FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Slow startup

ahussain
Windows startup is extremly slow. Please assist.
Deji
see

http://frihost.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4103

for suggestions.
BrettL
Make sure you dont have spyware,and check ur drivers
Oscar
Since TechGuy service ( search -Google ) is one of the fastest and most reliable ( despite Microsoft technical support ) Iam not going to double it up but from my experience it worth trying to regularly ( I use two,three times a day with heavy comp usage ) use RegCleaning utillity.I use Regsupreme, and
Windows Registry Repair Pro.Of course the basic step starts with Msconfig command.
Cheers.
spider89
I use WinXP Manager. This program have startup manager (all progs start in windows), registry cleaner and more. My PC great working Smile I advice WinXP Manager for "cleaning" computer.
progma
Try to deaktivate the autostart of services you don't need
snoppy
Use the System Mechanic and O&O Defrag Pro.

For system mechanic : http://www.iolo.com/

For O&O Defrag Pro : http://www.oo-software.com/

This programs will be usefull. Trust me Smile
myrevolt
you probably just have too many programs that run at start up, my preference is Codestuff Starter http://freedownloadswindows.com/65276/starter_56141.html disable any programs you don't need. Also if you still have problems post a Highjackthis log http://www.merijn.org/files/HijackThis.exe For links to these and more I recommend the sticky here: http://forums.g4tv.com/messageview.cfm?catid=64&threadid=192397
Indyan
Try the following.You should get a faster startup.

1.Delete unused fonts.
2.Download Tuneup Utilities (Shareware).
a)Run the registry cleaner
b)Run the registry defragger
c)Remove unneccesary programs from start-up list.
3.Download Perfect Disk from Raxco.Do a smart defrag followed by offline defrag.
4.Download Zoom (Shareware)from Dachshund Software.
5.Download Tunexp from Driver Heavens(freeware)It may help.You may also want to try out Bootvis from Microsoft.
6.Remove unneccesary service.In the run box type services.msc
Follow this advice
http://web.archive.org/web/20041128084144/www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
But create a system restore point before trying this.

Avoid using Resource hogging programs liks NAV.Also make sure ur PC is virus and spyware free.Recomended software are KAV (KAV can be a resource hog.If that is the case use NOD32)and Webroot Spy Sweeper+Spybot Search and Destroy.
Hope these tips help you.
aningbo
just dont anything dude.... downloading files and deleting those files is really unnecessary. just let me know your operating system and your PC configuration.

it is for sure that if u have a 128 MB DD RAM, u can't expect much but anyway let me know more about your computer and will let u know more.
Simulator
Well you could save the files you want onto a disc and then format your PC, I do it once a month, Its may sound stupid but it works
aningbo
alright, u guys give strange suggestions..try this:

Go to Start\Run\ then type msconfig

Go to the startup tap or from the genral settings - check for 'selective startup' and uncheck the startup programs there.

thats it. u will xperience the ever before system again.
SNES350
You should get Spybot Search & Destroy and let it run TeaTimer whenever your system is on. That will alert you whenever something is trying to add/change/delete a registry entry, or try if something tries to make it start at boot time (or stop itself from starting at boot time).
engalex
doing defragmentation to your drivt it's contain windows file Laughing
THE11thROCK™
This is a piece of my long list of what's good and what's not for a better PC start-up, try it - you won't be disappointed.

Windows XP Platform Tweaks:

Stop Services or make it Manual:
FTP Publishing, Message Queuing, DLTC, IPSEC Policy, Remote Registry Agent,
RIP Listener, WWW Publishing, Automatic Updates, Error Reporting, System Restore, Indexing, Internet Connection Firewall (If not in Use), Messenger, NVdia Driver Helper, Portable Media Serial Number, Task Scheduler

System Properties:
You can disable Remote Connection, Automatic Updates, and System Restore to speed-up your PCs performance.

Swap File:
Change min and max to at least 2GB

Prefetch:
Always Clean Prefetch and Temporary Files and history if unneeded

File System:
NTFS is the best considering its' encryption, security, and I/O throttling capabilities.
It also supports up to 2 terabytes HD capacity.

Windows 2000 Log-on for XP:
Go to Users, uncheck Welcome Screen and your done.

Remove Windows Component:
Go first to folder options and choose to show hidden and system files. Navigate to
Windows and search for INF folder, then look for sysoc and open it with Notepad.
Then go to Edit toolbar, press Replace, type Hide in the first blank space, and leave
the second space blank. Save the file and now you're done. You can now uninstall
unnecessary windows components like Messenger, Outlook and many more.

Fast Boot Sequence:
Download and install bootvis, if you like you can set the windows theme appearance to best performance, or take out the wallpaper. You can also uncheck GUI-boot loading in MS-config.

Better to use the Run Commands:
msconfig (start-up), chkdsk /f (scandisk), Iexpress (self installer), Eudcedit (Character Editor), Mplayer2 (old Media Player), Conf (netmeeting), Regedit (Edit Registry), Netstat-a (open all conncetions), Netstat-o (process all connected IDs)

I could say more, but it won't fit here. Wink
aningbo
u guys make things so COMPLICATED. the one i mention about is more than enough. your system should work just fine..... after going thru the stpes i mentioned.
noliver
Well since everyone has suggested everything else - you have to look at the hardware side of things. Is your monitor perhaps to close to your PC Box ?

As we all know the monitor ( or screen ) exudes magnetic waves ( that may make you sterile ) and these magnetic waves may be negatively charged and they may be holding back your hard drive which is positively charged.

Move your monitor ( also known as a screen ) away from the PC Box ( sometimes incorrectly called CPU) and the force of the monitor may no longer affect the hard-drive.

May the force be with you !
(but not enough to make you sterile)

Wink
Indyan

lol,that was the best solution ever posted in this section.
babumuchhala
noliver wrote:
Well since everyone has suggested everything else - you have to look at the hardware side of things. Is your monitor perhaps to close to your PC Box ?

As we all know the monitor ( or screen ) exudes magnetic waves ( that may make you sterile ) and these magnetic waves may be negatively charged and they may be holding back your hard drive which is positively charged.

Move your monitor ( also known as a screen ) away from the PC Box ( sometimes incorrectly called CPU) and the force of the monitor may no longer affect the hard-drive.

May the force be with you !
(but not enough to make you sterile)

Wink
Coolest answer dude.

Plus he could try spanking the PC Box so that it behaves properly next time and everytime.
munale874
i rekommender
http://www.iolo.com/
i like it Smile
its easy to use and its very good Very Happy
billybob
the usual cause to a slow start up is the large number of background programs that start up @ the same time as windows all you need to do is stop these there are two ways of doing so one is start/run/msconfig clickin on the startup tab and uncheckin the unesessery programs ie not antivirus