FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dell or Lenovo?

Mithrandir
I'm getting ready to buy a laptop for college and I can't decide if I should go with Dell or Lenovo (the old IBM). Does anyone have any advice for me? Which one is better for taking to college?
w3Network
Personally if you go with a laptop I would go with a Dell or Sony VIAO. Depends on your needs. If you can get a personally build desktop also for more advanced operations.

I have found that laptops dont last very long or atleast to well in dorms. LOL!
psycosquirrel
Lenovo is not the old IBM, it is a company that took over the laptop branch of IBM. Therefore, they are the new IBM Very Happy

Dell blows, and the VAIO is unreliable. At work, I have to repair laptops all the time and the Thinkpads are in for repair very rarely. We have one or more Dells fail per week. There are no VAIOs, because the company had some bad experiences with them before I worked there (even though we were offered a great deal...)

Just make sure your laptop does not get stolen or anything. Two of my cousins' laptops were stolen in their dorm. It is very easy to pick up a textbook-sized laptop and just walk away with it. I reccommend setting a BIOS password and putting an "If laptop found, cash reward" sticker on it. That way, it will get stolen and unless the theif is a pro with computers, they will not be able to get in (or know how to reset BIOS on a laptop) and will return it, thinking they will get away with the reward.
jefry66
I would go dell or otherwise your local computer shop, but I never heard about Lenovo.
alkady
jefry66 wrote:
I would go dell or otherwise your local computer shop, but I never heard about Lenovo.

Lenovo is a Chinese Computer Maker, One of the biggest in the world in fact. They acquired IBM which was extremely controversial because it is a company part owned the the CCP - Chinese Communist Party, The Central Government of the People's Republic of China.
Mithrandir
Yeah, thats why I really don't want to get the Lenovo. I really don't want to support the Chinese government. But thanks for the advice about the BIOS and reward sticker. The Dell model that I was looking at has a built in fingerprint scaner which should work out well.
neosree
Dell is the best option. Go and get a costomised Dell system, along with 3 year warrenty, if u want. You can costomise the system for your own personal needs, which is not that much possible in a Lenovo laptop.
AftershockVibe
Mithrandir wrote:
Yeah, thats why I really don't want to get the Lenovo. I really don't want to support the Chinese government. But thanks for the advice about the BIOS and reward sticker. The Dell model that I was looking at has a built in fingerprint scaner which should work out well.

All of Sony's and Dell's PCs are assembled in China (well, Taiwan) as well Confused
photographerguy
I own a Dell Inspiron 9300. It's been over a year and no problems at all. There was a decent amount of options (ram, GHZ speed, monitor size, hard drive size and speed, etc) when ordering it.

I have nothing but good things to say about it.
SFMeatwad
I have a Dell Deminision 3000, but I only modified the graphics card on it, by upgrading it from integrated graphics, to an ATI Radeon 9250 PCI bus 256MB DDR.

I mostly use it to edit and create websites such as http://www.joinuf.com and my website, which is http://diaryofasahel.frih.net (Powered by Wordpress)

JoinUF.Com codes: PHP, HTML, CSS, Javscript
The template was first created by a clantemplates.com member, but I edited it completely and kept the style and format, but changed the color and pictures.

That's just about all I do on my computer is make websites. Also, I play Counter-Strike: Source, Halo Combat Evolved, Half-Life II series games, and many more. Heh.

