FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Age of Empires 3

Harley14
Any Age of Empires 3 players post here?
For those of you who haven't heard of AoE3 (where have you been?!?) take a look here or here. Its the best RTS game you can buy. But don't be fooled, the sites and reviews make it look a lot better than it is. The company that made it, Ensemble Studios, released way to early and skipped loads of stuff so they ruined it a little. But it is still a fantastic game.
jipmerite
I have not played AoE3 much but I did try it. I found that compared to AoE-II The Conquerers Expansion, AoE3 is very slow paced. It takes too long to get into full gear and go to war. But I might be wrong because I only played a few tutorials in AoE3.

The graphics and physics of AoE3 is amazing. That makes the game very enjoyable. But that is only if you have a relatively good gaming PC with 512RAM and a good Graphics Card.

I also find the background music too boring.

My friends and I loved AoE-II The Conquerers. We stayed up many many nights playing multiplayer. Each of us had different styles. One of my friends loved the Serecens and just when we thought we had destroyed him fully he would come with about 50 Elephants and beat the crap out of us.... Laughing

We played it so much that when we went to bed we'd dream of making Farms.

Those were some really happy days... Very Happy
Diebels
I got it directly after release and played thru... It΄s a nice storyline and the grafic is fantastic. There should be more games in this quality
Harley14
Quote:
AoE3 is very slow paced

Yes alot of people think that, but there is always the deathmatch option. I also loved AoE2 but the graphics are just terrible and I cant stand it anymore.
jipmerite
Smile Yeah AoE2 graphics is out dated now. But you have to keep in mind that it is a very old game. But even today, playing multi-player match in is still as enjoyable.
djsamsung
AOE3 is an awesome game....

great graphics, physics....especially gameplay. it's not slow....if u play the multiplayer or campaign.

dunno what else to say, coz i dun hav anything bad to say bout this game.
Fire Boar
I can't get the multiplayer to work Crying or Very sad

I love the game, but if there's one thing that's wrong with it (multiplayer aside), it's a balance issue with the ships. A half-decent fleet can completely obliterate most costal bases. They're just far too powerful! And those ships with the long-ranged attacks can get pretty much anything.
jipmerite
You'll have to make lots of Towers near those coastal bases and make a navy of your own. There are short range attack ships that these long range ships will find difficlut to hit. Use them to destroy them when they come near.
Hojo
Age of Empires 3 is one of my favorite games. the graphics are nice and i really like the concept of home towns where you can 'order' resources like food and wood, villagers, military units etc.

compared to aoe2 i find it a bit slow, but that doesnt mean its not fun. i mostly still play aoe2 because most of my friends didnt get age of empires 3. beating the missions was fun, a great game, i can only recommend it
Harley14
Quote:
I can't get the multiplayer to work

Go to Agecommunity and make a post in the tech and game support forum. Loads of helpful people there.
angelussum
I tried the trial, didn't really like it. For now, I'm sticking to my AOEII.

Personally, the graphics didn't really seem worth the change in the pace/style of the game.
kelvinpoon
jipmerite wrote:
Smile Yeah AoE2 graphics is out dated now. But you have to keep in mind that it is a very old game. But even today, playing multi-player match in is still as enjoyable.

Yeah, you're right. The graphic is out dated but the game is excellent!
moonblade
Meh, I played AoE III and got rather disappointed. First of all, it's too slow-paced. Second, there's very little innovation in it, and while it was still fine for AoE 2 and AoM, getting a (actually fourth) new game that plays exactly the same is a bit... meh. The town center idea is sort of nice, but it's not really enough. A good AI, some challenging maps and other such things would've done wonders though. Ah, well. I suppose for those that hadn't started their acquaintance with AoE from first game in series, AoE 3 is a great game. And it is. Just... Same old, same old.
Harley14
Same old same old, Whats left to be done? There are no new stlye of games to make, well good ones anyway. And of course its going to be like AoE2, its AoE3! But really it isnt much like it, Its set in a comepletly different time period, theres new units buildings and loads of other new stuff like treasure, Trading Posts etc. And if you think its slow then just play Death match.
ibix
Age of Empires 3 is quite good but my fouvourite is still Age of Mythology Smile
kch0rr0
This is a great game!!!, for me one of the greatest things in this game is the ability to create 5 units at the same time. At first I thought it wasn't going to be so interesting, you know, because of more tech, guns and stuff, but now that I have played it, it is really great. does anybody play in the net???, I would be really interested in playing with someone else not just the PC. Shocked
triggerhappy
age of empires III i think its the greatest success but remeber expansions, i wonder what it would be?? Think
tamilchild
this game best game for children and others. prince game is also good
jipmerite
For Kids I'd say Microsoft's Zoo Tycoon is better.. It is fun, and also educational. A very good game.
Harley14
Quote:
This is a great game!!!, for me one of the greatest things in this game is the ability to create 5 units at the same time. At first I thought it wasn't going to be so interesting, you know, because of more tech, guns and stuff, but now that I have played it, it is really great. does anybody play in the net???, I would be really interested in playing with someone else not just the PC.

Theres usually about 3000 people online.
My frihost account is for my AoE3 clan website. http://www.breezeclan.frih.net come to our new site and we'd be happy to play with you. I love playing against the AI with clan members and friends, its so cool!
triggerhappy
i would go to play but i lost my disk cus of my dim witted brother throwing disks like frisbees Evil or Very Mad
viss00
nice game for 5 minutes Cool
faker_phil
viss00 wrote:
nice game for 5 minutes Cool

Exactly. After that, the nice graphics (which aren't that terrific) can't cover the horrible gameplay anymore, and you go back to AoE 2 Wink
SLNapster
My clan and myself play AOE3 a lot. Most of us love that game. The only thing that really gets us ticked off is that sometimes its really hard to get a game going!
Trent DeWhite
I tried the Age of Empires III trial, and I must say that I did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I'm definitely partial Age of Empires II... if only my TC cd hadn't gotten chewed up by my CD-rom drive, then perhaps I'd still be playing. Rolling Eyes
Dark_Jedi06
I used to play AoE 3 like non-stop...I played a little more then 400 games before I got bored with it. I've tried getting back into it, but my computer can barley run it and it lags like hell during massive battles so I end up losing. Rolling Eyes

It was worth the $50, though. Wink
eqfan
it is a nice game ,i like it
Bourgondier
I don't like that type of games, exept for Command en Conquer that a
really cool game yeah baby!
XLax
I had a major AoE addiction about a year ago. I've been fighting my temptation to buy the new one lol. I've managed to avoid seeing any screenshots of it or anything so I'm good so far. Somebody told me it was completely 3d, so either way I dont think my computer could handle it as smoothly as I'd like.
saskshadowplayers
great game however my computer isnt good enough to run it at great quality. The seabattles are really frusterating too... it drops to about 0.25 FPS sometimes (yes thats less than one)
Waerjak
AoE3 is the best game ever made! Very Happy Its really fun and challenging to play online, and the ranking system is great! It was hard to get used to the card system though...
PristonMaster
nice game to play when im bored here and i dont have nothing to do Wink