FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Should Google provide website hosting?

Should Google provide hosting?
Yes
85%
 85%  [ 81 ]
No
14%
 14%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 95

lukeropro
I was thinking, if google provides hosting just like yahoo, how many people would want to sign up for their plans.
silvermesh
Though I highly doubt if they could do as good a job as frihost, they could definitely do better than yahoo, and all the other free hosts out there. I'd be interested to see what those evil geniuses would be able to come up with in the field.
GProject
To be fair, when google decide to branch out into new areas they often offer really good deals - GoogleMail anyone? So if they did start to offer a free hosting service, I would certainly check out the terms & consider using them. I think they'd probably be pretty good.
Jaime
Ohhh yes, google should be offer web hosting services but without publicity...
Nuetral
i can see this happenening actually.
well why not google has done so many things and does them all very good i think they would be a great web host but i do see it coming sometime in the future.
Josso
It would be very good if they did start one. I always thought they should, and with Google Video, GoogleMail etc it would make sense now.
alkady
If they did get into hosting, They put ads but they'd be extremely generous in terms of free space + Bandwidth, C'mon they where one of the only few to offer 2 GB Email Accounts and we all know that more than anyone will ever need. Plus they wouldnt have any post + host.
Saber
um... sorry to spoil your vote.. but google allready has been giving free hosting.. googlepages.com
true you dont get to use your own domain but meh, its free and such. Check it out sometime. and I dont think there are adds.

(I personaly find it not that useful though.)
KillaDilla
Yeah, i would agree with nuteral. Googles services are pretty good, i think i'l check this out.
todabeat
yeah they would most likely get more money off ads. kind of like geocities by yahoo. I am sure google would offer more stuff than yahoo.
sonam
They have free hosting but why you need it if you have Frihost account??? Shocked
frozenhead
Well, I guess it's a part of their marketing plan now and I think it really better than of other webhosting (except for FriHost should I say).

If Google will have it's webhosting, I will stick still with FriHost though. Wink
photon
it would be very useful if google creates a system so that a user can use his email account space (which is currently at 2.7gb!) to host a site. obviously it cannot be given to all users keeping in mind the space constraints (2.7gb is just the theoritical figure. the actual space that is used is miniscule)

i know its not practically possible, but that is the only thing that will make me use anything other than frihost Smile
SgtGarcia
I think it is not too hard for google to set up such a service, they could integrate adsense, so everybody has google ads on their page. The only problem is that google starts to control more and more on the internet. There should be an end somewhere, otherwise it could go wrong with google, just like it went wrong with microsoft
Zuwiki
http://pages.google.com/?pli=1

Can I just warn you now that it sucks?

Ok. It sucks.

Check out my site Wink

http://zuwiki.googlepages.com/home
fizz-pop
i think that pages.google.com definaely counts at least a bit...It isn't exactly website hosting since it is a WYSIWYG editor, but if you just make one giant trandparent text box and then put all your HTML in there it sort of works... although it is sort or awkward. when you get to page manager in Google pages I think you should be able to edit pages' html and upload new pages from there.

hosting or not, google is still excellent.

edit: I didn't realize anyone else had posted about google pages. sorry, I missed your post, zuwiki. and yes, zuwiki, I agree with you. It sucks.
caroline
Google Pages is their webhosting product, just like everyone above me is saying!

Anyway I think it's pretty good actually if you don't know any html because they have nice boxes for you! Also if you do know html you can upload pages yourself, just like any other hosting site Smile
Th3St1ck
jaime wrote:
Ohhh yes, google should be offer web hosting services but without publicity...

i like your idea Twisted Evil
it would be nice if they offered free webhosting, cause seeing how good (most of) there other products are, if they had free webhosting it would probubly be better then most of the other webhosters out there except for FRIHHOST! Very Happy

And about google pages..it sucks. period.
its basically like a blog..but with more pages....
it doesnt give you and extra space to put anything in, you cant add html
or java or anything...and there layouts also stink....

but if google offer a webhosting service like frihhost i think it would be good (but not better then frihhost :p)

also, i think it would be nice if they didnt advertise it, so the select few (like us..) who actually looked around to find it got it....

those are just my thoughts... Shocked
Kaisonic
We don't need any more website hosts on the web, we have FriHost! [/marketing line] (I just made 5 bucks!)