My computer maxes out at 80GB. 256MB RAM, Impression 15" monitor, Logitech headset, Microsoft Optical Mouse, 4 speakers for extreme gaming experience.. (headset is for tournaments mostly, so I can hear the enemy better)
mercurial
i've never tried any of those notebooks..but from what i heard..lenovo is quite a reliable brand as so has IBM has been always. i think the hardware inside lenovo notebooks nver changed from its original IBM config..but for budget, dell would definitely be a better choice.
Bender1337
I wouldn't get a Dell i have herd tons of bad things from my friends. Get a sony or acer or abs look in newegg.com
venkateshwarans
My choice is a lenovo. My sister owned an ibm. She once dropped the laptop down. Luckily lcd was safe. But, hard drive got damaged. They replaced it for free without questions being asked. She obviously hid she had dropped it. She now owns a dell. She prefers ibm.
neosree
I am planning to buy a dell system, any top of the line. I want the performance to be top of the line, most other companies dont have any 7200 rpm hard disk drive on their laptops, I also need 1GB DDR2 667Mhz Ram, that also Dell have a choice. These are the reasons I want DEll, if any other companies met this with the same price tag as that of Dell , I will definetely choose them.
Xeniczone
Ever seens IBM sold their computer company the companys have turned IBM to crap. Nothing is high qualtiy or anything of the such.

IBM sold their hard drive co. to Hitachi.
IBM sold their Hardware co. to Lenovo.

I wouldn't buy from IBM anymore. IBM used to be like Apple High quality and High price. Now it is crap, because of one stupid decision way back when Sad

O well, Dell... Hmmm... They have been having problems for the last 3 years with their laptop. This is no normal problem. I'm talking your laptop egniting into flames. Odd they use Sony batteries but Sony uses Sony batteries, but their laptops don't burst into flames... Maybe using Sony as a 3rd party instead of first is bad. W/e.

Other then Apple I have always used Sony. I have every thing sony except my TV and Computer. (Can't afford their TV's) (My PC is a Apple). I have been very satified with it. I wish sony would make Macintosh compadible computers.
screamingdecay
I have a Dell 6000 for the past 1 1/2 with no trouble at all. 1.8 GHz, 1GB DDR2, ATI x300 80GB HDD
fionab
Definetly Dell. I am onto my 6th Dell as I upgrade every year minimum. Helps running the IT dept!!! I have never had a problem and find there after sales really great we always get great service and the security options are also great if you are worried about getting it stolen. Remember to select the appropriate option when specing the notebook. We had a few stolen and we were able to get them blocked for use. With Dell you cannot even buy a cable if you are not registered so a safe bet if you cannot afford to get a new one everytime yours goes missing.
As to which model it really depends what you primary use will be. The Inspiron is a good entery level.
izcool
I'm a Dell person, so I'm saying to go for Dell. I have 3 Dell laptops and I love them to death. I'd much rathar have a Dell than Gateway, Compaq, and IBM any day.

I have these laptops...

Dell Inspiron 6000 (Centrino @ 1.7GHz, Paid $750.00 for new)
Dell Latitude C600 (Pentium @ 3 850MHz, Paid $100.00 at a garage sale)
Dell Latitude C600 (Pentium @ 3 850MHz, Paid $100.00 at the same garage sale as the above one)

I have an old Toshiba Satellite 100CS (Pentium @ 75MHz), a Compaq LTE 5400 (Pentium @ 150MHz) and a MicronPC Transport which overheats, as the fan broke in it (Pentium 3 @ 600MHz) but I never really use them any longer.

I think it's all down to personal preference. I've had Dell computers for a long enough time to respect them more than any other manufacturer I've dealt with.

Since you said that you're going to be using your laptop for your college, I recommend spending about $30.00 at Circuit City and getting a Laptop Lock, which is a thing that locks your laptop to a table, a desk, or in a dorm room, so that the thing doesn't grow legs and walk away. Although they can snip the small cable, I think that some teacher is going to find it a bit suspicious that a part of a lock is still on the laptop when they go to use it. I have 3 of these locks (2 use keys and the 3rd uses a combination to unlock), and they work quite well. I've even seen things like LoJack For Laptops. That might be worth checking out.

Personally, I have stickers on the bottoms of each of my laptops for IDstrip.com, a service that's quite like what's been mentioned already. I know they have Stuffbak.com too, which I got a sticker for my Cellphone when I bought a case for it at MicroCenter. Don't take any chances.

- Mike.
psycosquirrel
Another good thing to do for security is incredibly simple, you just put an "(your name)'s laptop. Reward offered if lost, call ###-###-####" sticker on it (or etch it in, which is a better and more permanent solution) and then set a BIOS password.

