component, and only sometimes has a religious component. So marriage is primarily a LEGAL proceding, not a religious one.

In purely legal terms, there is no reason why gay folk shouldn't get married.

On religious grounds, there may be a reason. But why should the small proportion of people who are devoutly religious in this DEMOCRATIC country decide the rules for the majority?
adredwood
On a purely knee-jerk, reationary level im tempted to point out the obvious homophobia (despite contrary statements), but since that itself is a knee-jerk reaction ill move on to other issues. Since there is no harm caused to others by gay marriage there can be no logical objection to it from those it does not involve - personal liberty should always be a priority of any legal system. And since the US legal system is currently being assaulted by a series of right-wing ideologues who condone torture and pre-emptive warfare while berating the evils of pre-marital sex and gay marriage, its safe to assume Americans should make up their own mind rather than trusting their figures of authority.

Just a thought, feel free to disagree.

Andy
Citizen Kane
Luckily here in the netherlands Gay marriage is Legalized. I'm no gay, but I think everyone deserves to be happy and wedded. Religious rules should have nothing to do with this.
Sappho
Ok just a quick quotes from the similar topics so i dont have to refolmulate em and waste time.

Bondings wrote:
psycosquirrel wrote:

I am against gay marriage because marriage is a religious thing. I think there should be a legal bond equivalent to marriage, except without the religous aspect, for gay couples.

Why is marriage a religious thing? It is completely a legal bond. If it wouldn't be then how can atheists marry? By the way, if marriage would be religious, then it wouldn't have legal aspects at all.

Oh another one for jipmerite and what he was reffering to with the "unnatural" course.

Sappho wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Sappho wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
No, being straight is what I'd refer to as "normal"
You should try it.

Normal? By whom? By the society? I would rather refer to something as normal if it feels right. :/ Does it make any harm to others? Is there any other reason than "trying to be normal" just to be in "harmony" with society? I guess not.

It IS theoretically curable. Wink

I've heard of lawyers attempting to protect pedofiles/bestialiters under the theory that there is something physically/menally wrong with them which makes them commit the crimes.

I am not questioning the couse of sexual orientation i am just saying there is nothing wrong with it. Pedofiles/bestialites arent the same, couse its a one way affection where most likely the other side isnt feeling the same towards the pedofile. But where do i harm anyone when i go out with a girl which also likes to be with me? I hope u see my point, and being "cured" just couse someone will feel better that i am "normal" isnt quite going to make it as an argument to do so. :/
Bondings
Harley14 wrote:
Quote:
you want to deny the rights of these people

Marriage between to men is not in the human rights act.

Oh yes it is, equality between men and women. Same rights and duties. If a man has the right to marry a woman, then a woman should have the same right - otherwise it's sexual discrimination. The same for the opposite, of course.
uslhoops
Im not up with it... its not a good thing thats just it!
jipmerite
Quote:
Why is marriage a religious thing? It is completely a legal bond. If it wouldn't be then how can atheists marry?

This was a very good point. Different religions approach marriage differently. That is a whole other discussion.

We are talking here about the legal aspects of marriage. So if Gay can be legal, why not Beastiality? Okay so the animal cannot express it's pleasure... but sometimes there are dogs who do show interest and enthusiasm to have sex with it's human partner if it has been in a beastiality relationship.... Know what I mean?

So in that case, shouldn't the human have the right to marry the dog?

Quote:
everyone deserves to be happy and wedded.

Isn't that right? Why should this right be limited to humans...in a purely legal sense...
Harley14
Quote:
Why is marriage a religious thing?

Where do you get married? In a church. What is a church? A church is a place of worship to almighty God. Marriage was created by religious people and is a religious thing, so why the hell wouldn't it be religious?
Sappho
Harley14 wrote:
Quote:

Where do you get married? In a church. What is a church? A church is a place of worship to almighty God. Marriage was created by religious people and is a religious thing, so why the hell wouldn't it be religious?

Who told you that you can marry only in church? Laughing
jipmerite
I don't know about how the concept of marriage started. But in the modern world, marriage has a religious association in most societies. The marriage ceremony is mainly religious in nature with most modern religions putting guidelines for the procedure. Christians do it in a church, Hindus have a very elaborate ceremony, both jews and muslims also look at marriage from a very religious perspective,

But now a days most governments are trying to seperate religion and state. So this should apply to marriage as well...To some extent this has been achieved as now it is possible to marry in court. I guess it comes in use when people of different religions want to have a simple marriage.

