FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


SMTP, DB, & Hosting Domain Qs





seastatue
Hi,

We are currently on awardspace. com. While they have a professional staff and we have not had any downtime (just a few slow servers), their free accounts aren't meeting our needs for the following reasons:

1. No outgoing email from website, either via mail() (phpBB) or SMTP. This makes it impossible to administer our forum. No email verifications, lost passwords, or thread subscriptions.

2. One 10 mg mysql db. We are only in the constructing phase of our forum and it already takes up 5 mgs.

3. Blocked links. Several links posted in our forum cause the threads to redirect to a host's site. There is nothing obscene or illegal about these links. Everytime a user unwittingly puts one of these links in a post, admins have to open the db and clean the thread.

4. We have our own domain name which we need to use. Do you support domains or only subdomains?

Could you tell me your policy on the above items. Also, what is the usual waiting time to apply-approve a new account?

Will I get credits toward a new account for posting here? I'm a little shaky on how the credits work. (Yes, I read the FAQ.)

Thanks for your help.
James007
Mysql databases are unlimited in size and number, but your account size is 250MB so your database can't be more than 250MB (theoretically)

We don't block anything. You have full DirectAdmin access to manage your space.

We give you a subdomain: http://yoursubdomain.frih.net, but you are free to buy a domain name (we can't help you with that) and redirect the dns servers to the frihost name servers, so you can let that domain name have the content of your frihost subdomain. All you need to do is add the domain (www.yourdomain.com) to your directadmin panel.

It's all very easy. All you need to do is to keep your points above 0. Each day you loose one point. You gain points by posting on our forums. If you make like just one good post you've already gained 2-3 points.

If you're a new user you need to make a few good quality posts for us to be sure you are able to make quality posts. If your posts are all one liners, you'll be banned without notice. If they aren't good enough your account request will be rejected, but you're free to ask again if you think your posts have improved. Smile

Any more questions? please ask, we are here to help Smile
seastatue
Great, quick response, James. Thank you.

So we would get 250mg and, theoretically, if we needed it, our db could take up all of it, with the 250 being the only constraint? That's terrific. Should we grow beyond this at some point, are there provisions to increase either space or bandwidth by posting?

Could you address your mail policy specifically? Do you allow the mail() function of phpBB and/or allow SMTP? This is mission-critical for our forum.

Also, at awardspace.com, they have an area in their CP with php add-ons that they've tested themselves. This includes the phpBB and others. Do you have an area like this? There are other add-ons we would like to use like blogging, guestbook, subscription form, and refer-a-friend.

Per the application requirement, I've posted on this thread and on one of the contest threads. I believe I have 5 posts now. If you could look at my posts and let me know if they are acceptible or not, it would be greatly appreciated. If not acceptible, please give me some pointers to improve them. Thanks again!
SpellcasterDX
Yes, your database can be as large as need be, so long as it doesn't go past 250MB (theoretically)
SMTP and php mail() are allowed, because I host a forum and php mail() is working like a charm. Smile
At some point (I don't know when) Frihost will open up a shop where you can buy additional space/bandwith. But currently, this feature isn't available. As for pointers on getting good posts, just take a look at this post and see how long it is. A little more than half of the size of this posts are good, acceptable posts. At least they should be. Or you could try posts as big as this one or bigger. (Or a bit smaller)
seastatue
Thanks, Spell. Much appreciated. It will be great to report back to our group that we would have both mail() AND SMTP here.

Is there much server downtime or slowdowns? We've had no downtime on awardspace, but we have had some painful slowdowns.

The idea of using fri$ to purchase more space/bw when we need it sounds great. Are we talking, say, a year from now for this to be realized?

Also, where is FriHost geographically? I see a lot of international posters on this board.

Is there a max number of points or fri$ that one can earn from posting?

Thanks again for the help, Spell.
Daniel15
Quote:
Is there much server downtime or slowdowns? We've had no downtime on awardspace, but we have had some painful slowdowns.

