FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Francais Québec

How did you find the french from Québec ?
Good
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Medium
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Bad
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

themik
Comment trouver vous le Francais au Québec ?
How did you find the french from Québec ?

De mon coter, je trouve le francais du Québec très médiocre, il invite des mots de tout bord tout coter.
For myselft, i find the french from Québec is bad, he create word.

Et vous ?
And you ?

ThEMiK
alkady
The Franglais is a bit funny, I live in Montreal so I rarely see people talk Franglais (French-English).
kazikame
As far as I know, I speak the French from France. I'm not aware of any differences but I remember someone saying that there's some spelling differences.
themik
Yes is différent, my primary language is French from Québec. Shocked My second is English. So it's difficult to speak with you for me...
alkady
themik wrote:
Yes is différent, my primary language is French from Québec. Shocked My second is English. So it's difficult to speak with you for me...

Sure is, Its no different from British English and North American English. In Britain, They call a Bus a Lorry and a Elevator a Lift, While in North America, A Lorry is a Bus and a Lift is actually asking for a Ride on a Vehicle.
themik
Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:30 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

themik wrote:
Yes is différent, my primary language is French from Québec. My second is English. So it's difficult to speak with you for me...

Sure is, Its no different from British English and North American English. In Britain, They call a Bus a Lorry and a Elevator a Lift, While in North America, A Lorry is a Bus and a Lift is actually asking for a Ride on a Vehicle.

The Frihost Lotto is back in business!

Haha yes sure Wink
AndiMac
alkady wrote:

Actually, Quebecois French is a fair amount more different from French French than that.

Short history lesson: Britain became rulers of all of Canada, the French having signed over their part of Canada around 1780. At this time, rich French people who could afford it went back to France (who wants to be ruled by the English?). This left the merchant class as the dominant French-speaking group.

So due to both isolation from the rest of the French-speaking world and the fact that it was a merchant class French, not "high-class" French that was mainly being spoken, it has both grammatical, pronunciation and vocabulary differences from French French.

For the most part if you speak Quebecois French, you can understand French French and vice versa, as long as both speak clearly and don't slip into slang. Some word differences will still exist though.

Quoting Wikipedia:
Quote:
If a comparison can be made, the differences between both dialects are probably larger than those between American and British English, but not as large as those between standard German and Swiss German.

You simply have to accept it's different and not try and compare it to someone who grew up in Paris and went to Sorbonne. I like the sound of it, but I can totally understand it's not for everyone.
themik
I speak french in quebec and i don'st like the french in france Razz Rolling Eyes
karysky
Québec French is not BAD.. it's different, that's all.

It is an example on how different cultures color the world !

The words are the same, it's only the prononciation that changes. And maybe some expressions too, but these are unique to each country.

I don't know why some people are intolerant to some other culture, even if they're as close as sharing the same language... but anyway Smile

I love both French and Québécois... although I speak Québécois Wink
eday2010
I learned the real French (from France), in high school. I refuse to speak the bastardized garbage they speak in Quebec. It's horrible. And the accent is bad too. The accent from France sounds classy, while the Quebec accent sounds low class and trashy. And the use of English words instead of French words is just lame. How much harder is it to say "pnue" instead of "tire", or "camion" instead of "truck"? Lame! That's why when I am forced to speak French to someone , I speak the little I know properly, and as they would in France. Or, to mess the buggers up, I will use some words from the Swiss French dialect, like "septante" or "huitante" Wink
karysky
eday2010 wrote:
I learned the real French (from France), in high school. I refuse to speak the bastardized garbage they speak in Quebec. It's horrible. And the accent is bad too. The accent from France sounds classy, while the Quebec accent sounds low class and trashy. And the use of English words instead of French words is just lame. How much harder is it to say "pnue" instead of "tire", or "camion" instead of "truck"? Lame! That's why when I am forced to speak French to someone , I speak the little I know properly, and as they would in France. Or, to mess the buggers up, I will use some words from the Swiss French dialect, like "septante" or "huitante" Wink

I must say something though... not everyone uses "tire" like you said, instead of "pneu". I am one of those who speak proper French with an accent that's all. People with correct education all speaks it properly. You hear the trash version of Québécois in the streets, or among friends... it's like with English. They have got slang language too. And what you are describing, the trash version of French, is our own slang. We don't use it on a day by day basis at work or in school....
rhathar
I don't speak Quebecois enough to really judge it, but I have to say after spending 4 semesters taking French in the States (which is very much taught as Parisian French) I couldn't speak even a bit when I moved to Montreal :p

However, as a slightly humourous side note, I've been told by people from France that the Quebecois accent sounds to Parisian speakers about how a very deep, strong Southern drawl would sound to middle American. Smile
olag
Quote:
De mon coter, je trouve le francais du Québec très médiocre, il invite des mots de tout bord tout coter.
For myselft, i find the french from Québec is bad, he create word.

You shouldn't say that because you don't know speak french "il invite des mots de tout bord tout coter." means nothing. In my opinion, the french in Quebec is medium, it's understable but not good.

PS: I don't know if my english is good so if you don't understand what i have said, tell me it.