FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A DIY guide for hosting on your own computer

squirrelmaster
I have made a site on my own computer,
and I want to share that information with others so I have made that site for that purpose.

*edit: My site is @ http://pentium1.info

Please give me suggestions if you can, and if the tutorial in the forums is detailed enough

Thank you Very Happy
craig_t
i wanted one of theese, i am having a look through now Very Happy thanks.

It looks good, will it be the same for windows xp?
squirrelmaster
changing the network settings will be a little different
I just made a Win XP tutorial too, even though it's just a little different i think it might help to be OS specific

*EDIT- it is Win XP Home Edition that i wrote it for
Dark-Tech
i had a look through i didn't seem to have toomuch luck but i may of messed up or it may be the version of winxp - does it matter if it is home or pro - little more specific on that part if it does otherwise it serves its purpose
bjwok
your site is very helpful champ and i am sure a lot of people will gain significan benifits from the information you have provided.

just one thing grinds my gears:

your are posting a thread about how to create your own server on a forum for a site hosting company! note the irony.
warallthetm
For a while i was hosting half of my site on an old computer. But it ate up too much bandwith, and i had to turn it off during thunderstorms, and my sister would often log onto aim and do junk on it even though it wasnt her computer.

I gave up and switched to frihost
squirrelmaster
Dark-Tech wrote:
i had a look through i didn't seem to have toomuch luck but i may of messed up or it may be the version of winxp - does it matter if it is home or pro - little more specific on that part if it does otherwise it serves its purpose

Well, i don't have access to a Windows XP Professional computer, so i don't know how different it is from Home Edition, but i would think it would be similar enough to work, that and i think you would need Admistrative access(if it's anything like win2K pro) Can you tell me which part you had trouble with? I may be able to help Very Happy

bjwok wrote:
just one thing grinds my gears:

your are posting a thread about how to create your own server on a forum for a site hosting company! note the irony.

well, I am using Frihost for my personal site/me & my friends forums, and am still active on the forums so i don't really think it will matter much.

warallthetm wrote:
For a while i was hosting half of my site on an old computer. But it ate up too much bandwith, and i had to turn it off during thunderstorms, and my sister would often log onto aim and do junk on it even though it wasnt her computer.

I gave up and switched to frihost

i'm sorry to hear that, and im glad my sister doesn't do that (but it might be that fact that it's in my room, and i password protected it Wink)
shenyl
I discovered the difference between WIn XP Pro and Win XP Home.
It does matters, as the XP Home does not support the IIS (MS Web Server), and you have to do messy steps to install the IIS on the XP Home. XP Pro supports IIS and also the security setup for anonymous web user is working.

A get around is to use a different HTML server, such as BabyWeb, Abyss Web Server, and even the Apache server.

This is assuming you do not need any database connection.

Hope it gives a little insight into XP pro and home edn.
squirrelmaster
well, the web server in my tutorial uses Apache, so im glad of that Very Happy
Kyoushu
Wow, this is a great site. Once you get a tutorial for it on debian linux, Ill try this out on my ubuntu computer.
squirrelmaster
Kyoushu wrote:
Wow, this is a great site. Once you get a tutorial for it on debian linux, Ill try this out on my ubuntu computer.

yeah, i'm actually all done on installing debain, and XAMPP for linux, but my problem seems to be wireless card drivers, but i am going to run an ethernet cable to my room for that, so the tutorial should be sometime from 4-6 weeks from now (because of my cable shipping)
bassgs_17
You are aware that if your site gets too much traffic, your ISP will throw a fit (most likely). If you exceed your upload cap they'll be on your case. Most EULAs for internet service say you can't host sites.
squirrelmaster
i have SBC Yahoo DSL,
i havn't got any guff from them so far, and can't find anywhere(so far), on thier site that says i can't host a site.
But I really don't take up much bandwidth right now, and when i do eventually i will upgrade my DSL package.

so i will keep hosting until they tell me otherwise