FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Airflow

Darius
Well i want to overclock my Videocard, but i'm afraid my coller is not powerfull enough. The problem i don't know which is better. Some have hi rotations per minute, others have hi airflow. I've compared several coolers and it turned out that a lower-rotation coller had better airflow. Help to uderstand
psycosquirrel
Buy an Artic Cooling Accelero or a Silencer. They are by far the best, though the Zalmans are nice too.
fever
It all depends on size of your box.
Ergonomics play a big role in choosing the correct fan for a certain purpose.
Going big is not always right, a small fan would do the job just as well as would a larger fan depending on your airflow space in your box.
positioning also has to be taken into consideration.
TheGeek
If you want the most airflow, usually a larger fan will benefit you more. For a GPU, you usually cant get much over an 80mm fan, the Zalman vf900 is a good example of an 80mm hsf that works very well. It spins between 1350 and 2400 RPM. This helps keep noise down to a minumum while dispersing heat effectivly. You can also get ones from other companies that are the same size but spin faster. These units will be louder than the slower spinning counterparts, however, they will push more air around.

It is good to think of these three things when picking out a cooler, regardless of what you are trying to cool:

1. What is my price range
2. How much noise do i want to put up with, because a smaller fan that spins faster may push more air than a larger one that spins slower, however, it will be very loud compaired to larger ones.
3. What is my application, and will the hsf i picked fit in the mounting holes provided by the manufacturer and will it fit in the space i have in my case.
Darius
So as i understandt it, airflow means how much air it can push, and the more RPM per minute, the HARDER it can thew air?
Darius
edit for the last post "the HARDER it can push the Air?"
psycosquirrel
No, RPM and airflow has a direct coorelation in a well-designed fan. Size and airflow are directly related also.

Therefore, RPM and airflow usually indicate the same thing, though size and fan blade design influences airflow greatly.
TheGeek
also, like psyco just said the fan design effects it, meaning the angle the blade is at.