But yeah, I think it'd be pretty cool. They could just add it to their vast library of services and useful things.
Magton
I think it will be a nice feature. I really enjoy Google Mail, so I use it as my main mail address. I have almost 3 GB of free space for e-mails. The negative point is that we can't attach executable files, even when they are ziped.

Well, Google Pages would be nice! Have you ever thought about a 2 GB free webhosting? Twisted Evil
lukeropro
Saber wrote:
um... sorry to spoil your vote.. but google allready has been giving free hosting.. googlepages.com
true you dont get to use your own domain but meh, its free and such. Check it out sometime. and I dont think there are adds.

(I personaly find it not that useful though.)

Yes I'm aware of google pages but what I was referring to is paid hosting with domain names and stuff.
jongoldsz
Google offers webhosting... go to http://pages.google.com/ to see it...
xkobram
Do you zthink that google can do it? i mean loads of users will need technical support, trafic on google servers will be very high...
lukeropro
jongoldsz wrote:
Google offers webhosting... go to http://pages.google.com/ to see it...

As I said in my previous post, I'm aware of googlepages. i'm asking about paid hosting.

And yes xkobram, google's servers may not take it, with all their services but they can always buy new ones Very Happy
Scott
Wow, I didn't know about pages.google.com. Nothing will ever beat Frihost, but I think that google doing hosting is a good idea.

jipmerite
I'm pretty sure they are going to start webhosting too...but then I also have to say, even the mighty google is going to have a hard time competing with Frihost... I still wonder how Firhost is able to afford to give us blokes this great service for free...

But meanwhile, let's see what Google churns out... We might not have to wait long to see it.
m00tmuffin
I bet Google will whip out some sort of web hosting thing, no doubt...they're crazy. Not sure how good it'll be, but I can't say I've been disappointed with everything else they've done thus far, so who knows. Bet a ton of people will be more then happy to sign up for it, too.
rhathar
I can easily picture Google coming out with an awesome system of webhosting at some point in the future - beyond what they have now.

But, at some point we do need to consider - exactly HOW reliant is everyone becoming on Google? On one hand, they have a lot of things that aren't offered free by nearly anyone else - Google Earth, for example.
dz9c
google has web hosting already
squirrelmaster
just to see what pages.google.com had to offer i signed up for it with my existing gmail account,
  • there seems to have NO ads
  • 100MB of space (frihost is WAY better!)
  • but you cant do php or mysql
  • but by editing a text box's HTML you can add javascript(the kind that doesn't go in <HEAD>)
  • you can upload files so you could use a template then View Source and edit it and upload it
    (though i dont think you could then edit it with the google editor)

that was my take of it, it is okay for people who dont care about php, and want no ads or want to learn HTML, but for the rest of us it really isn't worth it.
my testing page is at http://elevatorguy.googlepages.com
datter
Damn I guess I'm insane, I read that whole thing. Smile

Zuwiki wrote:
http://pages.google.com/?pli=1

Can I just warn you now that it sucks?

Ok. It sucks.

Check out my site Wink

http://zuwiki.googlepages.com/home
izimngcubes15
Google shouldn't be reliable to host any websites. They seemed to be a bit out of edge. Gmail, I must say, is stupid. Sucks. I hate it so much. It so stupid.

Google shouldn't be like that.
mying
Should Google provide website hosting? i think google should provide a hosting ...
38club
i am agree google should provide the website hosting ,
haak_heu
if google offer it , it will be very very good thing , and they should put google ads there with 50% income to webhoster this will incease there revenue as people will advertise and more people see there sites and ads too
poisonhzkj
google offer the service now....
godam64
what i want is google provide something like php and mysql hosting that support my own domain name. if they do that i'm sure they totally ruin the webhosting industy.