I don't think there is any religion in the world who have guidelines for same sex marriage. Religions are mainly opposed to it. Same sex marriage is purely a legal undertaking. And since that is the case, people of other sexual preferences should also be treated equally...
Sappho
jipmerite wrote:
I don't think there is any religion in the world who have guidelines for same sex marriage. Religions are mainly opposed to it. Same sex marriage is purely a legal undertaking. And since that is the case, people of other sexual preferences should also be treated equally...[/color]

Maybe i should start that kind of religion then, make it popular and supported by state. Would that put another light on this issue? Would that change anything? I mean anyone can start a new religion, what is to it. Smile
jipmerite
You're right. Anyone should be able to start a new religion. But you'll probably need a very good promotional campaign to get followers. The Bible has been rated as the Best Selling Book of all time.
Citizen Kane
Harley14 wrote:

The difference between the UK and Belgium/Holland/Slovakia is probably that in the latter coutries you can marry without doing this in church. it takes place in the Townhall. I believe this isn't possible in the UK.
bebeaiiya
gay marriages is great there is nothing wrong with two guys getting married , theyre probably girls in the wrong body .. ahahaha (Y) go the gays
jipmerite
I think I read about this is another forum...can't remember exactly...But anyway, we are hearing a lot about gay marriage these days and how they have a right to it.

Now more and more states and countries are accepting and adopting it. So gays can now legally be married. But as in hetero sexual marriages, even gay marriages sometimes might not work out, leading to divorce.

Have the laws on Gay Divorce also been written? In a same sex marriage, who pays who the Alimony after dovorce? Which person gets the custody of the children? In a hetero-marriage, it is usually the mother.
Insanity
jipmerite wrote:
Quote:
Why is marriage a religious thing? It is completely a legal bond. If it wouldn't be then how can atheists marry?

This was a very good point. Different religions approach marriage differently. That is a whole other discussion.

We are talking here about the legal aspects of marriage. So if Gay can be legal, why not Beastiality? Okay so the animal cannot express it's pleasure... but sometimes there are dogs who do show interest and enthusiasm to have sex with it's human partner if it has been in a beastiality relationship.... Know what I mean?

So in that case, shouldn't the human have the right to marry the dog?

Quote:
everyone deserves to be happy and wedded.

Isn't that right? Why should this right be limited to humans...in a purely legal sense...

I hope we aren't getting to the point where we are comparing gay people to animals, and gay marriage to beastiality...
James007
bebeaiiya wrote:
theyre probably girls in the wrong body .. ahahaha (Y) go the gays

I don't think you understand what being gay is about. Gays aren't transsexuals...
agusta
we never have the rights to is0late homosexuls....why??????
its because that they too are human beings.....we cant deny the fact that...its not their fault that made them a homosexual....its the hormonal imbalance that made them do it.....the same s gonna happen to all....if at all our hormonal balance too varies!!!!!!!
but gay marriages....if at all......they need t....let them live...but only on one condition they should never try or dare to disturb any person as long as they don belong to that domain....if at all two people love each other and wants to live together ...let them.....else there starts depression and all other paranoa which will lead to evolution of phsychopaths.......
SFMeatwad
Sigh..

God put us here for a reason: To Love One Another

Sure, I love my parents, everyone in my community, but racism and homophic..ism.. is not really tolerated. Without Homosexuals, would we really have the good clothes? How do you think a woman put's new styles into jeans? Well, some men, or homosexuals, do. All benefits can come from having homosexuals in our community, but it's their choice on what they want to be or do in life, not the other people.

Try not to criticize.

Edit: As for beastiality, that should be illegal, because that's just not humane.

(No, I am not a homosexual, I have a girlfriend.)
simp
There is nothing any more wrong with marriage between two persons of the same gender than between two persons of different genders. Indeed, since persons of the same gender are more similar to each other than those who are not, such relationsips can be expected to be more harmonious and fulfilling than relationships between those of different genders.

Nevertheless, no one is saying that you MUST marry someone of the same gender, only that you have the right to do so if you so choose.

And consider this: imagine a law prohibiting homosexual marriage. now, everywhere it says HOMOSEXUAL, substitute the word NEGRO. Would you still think it's okay? You must do so, since if it is okay to discriminate against someone because of their sexual orientation, then it must be okay to do so baecause of the color of their skin.
maopis
I really don't know what my view is.

