FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Jazz music - Trombone - Piano

Larsza
Hey, does anyone know some good jazz music with trombone and/or piano? I play the two instruments myself and it would be nice if I could expand my music collection. I have found some good music with Troy "Trombone" Andrews and with Sugarman on iTunes. What do you guys listen to?

Lars
romaop
Search for Jay Jay Johnson to catch the 60s-80s jazz spirit. This trombonist is always an inspiration for others. It's like Art Tatum or Bill Evans on the piano. In fact, JJJ played with Bill Evans, Clifford Brown and other notable players.
And what about nowadays jazz trombonists? I give you 2 suggestions:
Wycliffe Gordon
Nils Landgren

Let's now face the piano. Well, in this section there are dozens of fantastic players. Chick Corea, Keith Jarrett, Brad Mehldau, Mαrio Laginha, Bill Evans, Art Tatum, Herbie Hancock, Oscar Peterson...
Robban
Larsza wrote:
Hey, does anyone know some good jazz music with trombone and/or piano? I play the two instruments myself and it would be nice if I could expand my music collection. I have found some good music with Troy "Trombone" Andrews and with Sugarman on iTunes. What do you guys listen to?

Lars

J.J have recorded a few albums wit a guy namned Kai winding. so search for jay and kai. That is very good.

And you also have Frank Rosolino. Mine favourite!!
Shike
See, when I think of Jazz, I go back to Ellington, Tommy Dorsey, Jack Teagarden, Fats Waller. Etc. If you are looking for more "modern" jazz, Brubeck is a good pianist, and others that have been mentioned are good as well. Also, I suggest listening to other instrumentalists as there is quite a bit of crossover capability in jazz. (I regularaly listen to Louis Armstrong for Clarinet inspiration, Brubeck for Trombone, Goodman for Sax and Clarinet). Don't limit yourself to the instruments you play, listen to more than that, because certain techniques can be used accross instruments.