with google adsense ads on the free hosting serveice it woul be just totally perfect Laughing
Icantation
They should really consider thinking about it, since they are really popular and their search engine is waaayy better than yahoo. They should, really. Very Happy
lujango
i think they would do. google is the best search engine, the best e-mail provider and one of the best commercial promotor with their "ad sense".
Huiue
Google have the PageCreater service now,you can try it,but you must have a google account.
n0isehazard
squirrelmaster wrote:
just to see what pages.google.com had to offer i signed up for it with my existing gmail account,
  • there seems to have NO ads
  • 100MB of space (frihost is WAY better!)
  • but you cant do php or mysql
  • but by editing a text box's HTML you can add javascript(the kind that doesn't go in <HEAD>)
  • you can upload files so you could use a template then View Source and edit it and upload it
    (though i dont think you could then edit it with the google editor)

that was my take of it, it is okay for people who dont care about php, and want no ads or want to learn HTML, but for the rest of us it really isn't worth it.
my testing page is at http://elevatorguy.googlepages.com
I agree about the people who don't want to learn HTML thing. Sometimes webservers have some really bogus deal packets, but people sign up for them anyway. It usually is associated with the fact that it comes with some sort of feature like "built in web building!!", "easy 3 step create a page process", etc.

Personally, I like using HTML a lot more. It gives you more freedom once you get the hang of it. I do remember those days when I'd be afraid to use HTML though. Laughing
squirrelmaster
n0isehazard wrote:
I agree about the people who don't want to learn HTML thing. Sometimes webservers have some really bogus deal packets, but people sign up for them anyway. It usually is associated with the fact that it comes with some sort of feature like "built in web building!!", "easy 3 step create a page process", etc...

yeah, i really hate those kinds of hosts who give you almost no space and throw way too many ads on it and its just html Rolling Eyes
the one i really dont like is 50megs.com, my brother had a site there, he just used some html template from somewhere , and when he put it all together there was 2 banners on top, and popups Shocked
so i came to his rescue and let him have some of my frihost space under a no-ip sub-domain, but without me he would have prolly been with 50megs for years Laughing
yaashop
i think they should. (of course should be free either!) i'm not sure they can do as good as frihost here or not (they might no site quality control and and community like here) but it's good to have a try. I used Geocities, brinkster before but none of them are as good as here. if possible i will stay here forever XD
nonte
I think Google will soon come up with a webhosting plan. And I think it will be a good one too. Maybe you will require to have invitations like gmail for getting one. Maybe it would be something of the sort of Orkut, a trusted community. But for sure we will soon have Google offering us webspace and bandwith.
agusta
wat a question after all.....a great company like this should provide hosting....ofcourse thay can grab a lot of hot bucks....still the giants have got to do something! Idea
william
It would be great if Google provided webhosting. I have high expectations because of their prior things, such as Gmail. Though, the already have http://www.pages.google.com. It's an OK service, not as good as Frihost. It still lacks a lot of features.
xorcist
Ya they could really generate some more money from Webhosting, There already a trusted company people will buy there webhosting if they have it.
mw91
pages.google.com is good but they have no recognition for some files like php.
statusfashions
i think they have already started providing webpage hosting ...
i recieved an invitation to build a homepage through google.
alwahsh
i think google have to give us hosting Cool Cool
eqfan
sure,i hope Google provide FREE website hosting. Smile
Hammy
I think google should do webhosting, but i wldnt blame them for providing paid .com, .co.uk domains. They havent charged us for anything else, everything they provide is free.

They could do a little better with google talk tho, it's a bit plain.

Im sure if thye provided hosting, paid wld be unlimated everything.. and if the provided a free option.. It wouldnt be far frem unlimited either.
the1991
ohh man that would be sweet!
Claywarrior
ya, why not

their so popular it will become very sucsessful
henrygl
i wish they used the 2gb storage for hosting.....that would be wow awesome..
sujan
ya googlle must host
sujan
google is reputed brand name and it will soon take market it if starts webhosting.
it will to be efficient
joxang
Should they offer complete proper webhosting instead of thier pages subdomain, I'd image it would be bigger and better (and cheaper) than most other companies.