On one hand I say no. Marriage in the church is defined as one man and one woman. I grew up in the church, and what the church says is wrong should never be. But then I stop and think that I do things the church would most certainly condemn me for, and there aren't (too many) laws that prevent me from doing it, so why should gay couples have that (mostly legal) freedom, as well?

On the other hand, though, I say yes. Two people, any two people, can fall in love. And those two people, even if they are homosexual, should be able commit themselves to each other like any other heterosexual couple.

I do suppose in the end God's Word trumps my beliefs, and even if I'm not in the posistion to judge, I should still be able to determine right from wrong.
cbf-cma
If gay ppl want to get married then that's really none of my business. If gay ppl like each other then that's good for them. I should hope that they are as tolerant about straight ppl getting married as well. If gay people said I couldn't get married, then I would very pissed off. DONT TREAD ON ME!
Bourgondier
with respect: I really have to trow up....
jipmerite
simp wrote:
There is nothing any more wrong with marriage between two persons of the same gender than between two persons of different genders. Indeed, since persons of the same gender are more similar to each other than those who are not, such relationsips can be expected to be more harmonious and fulfilling than relationships between those of different genders.

Nevertheless, no one is saying that you MUST marry someone of the same gender, only that you have the right to do so if you so choose.

And consider this: imagine a law prohibiting homosexual marriage. now, everywhere it says HOMOSEXUAL, substitute the word NEGRO. Would you still think it's okay? You must do so, since if it is okay to discriminate against someone because of their sexual orientation, then it must be okay to do so baecause of the color of their skin.

The color of ones skin is inherited. It is not ones choice. So you really cannot compare it with homosexuality. There are many theories of why people become homosexual. But let's face it, it has never been called NORMAL before. WHat has happened now is that the social stigma over this has been reduced.

What should be done is that if someone is having such feelings he/she should get Therapy. Not hail them as the lords of this generation. If not, then why should people in Beastiality or Pedophiles not have their rights as well? Why are they made outcasts? They should also be treated equally.
Trapper
As you already know, here in the states, Gay marriage is getting banned state by state with constitutional votes. If the Fed's try to take that away from the states, there will be an uprising among the Christians.

It's plain and simple in the Bible that Gay lifestyle and marriage is wrong. We just learned this past weekend, my wife's best friend growing up (whom she hasn't seen in about 5 years) is Gay. She showed up at an event with her "partner" and it was kind of weird. We had fun visiting with them, but I couldn't get used to the idea and continually felt it was wrong.

None-the-less, we caught up on each other's lives, etc. and now it just reaffirms a feeling my wife had about her for the last few years based on some e-mails and Christmas cards, etc.
hypercube
Quote:
Winning by losing
Today's New York Times' opinion section contains an interesting and apparently unintended juxtaposition of articles.

The first discusses the ongoing reaction to last year's Supreme Court ruling on eminent domain, Kelo v. New London.

Sometimes, Supreme Court cases have a way of highlighting issues that had been absent from the national agenda, and the cases can provoke reactions that have a far greater impact than the ruling itself. ....

Dana Berliner, a lawyer with the Institute for Justice, the libertarian legal group that represented the homeowners in both the Connecticut and Ohio cases, said the United States Supreme Court decision, Kelo v. New London, gave rise to a tidal wave of outrage.

The decision brought to light this incredible rift between what lawyers and cities thought was the law and what the American people thought was the law, Ms. Berliner said. This is certainly the situation of losing the battle and winning the war.

And Kelo isn't an isolated incident. Our history is filled with examples of court rulings that prompted legislative changes that eventually overthrew the original ruling. A 1972 Supreme Court ruling, for example, is the reason many states now have so-called "shield" laws protecting journalists from having to reveal confidential sources.

Or, as one observer put it:

I always tell my students, said Douglas Laycock, a law professor at the University of Texas, that one of the best things you can do is lose a case in the Supreme Court.

The article notes that most such backlashes are "conservative, populist reactions to decisions that seem elitist. That fact notwithstanding, the second article, a few pages later, applies similar logic to another issue: gay marriage, and recent adverse court rulings in New York and Washington state.

These defeats have demoralized supporters of gay marriage, but I see a silver lining. If heterosexual instability and the link between heterosexual sex and human reproduction are the best arguments opponents of same-sex marriage can muster, I cant help but feel that our side must be winning. Insulting heterosexuals and discriminating against children with same-sex parents may score the other side a few runs, but these strategies wont win the game.