Have you ever tried resetting the BIOS on a laptop?

It sucks, trust me. Most people will see the password prompt, try a few guesses, then give up and call you, saying they found it. You give them a cookie, or whatever as a reward, and you now have your laptop back.
Xeniczone
or if you don't have a stupid company like dell that uses the PCIMICA (w/e) port then you can put a GPS chip in it that runs of the laptop battery as long as you have access to the internet you can see where you laptop is.

but the sticker is still a good Idea. Also take off a memory cover and stick another sticker their so if they try to remove your sticker or sand off your name and claim it as yours you can take that cover off and shock them that you put it in more then one place.

I did something like this in my Macintosh I took a grinder and cut out a V in the metal on the inside so (because PowerMacs are expensive) if someone stole it and I reported what it looked like I can tell them their is a chunck of metal missing on the inside that looks like this and show them the picture.
Ghost1941
"Yeah, thats why I really don't want to get the Lenovo. I really don't want to support the Chinese government. But thanks for the advice about the BIOS and reward sticker. The Dell model that I was looking at has a built in fingerprint scaner which should work out well."

I wouldnt trust the Lenovo company due to reasons noted, but as for "Dell Security" watch myth busters Wink Those fingerprint scanners are very poor quality. It is extremely easy to get past a fingerprint scanner just off of the monitor... Touch your monitor screen once and they can pull your fingerprint off it with a regular dust and a piece of tape. Then a photo of it will be enough to access system...

Not saying that isnt alot to go through, but what... an hour of work for a $800+ laptop... BIO's is easy to get around, pull the chip and replace it. It clears BIO's settings. OS password... format the harddrive or buy a new one...
illegalhost
Yeah, you might want to check out alot of reviews before you actually get that dream laptop of yours! Obviously, IBM and DELL are both good brands and reputable in their own ways! But they are always coming out with new products, so unless you need it urgently (i waited until my school STARTS before getting one), you should wait for better options. There are many security options you could have, many are already listed in this forum. So obviously, you could always get some of those. the real deal is whether you need the laptop just for studies and research purposes or also for gaming purposes? Laptops are designed for different needs. But heck, its better to get the ones designed for gaming since the performance is usually much higher than laptops designed solely for Office/Excel purposes! Check out cnet, pcnet, notebook review, or laptopmag for more info.
photographerguy
Even though I am happy with my Dell laptop, I will never buy from this company again.

I bought a Dell printer/scanner as part of a package with my laptop.
Stupid dell won't make/release mac or linux driver's for printer. I think that is just bad business. They also monopolize their ink cartridges, but that isn't a big deal to me.

I guess the Dell printer is actually a Lexmark. I've read the Lexmark drivers will work for some models, but not mine.
japasco
Actually I use Dell products (desktop and PDA) and got no problems with them, but in other forums usually I read about the customer service from the brand and the general opinion is very bad. Anyway Dell machines are good but I dont want have any trouble!

Regards,
tuncay
Most of the people think that Dell is not so reliable, but that's not what I think. I think it offers the best prices and the customization is great.

I myself own a Dell Inspiron 6000 for 8 months and it's been a great pleasure to own this one.

When it comes to Lenovo, if you want to feel good when you look at your computer (in terms of design) stay away from it.
junx
If the guarantee expired, DELL charge a lot for repairing, that's an important thing to consider.

I don't know about the others..... I own a Toshiba currently, and the service is great.
Xeniczone
Yeh, Dell says they have the best service, but really their service sucks.
fadirocks
IBM has better service I have T42 2373-6vu with 4 years warranty and I really abused my laptop so when I had problem with it I called them they shipped empty box using DHL and all I had to fill up the box with my lappy and give it back to DHL in about 4 days I got my lappy back!
ganesh
I have had an Inspiron 9300 for the last 13 months, and touch wood, I haven't been having any major problems with it. Got it for $1300 with 1 GB RAM, 60 GB HD and a 17" screen.

