FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

File recovery question

keempe
Hi everyone,
this morning my pc has crashed,
and i've had to format my harddisk
but there was one word file, (that now has been deleted) that i sill need,
can i get it back?
now i use recover my files(that's a recovery software program) but it can't bring that file back Sad
what do i have to do?
does somebody have a better program to do this?

thanks
Keempe
nilsmo
LOL, an advertisement right below your post showed up titled "Handy Recovery - Data Recovery Software." Here's the link to it, http://www.handyrecovery.com

There's a 30 day trial. I'm not sure if it's better than what you're using though. Wink

Edit: That link may have contained a referral, but it may have been a session ID, instead. Either way, the additional part of the link was not necessary and has been removed. If it was a referral, don't do it again! --Traveller
umumkan
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-43133.html&highlight=
anthonygerbils
lol that was handy that little advertisement anyway O&O disk recovery is the best
Darius
You said that you formated HDD? Then there is no way to restore the file
Ray Salamon
Darius wrote:

This is not true. Even after a full format, files are still easily recoverable. The hard part comes when you write over the same physical location on disc that they were before. Even then though, it's not impossible?
Why?
Because of magnetic residue. Simply put, the way the computer reads/writes to a HDD. This always leaves a trail of sorts, and through that trail, files can be recovered!
One that I'm very fond of, though not free, is call "GetDataBack". After doing the scan (takes some time, especially on massive drives), I've had files be 100% recovered even after _several_ formats, and a couple write overs! It's truly amazing.
But then you think about it... how does the government recover things in investigations, even when people think they've deleted and formatted?

Answer: the very same way!

Anyway, I suggest looking for that software. It really is worth it's value. I bought it, and used it a few times on my PC, friend's PCs etc. etc. A good tool to have in the bag.

-Ray
Bones
A friend of mine works for the military, and when they have old computers they dont use anymore, they will donate them to schools. Before they release the computers, they low level format, high level format, fill the drive with junk data, rinse & repeat 12 times to be sure the data is gone.
So one format will not completely delete data.
stoned_spirit
recover my files (v 3.94) is a better program that can do this operation for you ! :D

just make sure to select the corrcet drive for searching and " microsoft word document " in documents ..

important : you must have another hard drive or any similar device to save the recovered document .
turbosquid
GetDataBack is indeed a good program and should be able to help you out you can get is here:-

http://www.runtime.org/

Also Diskinternals Partition Recovery sounds like it may help to, they offer a "Fully Featured trial version", quite what that means i don't know but you could try it i guess Smile its availabel here :-

http://diskinternals.com/partition-recovery/

Hope these Help.

For those who may be interested this is a brief explanation of how forensic data recovery is done...

Drives do indeed leave a magnetic residue, which is used for forensic recovery. When performing full forensic recovery normally the drive is totaly dismantled and and the platters fitted onto a special jig such as a Guzik Spinstand, This is all done in a clean room enviroment to prevent contamination of the drive platters. The Guzik Spinstand V2002 is capable of reading the magnetic residue anywhere on the platters serface (not limited to data tracks). Its heads have and accuracy of +- 0.3 nm (nano meters) very very accurate Smile!
It is so precise that it can recover data even if the harddrive has been deliberately erased with a low level disk eraser.
It does this by reading the magnetic residue from the edges of the original data track, this residue remains because normal harddrives tend to have have slight misalignments in the heads leaving behind data traces.
Nyizsa
I know I'm a bit late with this suggestion, but it is handy to keep a live CD around - an operating system that can be booted from CD and doesn't need an install. Some examples are Knoppix, a full-CD, full-feature OS, but there are also some out there around 30-40 MB in size.
This way when your OS becomes unbootable, you are at least able to save all your data before formatting. Not to mention that perhaps you may be able to fix the error...
silentpark
well there are many recovery programms that will work for you.
The common filetypes are supported by all off these.

also you should have a good chance to get your document back

RecoverMyFiles or GetDataBack will work for you.. well they helped me too Smile
but before paying (maybe there are people who do?) for a license give a free programm a try, if it doesn't work, you can use one of the commercial programs.

a good choice could be PC INSPECTOR's File Recovery its free and as easy to use as any other i think.

you can get it at http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

well give it a try, and if it don't works use one of the shareware progs...
there is a good chance to get you file back Smile
pudovkin
I had a great experience with GetDataBack.
It worked flawlessly.
elyah_ariel
Hi,

I use PC cloneur Expert and I think it's one of the best recovery software never created. When the PC can't boot, you can still boot it with a personal recovery CD to register your datas in CD or transfer them to an other HDD.
idoisl
serch in google for "file recovery"....
i'm sure you will find something
Nolt
Try to EasyRecoveryPro or GetDataBack for files recovery. The first software is very good and you will recovery your files even when they deleted one year ago Wink
albuferque
Recuva is a freeware Windows utility to restore files that have been accidentally deleted from your computer. This includes files emptied from the Recycle bin as well as images and other files that have been deleted by user error from digital camera memory cards or MP3 players. It will even bring back files that have been deleted by bugs, crashes and viruses.

http://www.recuva.com/download
sanalskumar
Ray Salamon wrote:
Darius wrote:

This is not true. Even after a full format, files are still easily recoverable. The hard part comes when you write over the same physical location on disc that they were before. Even then though, it's not impossible?
Why?
Because of magnetic residue. Simply put, the way the computer reads/writes to a HDD. This always leaves a trail of sorts, and through that trail, files can be recovered!
One that I'm very fond of, though not free, is call "GetDataBack". After doing the scan (takes some time, especially on massive drives), I've had files be 100% recovered even after _several_ formats, and a couple write overs! It's truly amazing.
But then you think about it... how does the government recover things in investigations, even when people think they've deleted and formatted?

Answer: the very same way!

Anyway, I suggest looking for that software. It really is worth it's value. I bought it, and used it a few times on my PC, friend's PCs etc. etc. A good tool to have in the bag.

-Ray

Exactly... Most of the people are not aware of the file restoration techniques and tools. If we are doing a format, then it is very much similar to delete files manually. Darius, if we can get the deleted file, then what is the big deal in getting a file back from a formatted machine>>?? Even if you are using any permanent delete software for this, the modern forensic tools can recover the data to a very large extent. Here, a small but powerful utility like 'file recovery' will do the job. You do not need to ask to anybody, Google, the big helper is out there. Go for it...