FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Fedora 5 Freez

Rubbinio
Hi all,

my wife needs to use Fedora for work so I installed FC5 for her on the home PC. It all went fine up to first boot. I can not boot in any way as the system allways freezes at "Checking for new hardware" and all i can do is reset.

Here are my specs:

AMD Athlon64 3000+
ASUS A8V
1GB DDR Memory Kit OCZ
Sapphire Radeon X800 AGP
Firewire Card
SATA 40GB Barracuda 7200 - Fedora HDD
IDE Samsung 150Gb - WinXP 64

I am trying to run Fedora Core 5 x86_64 DVD version downloaded today from Fedora website.

Any help and tips greatelly appreciated.

I tried to remove rghb and quite - No Luck
Tried to add noprobe - no help.

The only time it did more but still froze when trying to open X-Window i guess is when i used apm=off acpi=off noresume nosmp noapic noprobe - It loaded, detected my videocard, outputed Radeon X800 [OK] and then i got the mouse pointer on a black screen and then it froze again.

I used to run Mandriva 2006 x86_64 and it work without a glitch. So please help me get Fedora to run somehow.

Should i downgrade to Fedora Core 4 ? Is it more stable ?

Thanks
Rubbs
urangkayo
i think Fedora Core 5 have a lot of bugs. When i first time install Fedora Core 5, i can't install completely. my computer always restart.

now i use Fedora Core 4 again, this version much stable than fedora core 5.
Rubbinio
Well, i finally managed to run it and I tracked it down at 2 things:

- the video card drivers are not compatible with the kernel released with the iso (2.6.15) so you should update it right away

- second because of the videocard the first run configuration script crasesh.

So you can boot interecatrive, do not run the first-run script and then go on and disable it from services. Put in the new kernel and the new ATI drivers and it works.

A good website for Fedora5 install and config is here:

http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html

Except this so far my install works fine and is very stable.

Hope this helps to those who might get into this problem.
urangkayo
Quote:
A good website for Fedora5 install and config is here:

http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html

thanks for this link, i want to try install Fedora Core 5 again

thanks mate Very Happy
chaly133
I think you' re better use Fedora 4 instead, because new version always have bug.
anshu
I think Fedora 5 version is ready for download,
Have anyone tried it,
do any bravo knowits download url,
urangkayo
chaly133 wrote:
I think you' re better use Fedora 4 instead, because new version always have bug.

i think like that, because my fedora core 5 not stable after i install again.

i hope it'll ok at fedora core 6
urangkayo
anshu wrote:
I think Fedora 5 version is ready for download,
Have anyone tried it,
do any bravo knowits download url,

yes, fedora core 5 have been released version, but i think have a bug from this distro.

if you want to try this distro, look here

http://fedora.redhat.com/Download/

regards
Rubbinio
I tried a couple of distros (x64 and x32) over the past few weeks so here is my conclusion

Fedora 5 - a bit to buggy and somewhat unstable compared to Fedora 4

Suse 10.1 - easy install, nice tools selection, small issue with ATI videocards, the process to get the driver up is a bit tricky but once you do it the system is very stable. I liked that fact that it comes with Flash, Adobe and a lot more proprietary software built-in. A loot of repositories with additional software. I tried to re-compile the kernel but once done it never wanted to boot up.

Mandrake 2006 PowerPack+ - same as Suse with a lot of packages, very nice and easy kernel building, it run like a charm. I found it very hard however to install/compile other software on it. A lot of missing dependencies even though I did a full install. You have to have the easyurpmi available every time you need to do a compilation.

Ubuntuu - Typical open source Linux. No proprietary packages included, you need to install everything by yourself which can be very time consuming.

So between the 4, i ended up with Suse 10.1 x64 which for now seems to be the most stable and fully featured 64-bit Linux distro out there.
anurag_bhd
Rubbinio wrote:

So between the 4, i ended up with Suse 10.1 x64 which for now seems to be the most stable and fully featured 64-bit Linux distro out there.

I storngly agree with you on this matter. I also tried the FC5, actually I was too anxious to try it for it being the latest from the old and trusty Red Hat. The install went on fine and without a hitch. But my concerns started when it didn't properly support my Intel 945GM chipset, may be a driver upgrade will do the needed 'magic'. But the support for the latest hardware ought to be included in it, at least this is expected out of them.
Nevertheless, initially it didn;t support my NTFS partitions either (though a minor kernal update gave it a kick start). And the package manager just stinks. On my dual core, it takes a million years to actually initialize fully.

So, tired of it, I ultimately decided to shift back to the faithful FC4.

Hey, enough of the FC now. Between, I just forgot to mention about the SuSE 10.1. It really is good and I am using it too. Nice interface, easy to use, and the package manager Yast2 is very good with you always. Wink