FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cannot edit or CHMOD files

springbok
I run a Joomla site an it appears that all cmponents I add to the site apache takes ownership of the files. Because of this I cannot edit files and cannot make the applications work like I want them to. i need to edit a few file to make the components function correctly or have the correct text displayed but I cannot do this.

How can I get around this? I have seen another workaround where a fixmod file is created and have tried this but it has not worked for me.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks
Ratman2050
springbok wrote:
I run a Joomla site an it appears that all cmponents I add to the site apache takes ownership of the files. Because of this I cannot edit files and cannot make the applications work like I want them to. i need to edit a few file to make the components function correctly or have the correct text displayed but I cannot do this.

How can I get around this? I have seen another workaround where a fixmod file is created and have tried this but it has not worked for me.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks

If your using FriHosting then there is a way. Go to Direct Admin.
Ex. www.yoursite.frih.net/config/
When you get there go to File Manager.
Browse to the file you want to see/edit
At the lower portion of the page it says permission.
Type in the number you want.
Click Edit Permission or what it says(dont remeber exact name)
And there you have it! Good luck
springbok
Thanks for the help but I have tried this many times already and though I used to get a message something to do with being unable to save the document due to incorrect permissions I now get a "page cannot be displayed" error.

Any more advice?
Bondings
I put you on a cron job that should change the ownership of the files every day to your username. It should normally be working again now.