FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help a n00b obtain a domain?

Juparis
Greetings, everyone! Very Happy
I've enjoyed the many great benefits of Frihost for quite some time. I've never made anything big--just a small personal site and blog for friends. Now, however, I have a new site in the making. It's for family, and I would like to purchase a cheap domain name.

The only problem is that I have no clue how to do this. I've read numerous threads describing how to configure Frihost to link to this domain, but I'm still a bit confused: Does Frihost allow you to register your domain? It would be nice if I didn't have to sign up for anything more than what I have here...

Also, would it be possible to keep my small blog (for friends or whatever) at the original address? (***.frih.net)

I guess all I'd really like to know at this point is whether or not I can register a domain name with Frihost, how much it would cost, and how I can pay for it (assuming I even can). Thanks in advance!
SpellcasterDX
Quote:
The only problem is that I have no clue how to do this. I've read numerous threads describing how to configure Frihost to link to this domain, but I'm still a bit confused: Does Frihost allow you to register your domain? It would be nice if I didn't have to sign up for anything more than what I have here...

Also, would it be possible to keep my small blog (for friends or whatever) at the original address? (***.frih.net)

I guess all I'd really like to know at this point is whether or not I can register a domain name with Frihost, how much it would cost, and how I can pay for it (assuming I even can). Thanks in advance!

No Frihost does not give domains. They host domains with ns1.frihost.net and ns2.frihost.net. They don't register domains or give any DNS. Some people get confused between registering domains and hosting domains. Frihost just allows you to host domains you've already registered elsewhere, they don't actually do the registering. Wink
Juparis
I thought I had it all down, but after reading your post, I'm lost all over again.
So I have to register a domain with some other site, but do I have to change anything I have with a normal subdomain account (as in, upgrading the actual account)?
Scorpio
Okay, for getting low cost domains(for the first one year) these sites will help:

1. www.ipower.com - 2.95$

2. smallbusiness.yahoo.com - 2.95$ (Not always)

Here the domain names are at the above price for the 1st year alone(as an offer) and then from the 2nd year onwards becomes 10$(approx)

Other reliable registrars include:

1. www.namecheap.com
2. www.godaddy.com

Here, the domain names range around 8$ for even the first year and continues at the same rate for even subsequent years

Once you register a domain from here,
you go to the control panel of your domain account at the registrar
then,

Quote:
Registrar setup:
1. Set the Nameservers to be:

ns1.frih.net (Primary DNS)
ns2.frih.net (Secondary DNS)

After that, you do this at frihost

Quote:
Frihost setup:

1. Login in to DirectAdmin.
2. Click "Domain Setup" under "Your Account".
3. Click "Add Another Domain".
4. Input your own domain (something like "domain.com") and click the "Create" button.

2. Wait for some time (maximum is one day) for your domain to work.

You get a public_html for every such new domain you create, so this works just like your earlier xxx.frih.net domain
You just put the stuff into the public html folder, and work it normally

You can also retain the earlier .frih.net domain as long you dont exceed the 250mb limit(which now includes both domains)

I hope this helps
Juparis
Thank you so much. I don't know why I wasn't able to grasp onto that earlier. I guess I just got confused when I thought I would have to register (or upgrade) here at Frihost. Watch out world, a new domain is on its way. Very Happy
engeland
Since this thread goes about domains offered by namecheap.com, i how do you actually make payment by paypal? Can someone explain how this goes about?

And say, i'd like to purchase one via a creditcard, do i have to buy the number of years i'll be paying for it upfront? Or could i just purchase it for the first year and then renew every year. If i can, how do i do this.
Scorpio
engeland wrote:
Since this thread goes about domains offered by namecheap.com, i how do you actually make payment by paypal? Can someone explain how this goes about?

And say, i'd like to purchase one via a creditcard, do i have to buy the number of years i'll be paying for it upfront? Or could i just purchase it for the first year and then renew every year. If i can, how do i do this.

You can renew every year or pay upfront as you wish
Juparis
Ok, not sure if I should have made an entirely new thread or not, but I'm curious.

What's a good pricing for a domain name registration, including the WHOIS protection? I browsed some sites, and most advertised less than $10/year for the domain, but after I tried registrating (just to see the price), suddenly the cost goes up to something like $40/year. Is this common among these sites, and is it a good price?

If anyone could refer me to a cheaper site, I'd appreciate it, but I'd also like the WHOIS protection. I've tried searching Google, but have turned up only the misleading and suspicious.
Scorpio
40$ is too much for whois protection. Approx 12$ a year is a good price

I am not sure about the cheapest WHOIS protection available though..

I ll have to check
engeland
what's a WHOIS?

and is it secured to pay by credit card on a website? how do determine whether its secured. Im a student and with the exchange rate and all, the last thing i want is get my money gone down the drain Confused
Scorpio
engeland wrote:
what's a WHOIS?

and is it secured to pay by credit card on a website? how do determine whether its secured. Im a student and with the exchange rate and all, the last thing i want is get my money gone down the drain Confused

It is actually spelled WHO IS ?

So it is used to find the details about a domain name owner or an IP

You can check out www.whois.org

Also, in a website, if you see a "lock" like sign(usually) at the right bottom of the status bar, it means that is a secure site.

You can bring you cursor over it and then you ll notice a flag stating something like this "Signed by Thawte consulting" or "Signed by somebody"

You can click on that to know more about the security of that site
engeland
That has certainly cleared things out for me. Thanx scorpio