So Im confident that one day my son will live in a country that allows his parents to marry. His parents are already married, as far as hes concerned, as my boyfriend and I tied the knot in Canada more than a year and a half ago. We recognize, even if the courts do not, that its in his best interest for us to be married.

He's not really arguing that there has been a backlash in favor of gay marriage. Indeed, recent events show the reverse: rulings in favor of gay marriage in Vermont and Massachusetts led to bans on gay marriage (and civil unions) in several states.

But that's current voters; future voters are a different matter. Young adults have much less of an issue with gays than their elders do. Hence my ongoing prediction that in 20 years gay marriage will be a fact, as those young adults become steady voters.

Conventional wisdom notes that people grow more conservative as they get older, and I think that's true. So perhaps those young adults will turn against gay marriage as they get older. But the conventional wisdom applies most strongly to areas where self interest plays a role. Young people, who have little, are more supportive of wealth distribution; as they get older they become more supportive of laws that let them keep what they've earned. The bigger a stake people have in the current system, the more they will support it and oppose radical change.

With gay marriage there's no self-interest factor; even most opponents of gay marriage admit that allowing gays to marry wouldn't affect their own relationship. So it comes down to what people think of homosexuality, and that's not the sort of belief that is likely to swing a whole lot as people age.

Given that, it might be tempting to describe these articles as illustrating short-term vs. long-term outcomes. But that's not really the case. Kelo, for instance, is both a short-term and a long-term winner.

So what's the distinction? I think it's simple. The Kelo case provoked such loud, bipartisan outrage because it seemed to attack a fundamental American value: the right to be secure in one's property, regardless of how well or poorly that property is managed in the eyes of outsiders.

Opposition to gay marriage reflects no such underlying value. It's a personal decision, driven at least partly by the belief that homosexuality is wrong. And not just wrong, but so wrong that homosexual relationships are objectively inferior to heterosexual relationships and thus not deserving of the same rights.

And that's simply not the consensus. There are plenty of people who feel discomfort about homsexuality; but not all of them believe that their discomfort justifies discrimination -- especially because, whatever you think in the general case, there are plenty of homosexual couples that have better relationships and make better parents than many heterosexual couples. Opposition to gay marriage thus finds itself in conflict with another underlying American value: our sense of fair play and equality under the law.

Rulings that offend an underlying value do not stand for long. Hence, Kelo. And hence gay marriage in the long run.
Sappho
Trapper wrote:
It's plain and simple in the Bible that Gay lifestyle and marriage is wrong. We just learned this past weekend, my wife's best friend growing up (whom she hasn't seen in about 5 years) is Gay. She showed up at an event with her "partner" and it was kind of weird. We had fun visiting with them, but I couldn't get used to the idea and continually felt it was wrong.

Why do most of the christians feel like they own the world? They seem to insist to know whats right and wrong for others, and whats worse they even try to force it. Rolling Eyes
DivineConclave
Subsonic Sound wrote:
In this country at the very least, marriage always has a legal component, and only sometimes has a religious component. So marriage is primarily a LEGAL proceding, not a religious one.

In purely legal terms, there is no reason why gay folk shouldn't get married.

On religious grounds, there may be a reason. But why should the small proportion of people who are devoutly religious in this DEMOCRATIC country decide the rules for the majority?

Most intelligent response I have seen to this issue. And I agree completely. One thing that bothers me is that everyone's arguement against it is taken from a Christian standpoint.

"...between a man and a woman..." is the most common phrase heard. That's a very monotheistic view. There are many other religions out there that would disagree. So, taking that into account, along with the separation of church and state thing that we're SUPPOSED to be following, I say let them get married. Love is love. Who are we to tell someone they're not allowed to love someone else? Who is being more 'sinful'? Those who are in love or those who try to stop them?
picsite
I completely agree it should be allowed. Let the people do what they want.
carlospro7
I honestly dont have a problem with gays or gay marriage. it doesnt hurt me in anyway (oh yeah, by the way, I'm not gay). So why try to stop it? I just don't see the point in making it a big deal.
girlcalledjay
In a world that seems so full of hate and violence and neglect and aloneness, what the hell is wrong with not only celebrating love and commitment, but also recognizing it in a legal sense?

Love is amazing and wonderful and if two people can get through all the crap in the world and to find happiness in each other, then let them be for God's sake.