FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

help me i'm stupid

IvyA
For some reason i hae not been able to figure out the concept of uploading a page to the web. Creating the site is one thing...I can do that at least to some extent...but getting it from the computer to the internet i can't seem to grasp. In case it helps, i'm using adobe go live to edit the thing. Any help would be appreciated.
Ratman2050
Ok I can help you out here.
First of all you need an ftp client such as Core FTP Lite. Search on google for download. *Note: Core FTP Lite is a free client while its home edition and pro edition are not.
After you have that downloaded install it and run.
I assume you have a frihost host already and you have a site subdomain or domain along with your accuont details.
Ok when you start a new conection you should enter the following details:

IP/HOSTNAME: ftp.Yoursite.frih.net
USERNAME: Your selected username given
PASSWORD: Your selected Password given
Port 21 is defualt.

After that lets say you want to install phpbb. First thing you have to do is go to phpbb.com and download their project in .zip format. Extract it all in a various folder supposedly named PHPBB. Inside thier should be a place where it says phpbb2 there is a list of files and folders starting with admin.
I want you to go to Core FTP Lite and in its explorer find those files. Then go to your site connected via FTP and click on public_html then on your explorer on your computer on Core FTP, click on all files, then copy, then at your website in public_html right click paste. Wait until everything is uploaded. THen go to your website on Internet Explorer or your browser whatever it is, and type in your website URL. It should show the PHPBB Forum Installation. Refer to the PhpBb official site for information on installing it furthermore.

*Big Note: You need a databse through your Direct Admin first in MySQL. I also hope you have a web server such as Apache installed, PHP 4 or later, and MySQL Server 4 or later.
Mitcal
Hi guys,

I am trying to install phpBB2 on my site and I have gone to the www.mysite/phpBB2/install/install.php but it just comes up with an error 404, any ideas?

Any help would be appriciated.

Mitcal
Ratman2050
Mitcal wrote:
Hi guys,

I am trying to install phpBB2 on my site and I have gone to the www.mysite/phpBB2/install/install.php but it just comes up with an error 404, any ideas?

Mitcal

Pm me I will install Phpbb2 correctly for you for some frih$ if youd like?

Look at my site, if you think I cannot do it:

www.fantasypc.frih.net
Mitcal
No thanks, I'd rather learn how to do it myself Smile

I'll PM you if I get in over my head Smile

Thanks for the offer though
rvec
instead of mysite.com you should enter your own site. For example:
www.Mitcal.frih.net/phpBB2/install/install.php

and next time make your own topic, you'll get faster help.
mOrpheuS
Mitcal wrote:
Hi guys,

Mitcal

You've placed phpBB in a folder called "forums" and not "phpBB2".

You'll reach it at - <yoursite>.frih.net/forums/install/install.php
Mitcal
Hi,

I figured that problem out. But it just came up with a load of warnings and errors after I pressed install. What is this about the "Database must already exist"? I have now gotten into mySQL trying to create a database and all that, but where does it go once I'v made it? I thought this thing was supposed to be easy to install! - and I wouldn't call MySQL childsplay...
rvec
on directadmin:
go to MySQL Management
press Create new Database
fill in some data and klick ok
then save or remember the password and database name and everything
fill those in the phpbb instalation.
Mitcal
I did it! After hourse of following a red herring, I managed to do exactly what rvec said above, Thanks rvec! but I actually found the same information under "Installing phpBB" tutorial in the tutorials section. And I actually followed the steps there. But rvec did give me the right information Smile

Thanks for all the help guys! Does anyone know how to change the picture in the top left so that it does not have the phpBB logo? Because at the moment it just looks like a phpBB bebsite, not my own Wink

Michael
rvec
The picture can be found here: templates/subSilver/images/logo_phpBB.gif
Go to that folder using ftp . And overwrite the picture with a new picture you prefere.
Scorpio
rvec wrote:
The picture can be found here: templates/subSilver/images/logo_phpBB.gif
Go to that folder using ftp . And overwrite the picture with a new picture you prefere.

If you, however want to remove that picture altogether, then go to templates/subsilver/.. overall_header.tpl

In that search for "logo_phpbb.gif" then delete the statement that puts the image into the forum.

Now you will have no image there. and you get a little space as well
rvec
or you could change the link in overall_header.tpl. That way you can use images on other hosts, or other locations.