FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Firefox CPU Usage 100%, why ?

Philip
i am using PIV 1.6 Ghz with 512 SDRAM Memory
i'm using firefox 1.5.0.4, every times i am open firefox
it;s seem my CPU getting usage 100%, and it's slow up my computer.
does anyone had happened it too ?
please suggest me ...
PhoenixFire
Maybe some of your settings in Firefox are messed up and it's eating way too much CPU. I suggest restoring your default settings.

Also, invest in a faster processor. http://www.newegg.com has some good deals. That's where I got my new motherboard and processor when a power surge cooked everything in my PC.
dray101
What extensions do you have installed? maybe one of them is causing the high processer dermand.

Do you have similar problems with any other programs?

Hopefully the new firefox (2.0) will fix your problems Wink
Philip
i am added faster fox 1.0.3 and aJAX yahoo mail, and session saver 2

anything wrong with my extension ?
Slicey
I've had a similar problem with firefox before. Try re-installing the latest version of firefox and update any extensions as well. Usually solves any problems I have.
dray101
Philip wrote:
anything wrong with my extension ?

Well after you have reinstalled Firefox try loading it a couple of times with the extensions uninstalled.

That way you can find out Wink
umumkan
I think you should Find out detailed information about the processes running in your computer with this freeware program -> (Process Viewer) http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,6102,00.asp then you can see the troublemaker your system slowly.
FerSx
Look like u can have some viruses or spyware that r linked to you browser, I will recommend you to do a virus check to you PC and a spyware and malware check too.

For a free virus prog u can go to http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1
And http://www.safer-networking.org/ for a good free spyware checker.

And uninstall and reinstall firefox too, maybe some background aplz it uses its hanging.
Philip
i am using kaspersky internet antivirus already,
and there's no virues.

but i try to reinstall my firefox already,
but it's working fine, but that;s for a moment only..

some time my processor performance still going up until 100%...

and idea ? or maybe i should using other browser like opera an IE.. wew hehe,

thanks,
FerSx
Hi.
Remember that spywares aren’t detected by antivirus, that’s why a good spyware software it’s needed too, Spyboot its ok to find and delete any one.
Remember that spywares and malwares are the first responsible to bandwidth loose and strange PC behavior.
I always recommend having 2 spyware checker installed, Microsoft Defender and Spyboot do the job.

And don’t reinstall firefox Uninstall it completely and make clean install. Also try another browser like explorer beta 3 to test.
rayx
Maybe your application priority was set to Realtime or High.
Try to set set your firefox.exe processes priority to NORMAL.
If it is not the case then maybe you have a spyware embedded on you application try to unsinstall and find all registry mozilla firefox is using.
Ikthar
That's a well-known "feature" of Firefox. Firefox developers know about it, and they made it on purpose. It happes because Firefox caches the opened tabs in memory, eating all the CPU usage. Here you can find more information.
PhoenixFire
Ikthar wrote:
That's a well-known "feature" of Firefox. Firefox developers know about it, and they made it on purpose. It happes because Firefox caches the opened tabs in memory, eating all the CPU usage. Here you can find more information.

I've never had a problem with that. Firefox is the only browser I use, be it on Windows or Mac. The only problem I've ever had with Windows Firefox is that on occasion, it will freeze, but when I close the window, the process keeps running and some really screwy stuff happens. In those instances, I just have to end the process and start Firefox again.

FerSx wrote:

I always recommend having 2 spyware checker installed, Microsoft Defender and Spyboot do the job.

In this case, the program isn't "Spyboot", but instead is "Spybot Search & Destroy". A search for Spyboot turns up nothing on the site.

Just looking out for those who may have been confused. Very Happy

Cheers.
Ikthar
PhoenixFire wrote:
I've never had a problem with that. Firefox is the only browser I use, be it on Windows or Mac. The only problem I've ever had with Windows Firefox is that on occasion, it will freeze, but when I close the window, the process keeps running and some really screwy stuff happens. In those instances, I just have to end the process and start Firefox again.

I always used Firefox, and I never had any problems with memory too, only those when I have to kill the process. But I tried to run Firefox on a computer with 128MB of RAM, and when you have many tabs opened, the computer becomes very unresponsive...
photon
looks like a malware, or a misbehaving extension. uninstall firefox and do a fresh install. then try without installing any extensions. get ad-aware and spybot, update the definitions and then run a thorough check. any problem should be identified
orcaz
firefox always sometimes haf this problem when you open too many tabs and did not close the whole browser window for a while. i suggest you close the whole browser window and reopen it occasionally, and make sure firefox.exe is not running after closing it.
KHO
Firefox has a memory leak, this causes excessively high amounts of CPU ussage on many an occasion. l do use FFX and have not had any problems with it in quite some time, l have investigated into this issue as l used to have this same issue, but for some reason l have never found why it does this. Please make an attempt at emptying all temp. dirs and the cache, also, if this does not stop the problem, try un-installing FFX and re-installing it, this has worked for me in the past.
saurabh.sauron
firefox is known to be CPU hungry. CPU usage shoots up. it might even be a case of spyware.