FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Oregon trail

kla_bor
Does anybody know how to get the game Oregon trail to run on XP nowadays? Not the complicated versions, the old school one. The one with your family getting cholera and dysentery all the time... :3

I so want to get my hands on that game once again...

(How to get the game on the PC in the most FREE way as possible?)
TSpiralP
you can try and find a flash version online, its pretty hard to manage ms-dos games on these OS's nowadays. some might not work
rightclickscott
I don't think it's possible. You may have to downgrade your pc to do it, or look around for someone who created a version where everything looks and plays the same way, but not the real, physical game itself.
driftingfe3s
You can play it. You just need an emulator to run the software. Becuase the game is old, it is abandonware so you can download it for free.
Can grab the game and the emulator at the bottom the page here: http://www.classicgaming.com/rotw/otrail.shtml. This is the original version that ran on the old Apple II's. The version on the PC with DOS was Orgeon Trail deluxe so it might not be the same. Anyhow, this version might be fun to play even if it isn't the the same one.
rightclickscott
driftingfe3s wrote:
You can play it. You just need an emulator to run the software. Becuase the game is old, it is abandonware so you can download it for free.
Can grab the game and the emulator at the bottom the page here: http://www.classicgaming.com/rotw/otrail.shtml. This is the original version that ran on the old Apple II's. The version on the PC with DOS was Orgeon Trail deluxe so it might not be the same. Anyhow, this version might be fun to play even if it isn't the the same one.

I'm getting a 404 error from that page.
Jayfarer
Aren't there updated, new versions & remakes of Oregon Trail? Or are you only interested in playing the very original one?
moonblade
Damn, someone still remembers that game. It was a great fun one - and thanks for the heads up - if there's actually a Flash one, I've got to try it out. If anyone knows the link, please feel welcome to tell - elsewise, I'll try the Google Wink
rightclickscott
Jayfarer wrote:
Aren't there updated, new versions & remakes of Oregon Trail? Or are you only interested in playing the very original one?

He said he wanted the real real old one, for the Apple 2 presumably.
EoD-Oblivion
Now that's a classic name I haven't heard in a while. Oregon Trail was one of the best basic pc games I've ever played. If there is an version out that is compatible with XP let me know because I wouldn't mind playing that game again. Would beat playing Diablo 2 LoD expansion all the time.
TonkPilz
ther are a lot of dos emulators out there

Xdosemu
http://linux.maruhn.com/sec/xdosemu.html

DosBox
[url]dosbox.sourceforge.net[/url]

plus many more

but you will probebly need a app that slows you system down
cant remember any apps of that sort right now tho but i know ther out ther
duder673
yes there is an apple ][e emulator out there and it run the Oregon Trail rom easily.

You can even set the games speed to run at your computers speed if you dont feel like sitting around through all of the monotonous walking

Just remember to set it back to emulate the apple ][e computer speed when you are hunting or for riding down the river cause it is too fast Smile