FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cannot connect via FTP. Have tried everything...

Editorinchief
I think at this point a moderator or someone who really knows what they are talking about should read this...

I am trying to connect to my account at: ftp.streetpaper.frih.net. I use port 21, I use my correct login and pass. I uncheck passive connections, and I have used filezilla, SmartFTP, and even FlashFXP which many people said would work. Still no luck. Here is the message I keep getting from FlashFXP:

Quote:
[R] Connecting to ftp.streetpaper.frih.net -> DNS=ftp.streetpaper.frih.net IP=216.32.85.170 PORT=21
[R] Connection failed (No route to Host)

Can someone help me out here? Maybe I just need a new DNS?

EDIT: Trying my account without the ftp in front of it still gives me the same problem, so that point is irrelevant.

EDIT: I also noticed some recent posts about server 2 wierdness. Unfortunately, I have not been able to connect for the last TWO MONTHS. I am on server 2 also though.

I have done the obvious steps, like making sure the firewall is not blocking the FTP program.

Should I be doing something more advanced like connecting to an IP, or perhaps going to a certain path? I have no idea, and all this complication is really pushing me to just ditch this Frih.net account since I can't use it.
s43ros
I use smartFTP and I just checked and i have my address without the ftp.
So try your address as "streetpaper.frih.net"
garionw
I am having the same problem:

I cant connect to my ftp account. Im on server 2 and my website is: gazgames.frih.net

the microsoft one says that It cant connect to the server while FileZilla says its unable to connect
Ratman2050
garionw wrote:

I cant connect to my ftp account. Im on server 2 and my website is: gazgames.frih.net

the microsoft one says that It cant connect to the server while FileZilla says its unable to connect

Ok I recommend downloading a thing called Core FTP Lite.
First of all you need an ftp client such as Core FTP Lite. Search on google for download. *Note: Core FTP Lite is a free client while its home edition and pro edition are not.
After you have that downloaded install it and run.
I assume you have a frihost host already and you have a site subdomain or domain along with your accuont details.
Ok when you start a new conection you should enter the following details:

IP/HOSTNAME: ftp.Yoursite.frih.net (NOT JUST yoursite.frih.net)
Also* In your account it shows a IP type number URL which you could use.
USERNAME: Your selected username given
PASSWORD: Your selected Password given
Port 21 is defualt.

Try connecting with that.
Editorinchief
Ratman2050 wrote:
garionw wrote:

Ok I recommend downloading a thing called Core FTP Lite.
First of all you need an ftp client such as Core FTP Lite. Search on google for download. *Note: Core FTP Lite is a free client while its home edition and pro edition are not.
After you have that downloaded install it and run.
I assume you have a frihost host already and you have a site subdomain or domain along with your accuont details.
Ok when you start a new conection you should enter the following details:

IP/HOSTNAME: ftp.Yoursite.frih.net (NOT JUST yoursite.frih.net)
Also* In your account it shows a IP type number URL which you could use.
USERNAME: Your selected username given
PASSWORD: Your selected Password given
Port 21 is defualt.

Try connecting with that.

Yes I have a frihost already and all the account details. All I have done now is add yet another FTP program to my list of FTP programs that will not work. The IP was also something I tried with all of the other programs and this one now as well. This is obviously a bigger problem, and so far no moderators have given this their time to try and solve this for me...
garionw
I doesnt matter now, I can connect through Windows FTP client. I would switch to some other software but I find its easest just to go thorugh run in Windows

Thanks for all of your help though, anyway
mOrpheuS
Try a traceroute to frih.net server, run the following in your command prompt :
Code:
tracert ftp.streetpaper.frih.net

Are you able to connect to any ftp at all ?
Try connecting to ftp://ftp.geocities.com (no need for username/password) to make sure ftp isn't getting blocked off in your connection firewall.
Rsam
FTP is not working for me either.

and just to show my DNS is working:

cavey
Check that you are not blocking the ip 216.32.85.170 in f.ex. PeerGuardian or other blocking-programs. 216.32.85.170 is actually on their blocking-list, and have been for ca 2 months now!
Rsam
cavey wrote:
Check that you are not blocking the ip 216.32.85.170 in f.ex. PeerGuardian or other blocking-programs. 216.32.85.170 is actually on their blocking-list, and have been for ca 2 months now!

Well that fixed it right up, any clue as to why the Frihost FTP is being blocked on Peer Guardian?