There's literally no downtime here. You can check the uptime information for my site at http://www.uppanel.com/showinfo?4850 . However, my site is on Server 1, and yours will be on Server 2 (all new members are on server 2)

Quote:

The idea of using fri$ to purchase more space/bw when we need it sounds great. Are we talking, say, a year from now for this to be realized?

I'm not really sure, although I must say, 250MB is a huge amount of space Smile

Quote:

Also, where is FriHost geographically? I see a lot of international posters on this board.

Well, the server is located in the USA, and the main admin here (Bondings) comes from Belgium. Indeed, our members come from all different countries, and even the moderation team has members from all over the world (I'm from Australia)

Quote:

Is there a max number of points or fri$ that one can earn from posting?

I believe that you can get a maximum of 4 points per post.
James007
4 points as a maximum, 1 point as a minimum.

Your points get reset every day to 45. This is because we want to avoid people spamming themselves to 200 points and then not showing up for 200 days. Theoretically its possible to stay away from this forum for 45 days without a problem. But it's much easier if you come once a week and post some replies/new topics. I come here every day, just because it's fun to be here (and because I'm a moderator...). Smile

About your hosting, the sky is the limit (no limitations or things which have been removed from your admin panel).

We don't support .asp though, that's one thing you should keep in mind, but as you're going to use php that isn't a problem. Smile

The admin is a very busy man, and the whole frih$ system isn't yet optimised but you'll be able to buy extra stuff in the future. We can't say a date because we don't know. Smile
mOrpheuS
seastatue wrote:
Also, at awardspace.com, they have an area in their CP with php add-ons that they've tested themselves. This includes the phpBB and others. Do you have an area like this? There are other add-ons we would like to use like blogging, guestbook, subscription form, and refer-a-friend.

There's no auto-installer available, if that's what you meant.
You're allowed to install any add-on script as long as it's not illegal/nullified and doesn't breach FRIHost TOS in anyway.

seastatue wrote:
Per the application requirement, I've posted on this thread and on one of the contest threads. I believe I have 5 posts now. If you could look at my posts and let me know if they are acceptible or not, it would be greatly appreciated. If not acceptible, please give me some pointers to improve them. Thanks again!

Please put in an application for hosting.
http://www.frihost.com/forums/account.php

An account creator will get back to you when your turn comes (first come, first serve).
SpellcasterDX
mOrpheuS wrote:
seastatue wrote:
Also, at awardspace.com, they have an area in their CP with php add-ons that they've tested themselves. This includes the phpBB and others. Do you have an area like this? There are other add-ons we would like to use like blogging, guestbook, subscription form, and refer-a-friend.

There's no auto-installer available, if that's what you meant.
You're allowed to install any add-on script as long as it's not illegal/nullified and doesn't breach FRIHost TOS in anyway.

Yes, unfortunetly, Server 2 doesn't come with Auto-installer/Fantastico because Server 2 uses DirectAdmin.
Blaster
But if you ever need any of that installed and you don't know how to you can always go to the marketplace People in there do it for frih$ and they do it very cheep.
Panthrowzay
Because, to my knowlege, the frih$ has yet to have a exchange system, cheap is a understatement in technical terms they are doing it for free. Out of the good will that you will help them increase a number that is publically viewable.
seastatue
James007 wrote:
4 points as a maximum, 1 point as a minimum.

Your points get reset every day to 45. This is because we want to avoid people spamming themselves to 200 points and then not showing up for 200 days. Theoretically its possible to stay away from this forum for 45 days without a problem. But it's much easier if you come once a week and post some replies/new topics. I come here every day, just because it's fun to be here (and because I'm a moderator...). Smile


You are right, James. The forum here is very user-friendly. We are visiting a lot of hosts' boards right now and have liked this one the best. Nice to see sections for non-tech issues.


