FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What other programs are there for voice chatting?

dickyzin
Besides, Google Talk, Yahoo, MSN and Skype, what other programs are there for voice chats which is reliable and doesn't use require much bandwidth? I'm asking this because the above programs that I've mentioned are banned in some countries.
Darius
Well you could try Gizmo, it's better then Skype.
shaggly
Also, if you're planning on using it for gaming, you could try programs like TeamSpeak.

These are a lot more cut down that VOIPS, and designed for channel talk, so you can have say 50 people in one channel, but it's not an open chat type channel.
dickyzin
Thanks guys. I'll ask someone to try these out in their country to see if they are banned.

Also with TeamSpeak, do you need to install it with a game?
surdy
Voipstunt, Globe are also there for Voice chat.
dray101
dickyzin wrote:
I'm asking this because the above programs that I've mentioned are banned in some countries.

Why are you interested in what countries they are banned in? are they banned in your country?
dickyzin
dray101 wrote:
dickyzin wrote:
I'm asking this because the above programs that I've mentioned are banned in some countries.

Why are you interested in what countries they are banned in? are they banned in your country?

Voice chat programs and web email sites have been blocked in my home country. It's not blocked here in the country that I'm living in at the moment but I would like to keep in touch with my friends and relatives back home.
dray101
Why have they been banned??????? What country?

Won't it be against the law if they are banned? Your family could get in trouble. Rolling Eyes
Balthamos
Skype is definitely your best bet. If your looking for low bandwidth, then Teamspeak/Ventrillo will work. There's a pretty cool one called KDX, but it is shareware and a little different from the rest.

~Balthamos
dickyzin
dray101 wrote:
Why have they been banned??????? What country?

Won't it be against the law if they are banned? Your family could get in trouble. Rolling Eyes

I don't want to name which country here but you can check out the following link to find out http://www.irrawaddy.org/aviewer.asp?a=5959&z=154.
redice
If not want to be banned, IAX based softphones (like DIAX: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/DIAX or Firefly: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Firefly etc ) are a good choice. IAX is a UDP based protocol, It only use a single UDP port for both protocol data and voice data, and the port number can change to any unused port in these software or IAX based voip switches and servers.

For SIP based softphone, there is a new opensource softphone OpenWengo. It designed based QT library and SIP protocol, support voice, video, SMS and text chat. Feature more, it is a cross-platform software, support M$, Linux based operation system and Mac OS. It also has a firefox plugin. Like skype, it is free for soft-soft call.
shaggly
dickyzin wrote:
Thanks guys. I'll ask someone to try these out in their country to see if they are banned.

Also with TeamSpeak, do you need to install it with a game?

No m8, it's an entirely stand alone application, so you just install it in the same way as any other s/w app. However, that is the client side application.

I should probably have mentioned that to use it as part of a gaming environment or clan, you do need to have it hosted up on a server somewhere. It's not like Skype or a VOIP "calling" service, in that they use their own dedicated servers.

However, if you're going to use it amongst mates as a small VOIP setup, you could always set up your own server using something like XAMPP and host it that way.

Some of the gaming communities and clans that I've belonged to in the past have used it exclusively. The security on it is pretty good, and it seems very reliable in terms of non-crashing. You can run it on Linux servers as well as Windows.

Hope this helps
bnbrown
Teamspeak