FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ftp being slow like hell

SilverDogg
i uploaded a new skin last week, the size was somewhere between 500-1024kb in total. despite this, it took me.. i dont know really, a lot of time anyway! this has never happened before to me.

so i asked the person who pays the bills and everything what could be wrong, and she had no clue. she didnt have those problems, everything went smoothly for her. i asked if maybe it could be something about the firewall, but nope.

so i ask of you now, what could be wrong? when i first start uploading the speed is around 8kb/s, which is slow that too. but then it just keep decresing until it stops entirely or something. it sucks and it makes it impossible for me to upload anything.

(i have tried different ftp-programs, no luck)
SamiTheBerber
SilverDogg wrote:
i uploaded a new skin last week, the size was somewhere between 500-1024kb in total. despite this, it took me.. i dont know really, a lot of time anyway! this has never happened before to me.

so i asked the person who pays the bills and everything what could be wrong, and she had no clue. she didnt have those problems, everything went smoothly for her. i asked if maybe it could be something about the firewall, but nope.

so i ask of you now, what could be wrong? when i first start uploading the speed is around 8kb/s, which is slow that too. but then it just keep decresing until it stops entirely or something. it sucks and it makes it impossible for me to upload anything.

I think you have other programmes stealing your bandwidth. I have also low upload when my sister's PC is open with some softwares.

So It can be on other programmes or in network.
SilverDogg
nope, ive tried without certain programs on, and its still the same =/

so its not bandwidth being stolen.

could it be the firewall after all?
fever
Could be the site you are trying to upload to is slow or bandwidth is being hogged.
Have you tried ftp connections to different ftp'?
Check those speeds? Are they ok?
If yes, then it is the site you are uploading to that is slow!

Try to ping ip.
also run a tracert to check hops & time.
SilverDogg
i just tried pinging, and it worked like a charm. no problems there.

i havent tried another ftp-place, i guess i have to do that and see what happens.
Ratman2050
Quote:

SilverDogg wrote:
i just tried pinging, and it worked like a charm. no problems there.

i havent tried another ftp-place, i guess i have to do that and see what happens.

As you say it could be a firewall problem::
It could also be a virus/malware::
This is what I need to know::
Do you have a router of any kind? Most routers such as 2wire SBC Yahoo have a built in firewall which is more advanced than normal windows ones. You could turn off your firewall for Windows, But stoppin the internal firewall for you Router, or Hub is not recommended. If this is the problem. Please refer to portforwarding.com. This website helps you locate common programs and their TCP/UDP Ports to open your bandwitdh to them. It also allows you to allow programs through the MAIN Firewall. I have used this for many programs as I have a Router Built Firewall.

I have to keep in note though that you said, "This has never happened to me before" . It gave me a theory saying it might not be the firewall, but maybe something else that is hijackiing it. I want you to download a program called Hijack This, search on google its easy to find. Install it in your program files folder (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT). Next I want to you to run Hijack This (Make sure no other programms are running. THis is a Must!). Post your log after it is finished. Run a virus check. Run a spyware check. I recommend> Spybot Search and Destroy> As well as Ad-Aware Lavasoft Home Edition.

If something happens and it works tell me. I hope this helps. I do the best I can
SilverDogg
oohkey, tried with another ftp, and it worked perfectly fine =/
so, theres something wrong with my ftp for my page.

does bondings know something about this maybe?
fever
Something u should query with your space provider.
Could just be that they were doing maintenance on there boxes.
But hten again, open a support ticket!
pudovkin
Yeap, it looks a "server-side problem".