FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problem with write perimissions.

PatTheGreat42
Hey - stupid question.

Did FriHost recently make any changes to the write permission on the server? I am very suddenly having a problem opening files to write to them. I wind up with something like this:

Quote:
Warning: fopen(visitors.txt): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/patthegr/public_html/index.php on line 78

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/patthegr/public_html/index.php on line 79

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/patthegr/public_html/index.php on line 80

I have no idea what caused it, and I know my code ain't wrong - it used to work. I posted this under hosting because the only thing I can think of is that it was disabled or somethin'. Thanks.
wumingsden
Is the file visitors.txt CHMOD to 777? It sounds like it should be and you should be able to change it yourself - it doesn't sounds as if apache would would try and own a file like this.
CyanEyed
hey,

how do i change chmod to 777?

im trying to set a rating system on my poetry. at the moment i have one page in php: http://www.cyaneyed.frih.net/poetry/entrancing-eyes.php.

i get the following error:

Quote:
Warning: fopen(item_1.rating): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/cyaneyed/domains/cyaneyed.frih.net/public_html/rater/rater.php on line 84

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/cyaneyed/domains/cyaneyed.frih.net/public_html/rater/rater.php on line 85

in DirectAdmin i selected the files and put 777 in the set permissions box and clicked it. when the page reloads it shows 755 and when i refresh my poem, it still comes up with the same error.

any help?

:::::::EDIT::::::::

my mistake. the permissions are set to 777, i didnt see the permissions column.

but does anyone know why im getting this error.

also, when i have it on:
http://www.cyaneyed.frih.net/rater/test.php it works fine
but when i put it into my other pages, it messes up.
saiyeek
Yes, u must change the file permission to 777 to read and write.