It'll probably be really unpatornising and easy to use as well.
michaelwesterberg
Google makes everything perfect, so why don't try making a web host place?
I support your opinions =)
Krille_leijon
No, Atlest i dont think so.
mustaq
lukeropro wrote:
I was thinking, if google provides hosting just like yahoo, how many people would want to sign up for their plans.

well i am waiting for this is really great service wellit will not help me to built great web site but it will help me to get good search enigine indexing in google by placing link in google free pages Wink
amusic
Google should provide webhosting since they have plenty of web space. If they are not going to have force ads, then I will be the first person to sign up.
silvermesh
one thing many of us are forgetting about google pages is that it is still in early development. gmail didn't used to support POP and SMTP, but it does now. there are thousands of features in gmail that weren't there just a year ago. google pages is the next thing coming out of google, i'd imagine it's going to be something good.
tony
google actually has a pseudo-hosting service most ppl dont know about...

http://pages.google.com

it's nice because it doesn't have ads but it is not a true hosting service like frihost. no ftp support, no php, no mysql, no cron jobs.
THE11thROCK™
Lol, no free hosting service measures up to what Frihost has achieved. Period.

As for google, I believe that it has stepped miles away from what yahoo freehosting has achieved so far. Yahoo free hosting is completely annoying and the ads are truly the worst i've seen after 50 megs Shocked . Hopefully, google can increase the file limit just like in Gmail. One thing I don't know about this yet is if it will have a tiny bandwidth limit. Still, I would choose google products over Yahoo anyday (except of course for Yahoo Messenger) Very Happy.
bugra9
I like Google Services and free hosting. Very Happy
irfan
bugra9 wrote:
I like Google Services and free hosting. Very Happy

Me too agreed........ Smile
the-geek
i thought they would be offering us with ASP/PHP Evil or Very Mad
but i became kiddo when i visit pages.google.com
einstein
i voted yes. google shud start hosting services, too.
Alienz
Yes for me too since Google have so much of space but a better one than Lycos used to provide.
brycearonium
i think google has the potential to add another great service to all of their others. i mean they have a lot of great things, and many are inexpencie, if not free. things such as goole earth. it's awesome. they just need to keep turning out the great stuff!
meetul
google has a fine history of providing and excellenting free web based services

be it search engine, image search, email, videos, e-books, google earth, and lot more to be listed.

We know that google has become a competition to microsoft, the world leader in IT, just by providing free services. Hence, I feel that if google started providing free webhosting, it is going to be atleast better than that of yahoo geocities.

Atleast, the ads on the website will be contextual and will be related to the site matter. And, what I guess, if google does so, it is defninitely going to pay a slice of the earnings generated by clicks on the ads on the free-webspace supported website to the site owner.
leat397
I agree with it for sure..
My point is just simply..free service WITH HIGH QUALITY is always welcomed and preferable by all the customers Laughing
darvit
xkobram wrote:
Do you zthink that google can do it? i mean loads of users will need technical support, trafic on google servers will be very high...

I think Google can do it. They've got a lot of employees, and by adding another service, they could generate more jobs for more people anyway. Very Happy

They've taken over the Internet, and by adding free webhosting, they would be able to expand their "web empire".

silvermesh wrote:
one thing many of us are forgetting about google pages is that it is still in early development. gmail didn't used to support POP and SMTP, but it does now. there are thousands of features in gmail that weren't there just a year ago. google pages is the next thing coming out of google, i'd imagine it's going to be something good.

I agree with silvermesh. The Google page creator could be the early beginnings of a web hosting service. I assume that Google is currently exploring this idea, and is now currently doing some feasibility studies via Google pages and other sources. Very Happy

I guess that all we have to do is sit back and wait.

But anyway, Frihost is a great service... No need to look for a great web host in Google! Laughing
Nameless
Google has done enough already. And there's no way they could beat frihost, anyway. Smile
chrismen
okay, so i guess the question has been answered:
google does offer webhosting and it is nowhere near frihost. maybe in the future google will do some crazy thing? do they often upgrade there services? gmail gets lot's of free space from time to time, no?
valkyrie-heavens
If there hosting is anything like yahoos then I'd say no cause yahoo sucks. Maybe if google offered more services and less ads. But, I think this is why most of us have hosting through frihost.
Mental2k
To be honest if google bring out a free host wit no adds (or adsense, and pay us) with 2GB capacity and unlimited bandwidth (probably use a fair use scheme) then i don't see any reason it wouldn't be better than frih. Not saying frihost is not brilliant, its absolutely magic, just saying google does have the potential to be better, if they wan it to be. Smile
Aiz
Well, what would google stand to gain with a no-ad webhosting? Aside from PR I don't see much of anything else. because if you think about it, most of googles stuff had adsense on the side. Gmail was such a hit because there was alot of space that no one is ever gonna use, it was nice, the conversation type setup, and no ads at the end of your email the way yahoo and hotmail add (that annoys me a great deal for some reason, the ads) Gmail was more of a marketing and monopolizing move than anything else (not that i'm complaining XD) But i really just don't see google offering free webhosting. the cost of such is too much greater than the rewards, in my opinion that is.
tribe
I remember seeing this before when I was looking for some HTML Help the other day.