What sucks, however, is the amount of bloatware that is bundled along with the laptop. I guess, except for the original Win XP installation, I have uninstalled each and every software that came pre-installed.

Dell has got quite a number of deals from coupons and other stuff which you can get hold of easily from the various deal websites, and in the end, Dell remains value for money!
tommygrenob
Mithrandir wrote:
I'm getting ready to buy a laptop for college and I can't decide if I should go with Dell or Lenovo (the old IBM). Does anyone have any advice for me? Which one is better for taking to college?

I would vote for Lenovo. I have a laptop made by Lenovo and I have used it for 4.5 yeas (at least 12h/day) without any problem! (If I had known this, I wouldn't but the warranty service.) But for the Dell machines, we always get problems and have to call Dell to repair them.

As I know, part of the stocks of Lenovo is held by the Chinese government. But do you guys know a little bit of China? It's a country quite different from USA or France. A great part of the money the government has is from this kind of companies, but they don't have very high taxes on companies and individual persons. If you say, we don't support the Chinese government, should we support the US government which governs all the word? Funny. It seems Dell is a private compant, but how can the US government fight any country they want? ---- The US government gets the money from all companies such as Dell and IBM, also the individual person!

So for me, Dell means cheap but low quality. Lenovo is much better.

PS. I work in a French university.
Donutey
Lenovo makes good machines, they are not the best looking, but they are sturdily built and logically laid out. I've had mine (non-thinkpad) for three years without any problems.
nivinjoy
From my friends' experiences and by using their systems i would recommend Dell..!! Lenovo is poor in sound quality and it is the worst i have heard ever in any of the the laptops..!! It's poor in speed too...!!

Anyway you can try for "hp" too..! In my opinion it is also good...!! Because i have heard that many complaints are there for the Dell systems...!!
bubbagump
Umm...Do you all realize that the very AMERICAN APPLE MACBOOK COMPUTERS are all basically made in CHINA??

People run companies be it a private, IPO or government entity. You have no idea what kind of people sit behind those desks so what does it matter??
olek87
i have a lenovo netbook with ion graphics. its good, it is very good at casestability (sorry, the word might be wrong, i mean the hardware, its not falling apart) but in my opinion the online support is really bad. the bios options arent really there and they are not developing an update, wich would better things or so ... i also hab problems to find driver for xp (it was shipped with win7). the last point is that you cant change the wifi card, its locked by the bios - dont think thats really good Sad
but i didnt had a dell yet...
AniM
Try HP. HP is the Best!
gixinme
i use this Machine for about 9 to 12 hrs a day, i have tested it once i just left it on for continuously for 3 days to check the performance lenovo it works very cool

An Other thing is in this 3 years i never Ran on Back to Any Service Person

Lenovo has a Good features like NOVO - One Key Recovery so u Dont need a Service Person Or a BackUp Disk/ Drives just click Novo an get back ur lappy as u bout it new

the only laptop with 4.1 / 4 Speakers & 1 Woofer & easy Media Keys & Border Less Display even few Dell / HP Users had said that lenovo Displays r really clarity is Excellent comparing it with them.

i had used it in Dusty conditions With Out Cooler Pad Lenovo Hard wares r good But fu things we have to compromise like we have to use a Scratch Guard on Display to protect permanent scratches Because the Display r Border less an u will never have a fell that u work with a laptop
Lenovo made other brands to think on the Style an Stunning look with Superior Futures

We can never an Ever Compare Dell With IBM - Think Pad Series the only Laptop with Crash Test

Dell had a bad impression in past Due to Burning Laptops In their own Mother Land US les US an Dell lost market an again now got back

Be Aware Of Any American Products & Services Because thay r made to Steel Ur Country Economy

A Sad Sick US
jonabob
psycosquirrel wrote:
Lenovo is not the old IBM, it is a company that took over the laptop branch of IBM. Therefore, they are the new IBM Very Happy

Dell blows, and the VAIO is unreliable. At work, I have to repair laptops all the time and the Thinkpads are in for repair very rarely. We have one or more Dells fail per week. There are no VAIOs, because the company had some bad experiences with them before I worked there (even though we were offered a great deal...)

