FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problem with fopen and fclose files

SpellcasterDX
Well, on my forums, there's a feature where I can edit a .txt file from the directory through the use of a script that comes with the forum (DiscoBoards).
The problem is, when I edit the .txt file, it says the file was edited successfully . But when I go to the TOS page (In this case I was trying to edit the Tos.txt file from the script) the change I made to the file with the script isn't there. So, my question is, does the server not allow me to edit files from a script?
wumingsden
SpellcasterDX wrote:
Well, on my forums, there's a feature where I can edit a .txt file from the directory through the use of a script that comes with the forum (DiscoBoards).
The problem is, when I edit the .txt file, it says the file was edited successfully . But when I go to the TOS page (In this case I was trying to edit the Tos.txt file from the script) the change I made to the file with the script isn't there. So, my question is, does the server not allow me to edit files from a script?

Yeah, it should. Maybe the Tos.txt needs a certain CHMOD, like 777? Set it to this then try and report back.
SpellcasterDX
Yea, but, I don't get a 403 forbidden error, the script works fine, but the change I made doesn't appear. I don't think it's permissions.
wumingsden
SpellcasterDX wrote:
Yea, but, I don't get a 403 forbidden error, the script works fine, but the change I made doesn't appear. I don't think it's permissions.

Well fopen and fclose must work because other website software use them, which include well-known blogging software. I asked about the CHMOD because if the file isn't writable then no changes will be able to be made. Usually an error would appear but as I'm well aware DiscoBoards is coded rather different.
SpellcasterDX
Well, I'll try and set the tos.txt file to 777 and then edit it and see if it works.
But I still doubt it's permissions. Do you have any other suggestions?
wumingsden
SpellcasterDX wrote:
Well, I'll try and set the tos.txt file to 777 and then edit it and see if it works.
But I still doubt it's permissions. Do you have any other suggestions?

No, sorry. All I know is that fopen and fclose have worked for me before so you shouldn't have a problem. It is likely to be the software.
SpellcasterDX
Well I'll be darned. I CHMODDED the tos.txt file to 777 and when I edited it, it said the same messege that it was edited successfully and when I went to check it when I clicked TOS, the change was actually there! You were right, wumingsden. Guess you know a lot more than I do. Thanks for your help! Smile
wumingsden
SpellcasterDX wrote:
Well I'll be darned. I CHMODDED the tos.txt file to 777 and when I edited it, it said the same messege that it was edited successfully and when I went to check it when I clicked TOS, the change was actually there! You were right, wumingsden. Guess you know a lot more than I do. Thanks for your help! Smile

Your welcome, I also doubt that.

-locked-