Google Page Creator

Here's a picture of what you can do.

linexpert
Google already has hosting but it's not very good. The problem is that they have the simplest hosting. You only get 100megs of space and can't do php or mysql. One good thing is that there are no ads on the page.
The worst thing is that you have to sign in using a gmail account and your website address is going to be "your gmail email address.googlepages.com"

This is bad because you can easily be spammed and your id can be easily stolen.
Proxy.Jumper
Now if Google made webhosting it would definately be way better than Yahoo's because yahoo has some crappy hosting. Now for Google if they had hosting it would be great to have unlimited MYSQL databases and a decent amount of space to put your stuff. It would also be great if they used cpanel because of how easy it is to use and it comes with great features like fantastico.

Now however they probally couldn't beat frihost because of all they're great features and stuff.
lukeropro
googlepages is ok but definitely not as good as frihost. and i don't think google would provide free hosting for a 2gb storage
Hammy
Lol.. gotta love how many post's have been repeated. Just shows how no1 really read's the threads, just post's their opinion and on their way.
lukeropro
Yeah, I agree. Some people post just to get frih$ and points.
ProRathack
i see that yaho features is more advanced that google , in chat , even in search, and i'm sure if google make a free or a paid webhosting , will be full by ads .
Ex:
ADS byGooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooogle
, and this won't fine at all ,

there is now free webhosting sites without ads and i'm sure that google premuim accounts wil be with adds ,

but i'm also sure that google will be an ammazing space for websites and high amount of bandwidth....

So , we are waiting ....................................................................................
squirrelmaster
i guess google saw this poll, because they now offer from what i can tell hosting with a domain at http://www.google.com/a

Google wrote:
Google Apps for Your Domain lets you offer private-labeled email, instant messaging and calendar accounts to all of your users, so they can share ideas and work more effectively. These services are all unified by the start page, a unique, dynamic page where your users can preview their inboxes and calendars, browse content and links that you choose, search the web, and further customize the page to their liking. You can also design and publish web pages for your domain.

It's all free* and everything is hosted by Google. No hardware or software required.

*Organizations accepted by Google during the Google Apps for Your Domain beta period are eligible for free service for their approved beta users even beyond the end of the beta period, as described in the Terms of Service.

im not sure on the details, but it sure is a step up from google pages Wink
Madic
squirrelmaster wrote:
i guess google saw this poll, because they now offer from what i can tell hosting with a domain at http://www.google.com/a

Google wrote:
Google Apps for Your Domain lets you offer private-labeled email, instant messaging and calendar accounts to all of your users, so they can share ideas and work more effectively. These services are all unified by the start page, a unique, dynamic page where your users can preview their inboxes and calendars, browse content and links that you choose, search the web, and further customize the page to their liking. You can also design and publish web pages for your domain.

It's all free* and everything is hosted by Google. No hardware or software required.

*Organizations accepted by Google during the Google Apps for Your Domain beta period are eligible for free service for their approved beta users even beyond the end of the beta period, as described in the Terms of Service.

im not sure on the details, but it sure is a step up from google pages Wink

looks like google is finally wising up... what will they dominate next, music?
Davidgr1200
I think that it's good that Google and several other companies have free hosting. It keeps the other companies on their toes. Another question would be do you think that Microsoft should offer free hosting?
achowles
I can't imagine Google offering free hosting without swamping you with their adverts. It might be a good option for them. But I can't imagine that it would be a good option for people already hosted here.
HalfBloodPrince
Knowing Google, they will take what Yahoo has and make a better version. I strongly beleive that they're planning to release web hosting, but haven't told anyone. That's just MY idea.

