FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

phpBB transfering

xiao
How can I transfer a phpBB board with all posts and members to another host?
Maka
Use the backup option in admin panel in phpbb, or use cpanel and do a backup there I think.
mOrpheuS
Maka wrote:
Use the backup option in admin panel in phpbb, or use cpanel and do a backup there I think.

yes...backup the db (generate a sql/sql-gz dump) from the phpBB admin panel or hosting cPanel, create a new mysql db on the new host and restore the database from the dump here.

also you need to backup the files from the last host (cPanel backup option), upload them to your new account, set the special folder permissions(chmod) if any, edit the config.php to put the new (sub)domain name, database name, db username and password and you're good to go.
xiao
wow, great support here Shocked

At the host where I am at now (kevhosting) it can take days before you get an answer to your problem...
The support is really bad... I'm one of the admins on the forum there Embarassed but if the head admin doesn't show his face, why should we?

This looks like a great host, I'll probably be transferring here Smile
Do you have a lot of downtime? And if you have downtime, for how long is it? a couple of minutes, a day, a week, ...?
Bondings
We didn't have a real downtime yet. Just a few times a minut not reachable, not more. And from time to time the server may slow down a bit. But apart from those things, there should be no other problems with your website.

And a day or even a week downtime will be very unlikely. Wink

Anyway, welcome in our forum, xiao! I hope we will be able to give you better support.
xiao
so there's something wrong with the host I'm at now? Razz
Sometimes we have 1-2 days downtime...
I also used too much bandwidth once (806MB of my 800MB) and after resetting my bandwidth (beginning of the month) I still couldn't access my domain for 2 days Confused
mOrpheuS
xiao wrote:
but if the head admin doesn't show his face, why should we?

This looks like a great host, I'll probably be transferring here Smile
Do you have a lot of downtime? And if you have downtime, for how long is it? a couple of minutes, a day, a week, ...?

well just the post above, you see the head admin (not his face really...but the avatar atleast)
also if it helps any, you can see his pet's face here http://www.frihost.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2360
whenever you feel like seeing it. Laughing

p.s. - speaking of downtimes, I am here since the beginning and I am yet to see the "server not found" message with frihost. Wink
xiao
even paid hosts have downtime once in a while Confused
what server do u use?
Maka
You will be safe here as long as you follow the TOS Very Happy . And yes no downtime since I joined the team. Very Happy
BrettL
thats pretty amazing, but i have a question, you guys gurentee 99.95% uptime, whats the gurentee, like what do i get if u have 98.00 downtime, being a free user?
Bondings
xiao wrote:
even paid hosts have downtime once in a while Confused
what server do u use?

A barton 3000 with 1Gb ram. And Frihost isn't a paid host. Dancing
BrettL
Quote:
And Frihost isn't a paid host

Xiao was saying that even the big and bad and expenive host have downtime
Bondings
BrettL wrote:
thats pretty amazing, but i have a question, you guys gurentee 99.95% uptime, whats the gurentee, like what do i get if u have 98.00 downtime, being a free user?

That's actually a guarantee we get from the datacenter.
Quote:
99.95% network uptime guarantee in the Savvis datacenter

It means that the Savvis network will be up that much, not our server. But if I'm not mistaken, our server does have such an uptime.
xiao
Maka wrote:
You will be safe here as long as you follow the TOS Very Happy . And yes no downtime since I joined the team. Very Happy

I'm admin on another host and I think they all have the same TOS, it's my job to follow it Wink
BrettL
o, ok
Bondings
BrettL wrote:
Quote:
And Frihost isn't a paid host

Xiao was saying that even the big and bad and expenive host have downtime

And I was trying to say that paid hosts tend to host a lot of high-resource websites who will cause much more downtime than the websites hosted by us.
I have another website on a paid host and they have to restart the server every 2 weeks or more. I never had to restart this server.
xiao
let's hope you never will Very Happy
xiao
Sorry for the double post Embarassed
But.. I'm having some major problems :p
Problem one is that the backup thing in cPanel of kevhosting is big sh*t... it downloaded some files only half or wrong or whatever...
so a lot of files are wrong, now I'm downloading those files through FTP to upload them again on Frihost...

But my biggest problem is:

If I try to log in, I get logged in (one good thing) but I get transferred to my old board (and one very bad thing)...

Can someone tell me what I did wrong? Confused
mOrpheuS
xiao wrote:

Problem one is that the backup thing in cPanel of kevhosting is big sh*t... it downloaded some files only half or wrong or whatever...
so a lot of files are wrong, now I'm downloading those files through FTP to upload them again on Frihost...

But my biggest problem is:

If I try to log in, I get logged in (one good thing) but I get transferred to my old board (and one very bad thing)...

you can try generating the backup in your "home directory", then move it to your public_html folder using cPanel file manager, change permission to 0644, then download it with your favourite download manager ! (change the permissions later back to 0600 )
then you wouldn't have to worry about the download breaking midway. as you'll be able to resume.

as for the second problem, I didn't quite understand...where are you trying to login ? phpBB admin ? old host cPanel ? frihost cPanel ?
n0obie4life
xiao wrote:
How can I transfer a phpBB board with all posts and members to another host?

Actaully you backup through phpmyadmin.

phpBB's backup in the ACP doesn't backup custom tables by mods.

Can someone guide him?
xiao
The transferring went fine, everything works...
I've changed the config.php file and the phpbb_config tabled in mysql.
But when I log in on the forum on this host, I get redirected to my old one Sad
n0obie4life
xiao wrote:
The transferring went fine, everything works...
I've changed the config.php file and the phpbb_config tabled in mysql.
But when I log in on the forum on this host, I get redirected to my old one Sad

Ur admin panel, configs. Change the URL.
xiao
that's the same as in phpMyadmin
and I can't access the admin panel because I can't log in...
snowboardalliance
xiao wrote:
that's the same as in phpMyadmin
and I can't access the admin panel because I can't log in...

Manually change them in the phpMyAdmin database.
xiao
I did that a long time ago...
that didn't work
snowboardalliance
xiao wrote:
I did that a long time ago...
that didn't work

Whatever you need to change in the ACP is changable in the database.

Also, just a though, did you edit the template and add <base href= to your header?
WickedGravity
If yo uare trying to change the URL of the board, the one in the database is the one you need to change. Find it in the SQL and change it to the current and you should be ok.
mOrpheuS
The only entry that you need to change is server_name in phpbb_config table

you can edit the .sql dump file with a text editor to make the change and then restore it to your phpbb database.

OR run this sql query in phpmyadmin (in your phpbb database)

Code:
UPDATE `phpbb_config` SET `config_value` = 'google.com' WHERE `config_name`='server_name';

replace google.com with your (sub)domain name.
jveezy
I had the same problem, but I somehow managed to get it to work.

Try this:

1) Go to your old phpBB on your OLD server and log into the admin panel.

2) Click on Configuration and change the url there BEFORE you do a full backup.

3) Restore your phpBB on your NEW server via the phpBB admin panel.

The first time I tried it, I didn't change the url before backing up, that way when it installed, all the admin stuff was directed towards the old url and trying to change it from the admin panel after that didn't do any good because it would change all the files on the old server. I think.

Try it. I hope it works. It seemed to have all of a sudden worked for me.

Edit: Sorry for bumping the old thread. I reached this thread via a search because I was having the same problems. I realize now that offering a solution probably does no good at this point since your old files probably don't exist on the old server anymore anyways. Well. Maybe if someone else has the problem in the future and can find it here.