FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any suggestions for a new cellphone?

meet in rio
I've had a very chunky Alcatel since 2000, and it's done what a cellphone ought to do: make calls and fit in my bag.

However, the battery life has degraded ridiculously and the phone is quite heavy. I also need a reliable phone to receive my exam results when I'm in the middle of nowhere, so I'm looking for a new, snazzy one.

I want it to

a) have a good battery life,
b) be lightweight and small,
c) be robust,
d) look nice and
e) not be amazingly expensive.

I'm really not that fussed about games, fancy ringtones or camera options, although these would all be fun.

Any suggestions? What do you lot have? I honestly have no idea what to type into Google/Kelkoo/eBay... there are so many phones out there. Shocked
CameraKitten
Get a VirginMobile baseline. It's pay-as-you-go, so if you're careful with your minutes, a 15 dollar card can last a whole month. The Phone itself is 80 dollars and it comes standard with ringtones and color display, Which I might add are awesome. Its about 3 inches high, an inch and a half wide, and an inch thick. Its a light flip phone. I have one, and I'll NEVER go back to the other providers.
alkady
I'm Presuming you live in Brazil? If so, I'd suggest Going Prepaid with the Local or Major Phone Company in your Country. Forget about what phone your getting, It depends region by region. You got some models available in your region and others that havent arrived. But if you could, Go for a flip phone, Trust me it's way better than a hand held one, I know from experience because the ones with screens have to be activated and always dials random numbers when your wearing tight clothing like SportWear.
jipmerite
It would have beem helpful if you had mentioned where you live.

Right now I think a great model is Nokia 6680. It as everything including GPRS Edge. In India it is available for about US$ 350.

It looks very smooth yet masculine. Great screen with 256K colors. Camera. Symbian OS so you can install many programs and games available for free on the internet.

I had actually bought a nokia 6670 a month before my friend bought this 6680. Now I am so jealous of his phone.... Smile
caroline
I'd suggest any verizon phone, especially if you can pair up with somebody you know very well to share plans. I got my phone for 40 bucks (because it was a buy 1 get 1 free plan and we split) and now I pay around 15 bucks for approximately 350 minutes to myself. It used to be 200 but we requested more minutes and they gave it to us for free!
Mithrandir
I have a Motorola RAZR and I really like it. Its not only cool looking but it has a lot of great features and gets good reception. It takes decent pictures for a phone (1.3 MP), has great internet access/AIM, and loads of other awesome features that I have grown to be dependant on like vocie activated calling.
Andrew426
If your just looking for a phone with basic features, good reception and good battery life, get a siemens (you know what they say about German engineering) Iv had 3 so far, all of them have worked brilliantly.
Im not sure if retailers will have any siemens phones left (Siemens is now BenQ-Siemens, Im not sure if these are any good) but their good phones.
Kaisonic
I'd say get one that flips open and closed. It's fun to hang up with, and there's no chance of hitting buttons accidentally when it's in something. (Sure there's key lock, but flipping is cooler). Seriously, flippy phones are awesome.
glock14
well i really love the flip cell phones, i used to have one, but it broke into two halfs lol!
raaeft1
I recently purchased a Sony Ericsson K300i. It is a compact phone with all features and a camera phone.It has a mini mp3 player also. The only constraint is the memory. But it is very good for normal use.
arnaw_kumar
Go for a nokia Symbian v3. N73 costs around 10000 Rs/-
airh3ad
Im good with nokia phone very user friendly.
Dean_The_Great
I'd get whatever the phone with the lowest cost is, it will have the least number of features, and the best battery life.
tony
I don't know how this goes for cost or if it is even available yet, but it looks sweet regardless:

http://www.gadgets-reviews.com/thinnest-mobile-phone-ever-seen.html

Super-slim phone! It's called the "Real CARD Phone" Mobile Phone.
ankitdatashn
I dont know whether the person in question still needs any advice but I would suggest going in for a nokia phone, 3500 is an option, 3110c nokia rocks like anything!
Helios
glock14 wrote:
well i really love the flip cell phones, i used to have one, but it broke into two halfs lol!

That's a good reason not to love them, or even like them.

Regarding the original post, I suggest looking into the Nokia 6000 – Classic Business series of phones:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nokia_products
Vrythramax
I have a Nextel provided for me by my job. I don't need all the bells and whistles...they would be nice, but all I really need is a phone.
deanhills
Helios wrote:
glock14 wrote:

That's a good reason not to love them, or even like them.

Regarding the original post, I suggest looking into the Nokia 6000 Classic Business series of phones:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nokia_products
I had a look Helios, and the 6682 looks interesting. Do you know whether there has been a more recent model based on 6682 design and features?
Jamestf347
Why Not Just Go To Websites, look through their products, what ever catches your eye, check it out with reviews, it's the easiest thing to do.
deanhills
Jamestf347 wrote:
Why Not Just Go To Websites, look through their products, what ever catches your eye, check it out with reviews, it's the easiest thing to do.
I would see that as a good start, however there is nothing that beats a recommendation from a friend who already has a good product. When I worked on the Wikipedia link for Nokia phones, there were virtually hundreds and the more I clicked on the more confused I got. I think it would be a good idea to look around at what friends and colleagues are using and to hear what they say about their products.
sheedatali
There is a lot of talk about Palm Pre, might be something you want to consider. All of Nokia N series phones are pretty good and since new Symbian OS being launched, it might be good time to get an S60V3 device might work out cheaper for you and they are very good.
airh3ad
I think you dont have money to buy new cellphone Joke.! :p
Denvis
I've been watching the news and there was this one segment about mobile phones and how easily it can be used to hack or be hacked by the users. I have a suggestion, how about buying a phone which has some sort of inbuilt firewall, data encryption or some sort of anti-virus.
pl0x
I have an lg xenon, it rocks Smile
rafaelplinio
one thing is for sure...
DO NOT BUY MOTOROLA!!!
The Battery of motorola`s are not good at all!!!

One good cell is Blackberry Storm.

very good one!!!

bye!
goutha
I suggest without any hesitation : Google phone, Nexus One.

It's the best phone on the market right now!
soljarag
I like my Palm Pre .... i think its coming to a gsm service provider soon......
ProwerBot
One word: Droid

=)
goutha
ProwerBot wrote:

=)

Well, I suggest Android and not Droid. Even that I think that the Nexus One is the best right now on the market, any phone with Android installed on it is a great phone.
ProwerBot
goutha wrote:
ProwerBot wrote:

=)

Well, I suggest Android and not Droid. Even that I think that the Nexus One is the best right now on the market, any phone with Android installed on it is a great phone.

Wait, idk if you understood but I meant the Motorola Droid which runs Android

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/off-the-markley/droid.jpg
ForceRun
I'm a fan of the iphone, I've had the basic flip phone, and the Blackjack 2 somewhat smart phone. Although the ones you have been talking about like the google phone might be interesting.