Like G-Mail, their web hosting would be one of the greatest out there (#2 to Frihost though Smile) and they would make a LOT of money.
jon9314
GProject wrote:
To be fair, when google decide to branch out into new areas they often offer really good deals - GoogleMail anyone? So if they did start to offer a free hosting service, I would certainly check out the terms & consider using them. I think they'd probably be pretty good.

i second that i would tyy it since thay have a good rep for quality
dotnine
Magton wrote:
I think it will be a nice feature. I really enjoy Google Mail, so I use it as my main mail address. I have almost 3 GB of free space for e-mails. The negative point is that we can't attach executable files, even when they are ziped.

Well, Google Pages would be nice! Have you ever thought about a 2 GB free webhosting? Twisted Evil

Google Pages already exists, read above what you said Rolling Eyes
Wong
I think they should give it a try, although i seriously doubt that they can do a better job than FriHost. I'd like to check out their packages if they do provide webhosting, maybe for some of the smaller sites i have in mind. But still, the best is FriHost.
spazbutt32
Paid hosting or free hosting?

Honestly, I don't know, but it seems like there's only so much Google can do before it runs out of space on the planet for its servers, rofl

You have the huge search engine, you have Google Video, you have Directory, Groups, Documents, Gmail (2.5+GB per user right there), and there's just so much else..

I do think they could do it well, though. Just look at Gmail.
alwom
well i would say that if Google started providing webhosting though very unlikely, that if they managed to do a great job that some of the smaller host may be in trouble considering how popular google is. and Yes Frihost you are the best, thanks guys
DynamicNames
I highly doubt that Google would actually provide web hosting. But if they did, loads of people will probably sign-up. However, I'm happy with Frihost, so I probably wouldn't. Considering that I probably cannot make that many sub-domains on the Google hosting server, like how Frihost lets me do so. Well, the free service at least.
alwom
i agree frihhost is wonderfull, best free host ive used ive only had my site with them 2 weeks now and i have had no slow loading and no downtime.

Super work guys
Hogwarts
alkady wrote:
If they did get into hosting, They put ads but they'd be extremely generous in terms of free space + Bandwidth, C'mon they where one of the only few to offer 2 GB Email Accounts and we all know that more than anyone will ever need. Plus they wouldnt have any post + host.

Actually, the question comes up would put ads on people's sites?

I mean, think about it. Google AdSense is probably the most popular form of advertising on the web, and through it comes 90% of Google's revenue. So if they just enforce that people aren't allowed to put competitors adverts on their sites, people will put Google ads on their site at the prospect of money.

About them making paid hosting?
I doubt that. Google has so far done things without selling anything, and I hope they stay that way.
ankur.vatsa
May be I am misunderstanding what you mean but I think Google already does it atleast for the individual users. I think they call it googlepages. I am not using it but I know they have it.

Google also has 'Google Apps for your Domain' which I think offers site hosting for businesses too and it is also free (actually beta).

They may keep providing it but I still believe that FriHost is the best of the free-webhosting sites and I am going to stay loyal to it. That's another story that Google decides to acquire Frihost and make the owners rich and may be make us all rich for all our Frih$
saratdear
Google should definitely provide webhosting if they can, but however, as everyone else said, I doubt they would a good job as Frihost in the area of Free hosting. And, they shouldn't have ads, or it would be really lousy.
littletomi714
They have a great browser.
They have a great mail system.
If they add webs, then that'll beat most browser's butts!!!
3reasons
That would indeed be a great idea. Think about it. Google has provided a powerful search engine. One which allows people to search and retrieve quality results unlike other search engines. Try searching on those engines and you will get weird and unrelated results. Furthermore, Google checkout looks impressive.

Not only that, I have used Google Adsense and Adwords. Both of them are very powerful. Using Adwords gives me satisfaction as opposed to using other campaigns as advertisement because I know that click fraud will be dealt with properly. Similarly, Adsense gives you the best pay per click revenue. No other CPC program compares to it.

Keeping these achievements in mind, I think Google hosting would rock. I do not know what others think but I would sure use it.