FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DDR2 instead of DDR

Darius
I know it will sound silly, but could a DDR2 module run on a board with DDR slot? I know he difference between the modules, but still - are they compatible? Embarassed
Helios
No. If your slot supports DDR only, then DDR you should be using.
psycosquirrel
I don't even think a DDR2 module will fit into a DDR slot. While the sticks are the same size, (assumming I am remembering these numbers correctly) DDR has 184 contacts while DDR2 has 214 contacts.

DDR2 is not even worth the upgrade nowadays anyways, the 2% or less (sometimes even decrease %) in performance is not worth the upgrade.
TheGeek
DDR2 has more pins and therefore i believe it is slightly longer in length than DDR. DDR will fit in a DDR2 slot, but i wouldnt recommend it, lol.
psycosquirrel
Actually, the contacts are smaller and the notch is in a different place... You could not get it in without signifigant force and physically damaging the RAM in the process.
Donutey
I would give 10Frih if I saw a pick of someone who had successfully gotten a DDR2 module in a DDR1 slot. Rolling Eyes
falconfx
The RAM slots differ for the pin connectors so you can't insert a DDR2 module in a DDR slot and viceversa.

Take also in mind that DDR2 modules work at 1.8V and DDR modules at 2.8V .

Regarding the performances I suggest you to read some reviews about the new AM2 socket: you will see that the higher frequency of DDR2 isn't enough to battle the "old" DDR due to its higher latency.

Choose the DDR2 standard only if you are going to buy a new computer and not if you want to upgrade your current PC.
ForceRun
there are mobos that have both DDR1 slots and DDR2 slots, but so you can run both DDR1 and DDR2 off of the same board, but I'm not sure if you can run them at the same time. The slots like you all said are phyisicly different.
psycosquirrel
falconfx wrote:

Regarding the performances I suggest you to read some reviews about the new AM2 socket: you will see that the higher frequency of DDR2 isn't enough to battle the "old" DDR due to its higher latency.

Choose the DDR2 standard only if you are going to buy a new computer and not if you want to upgrade your current PC.

Right now the difference in performance between DDR2 and DDR systems is inexistant. Sometimes, a DDR system will even outperform the DDR2 system in gaming. Overall, DDR2 gives less than a 2% performance increase and is by no means a reason just to upgrade. So anyone out there considering upgrading to AM2 just for DDR2 should forget it. It is stupid.
Darius
well i agree on the matter now - there is no point in upgrading to DDR2. Whant more speed? Decrease timigs Wink it'll be even faster than DDR2