Just make sure your laptop does not get stolen or anything. Two of my cousins' laptops were stolen in their dorm. It is very easy to pick up a textbook-sized laptop and just walk away with it. I reccommend setting a BIOS password and putting an "If laptop found, cash reward" sticker on it. That way, it will get stolen and unless the theif is a pro with computers, they will not be able to get in (or know how to reset BIOS on a laptop) and will return it, thinking they will get away with the reward.

Lenovo took over IBM's PC Devision (ThinkPads, ThinkCentres, IdeaPads...)
jonabob
I'm using a Dell Latitude C600 right now! (I think its over 10 years old) Very Happy
rjraaz
Dell is good but there their out of warranty services are very costly and bad.

they will always ask for money without troublshooting the problem.
ProwerBot
jonabob wrote:
I'm using a Dell Latitude C600 right now! (I think its over 10 years old) Very Happy

you need a new computer.
dude_xyx
I'm not a big Lenovo fan. Their phones sucks ( Had one )! So i don't have much faith on their Laptops and other stuff. I found their Laptops are pretty cheaper than most of other brands. But price is not the only thing you have to consider.
seemidip
Personally I will prefer lenovo bcz i have been using IBM and I love IBM quality.
SJUNYOB
Levono might be a better choice over Dell TODAY. I had been a long time Dell's guy for years until recently. Their customer services become poorer and poorer after time I went back to them. Not until 6 months ago, I change my new order from Dell to Levono. Dell canceled my order AFTER they verify and confirm my purchase. And Suprisingly, I found two other friends had similar experiences. I guess Dell is too big now. They don't care to lose one or two customers. Laptop breaks, Customer services is the most important thing one must consider beside the cost. Dell did a great job BUT NOT ANY MORE.
mahirh
psycosquirrel wrote:
with computers, they will not be able to get in (or know how to reset BIOS on a laptop) and will return it, thinking they will get away with the reward.

actually , you dont have to learn rocket science to do that you dont even have to flash the bios to do that http://dogber1.blogspot.com/2009/05/table-of-reverse-engineered-bios.html or http://www.askvg.com/how-to-reset-remove-bypass-a-bios-or-cmos-password/
if i was given the duty to reset the password , i would first remove the cmos battery and i would remove the main battery , try to turn it on by the power button (to discharge capcitors) again and again for a few minutes , after that , i would store it in a safe place and after 2 hours i would insert the battery again and viola! the victim's personal data and laptop is with me , (unless he uses truecrypt or something else to encrypt the whole drive)
gixinme wrote:
i use this Machine for about 9 to 12 hrs a day, i have tested it once i just left it on for continuously for 3 days to check the performance lenovo it works very cool

A Sad Sick US[/b]

what , you made an account just to post this??
ucintegrations
Dell.... Lenovo makes some better products but on a whole I would go with Dell.
ucintegrations
Even better, Go with a new Mac and run Windows on it along with Mac OSX.. OR... Build a PC that's follows the Mac OSX supported hardware list and build a dual boot of Windows 7/Mac OSX Snow Leopard.

Google it. there are many people doing the hackintosh.
abhinavm24
lenovo!
for those who do.
the_emissary
Add HP to the list then choose that...
Nick2008
I would probably go with Lenovo as well. Dells are no longer as reliable as they used to be...
mahirh
the_emissary wrote:
Add HP to the list then choose that...

HPs are unreliability kings. I gave seen a lot of them fail at me.
andro_king
First classify your needs then figure out about the warranty and services they offer make sure there are service centers near your place then purchase a laptop Smile
And between the options you have mentioned I suggest Dell
codegeek
AniM wrote:
Try HP. HP is the Best!

HP has a very bad reputation for overheating. My friend had an HP laptop that became scalding hot even while watching videos on VLC. If you're going to buy HP, do check the reviews for any overheating problems that other users may have had.

I would recommend a Lenovo 510.