FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Gerald Durrell and James Herriot

Tiger
I am a fan of Geral Durrell and James Herriot. Admitedly, it's been a while since I have read anything from either of these great authors, but I love their work none the less.

Does anyone else love these authors? Do you know of any modern authors that write in a similar vein, and are of equal quality/value. If so, please share, I'd be very interested to check out their works.

It seems to me though, that most modern writers are not in the same calibre, and also, this genre is lacking in quality authors. I like books that have both humour and fun-filled adventure, so I'd be really happy to find new authors who can provide both.

I look forward to your comments and replies.
AndiMac
I used to watch the TV series "All Creatures Great and Small" on PBS before I discovered James Herriot's books. I think both are fantastic, but I have to admit it's been years since I read them, I was a teenager at the time. Can't think of anything off-hand that has a similar appeal and I don't know Geral Durrell. I suppose I could google him, but maybe you can give me a short summary and save me the trouble? Wink
ganesh
I remember that we had an extract from one of Gerald Durrell's books in our English textbook in highschool. We also had one from James Herriot, but that was in 11th grade. I loved both the stories for their warmth and humour. Since then, I have managed to read all of James Herriot's books from the local public library. Should start off with Gerald Durrell now!
georgeodowd
I used to love both authors when I was younger. I imagine I still would today, so I believe I ought to revisit them.
Not exactly in the same genre, but I think you might find P. G. Wodehouse quite appealing (his books, that is). : )