James007 wrote:
We don't support .asp though, that's one thing you should keep in mind, but as you're going to use php that isn't a problem. Smile


Well, that's good point. Our tech admin loves the MS asp-.net and would like to have it. However, since we already have the phpBB on our current site, we are hoping for a conversion some day by our admin. My understanding is that with new upcoming releases, php will provide an entire alt. framework to the MS environment, so hopefully our admin will find it easy to convert from being an .asp devotee to php.
seastatue
mOrpheuS wrote:

There's no auto-installer available, if that's what you meant.
You're allowed to install any add-on script as long as it's not illegal/nullified and doesn't breach FRIHost TOS in anyway.


An auto-installer would be very nice to have. I've read on your boards about some ftp-plus app called something like "www2ftp". Does that come close to auto-installing your upload?

mOrpheuS wrote:
seastatue wrote:
Per the application requirement, I've posted on this thread and on one of the contest threads. I believe I have 5 posts now. If you could look at my posts and let me know if they are acceptible or not, it would be greatly appreciated. If not acceptible, please give me some pointers to improve them. Thanks again!

Please put in an application for hosting.
http://www.frihost.com/forums/account.php

An account creator will get back to you when your turn comes (first come, first serve).


Thanks, Morpheus! That must mean you've checked out my posts and they meet admin approval. Great.
seastatue
Blaster wrote:
But if you ever need any of that installed and you don't know how to you can always go to the marketplace People in there do it for frih$ and they do it very cheep.


That is really good to know. We have a tech admin coming from an ASP background, so it is great to know others will help out for Frih$, if we need it. We also need artists and designers. I'll check out the market place to see if there are any of these around, too.

Quick coupla questions:

1. If you have someone else install for you, you have to give them access to your account. Is there a way to check out "feedback" from their past work to ensure you aren't turning your site over to a hacker?

2. On these fri$, I have a few of them now. However, there is no "donate" button next to my name like there is for others. I'll visit the Profile area to see if that's a setting option. If not, how do we get the "donate" function turned on?

Thanks again for your help.
SpellcasterDX
seastatue, there's an edit button for a reason. Wink
Please don't quadruple-post - it's worse than double-posting.
www.web2ftp.com is a website, not a script that can be auto-installed.
The Donate button is so you can donate/pay Frih$ to other Frihost members, and you can't exactly donate to yourself, can you? That's why it's not under your name.
seastatue
SpellcasterDX wrote:
mOrpheuS wrote:

You're allowed to install any add-on script as long as it's not illegal/nullified and doesn't breach FRIHost TOS in anyway.

Yes, unfortunetly, Server 2 doesn't come with Auto-installer/Fantastico because Server 2 uses DirectAdmin.


Hey, Spell, I just checked out your site and you guys rock! You are only 12-15 year olds doing this? I expect to see you all to have early college admissions. Great work.

We will be looking for artists to help with our site. Do you accept these frih$?

Thanks for info, also, about the difference in servers. Is it possible to request a future move to a server with Fantastico? No hurry, just if space becomes available?
SpellcasterDX
Unfortunately, no, you can't request a server change. I don't even think it's possible to do that. But you can't change servers. Once you get your hosting account, you'll be put on Server 2 with DirectAdmin.
Also, thanks for the compliment on my site! Smile I still have plenty of work to do on it, however.
I'm only 14, so yeah, I'm pretty young to be creating a website. lol Wink

Oh, just for the record, I'm creating the site all on my own. Except for my forums/boards, someone's helping me code those.
Artist? Hmm. I'll have to think about that one? What do you mean by artist?
Daniel15
Quote:

Nice utlity you have there, Daniel. Thanks for posting it. Can I find it somewhere around here to add to our site?

Sure, you can get it by signing up at http://www.uppanel.com/ . They check your site every 15 minutes, and if it's inaccessible, you'll get a warning via email.

Quote:

That's interesting! Where is the US are the servers

I believe the servers are located in the Savvis datacentre in Dallas, Texas.

Quote:
and are there admins right there for hardware issues?

As I mentioned above, the servers are in the Savvis datacentre. If there's every any problems (there has been a few minor ones in the past), we inform Savvis about it, and their technicians look at it Wink
seastatue
SpellcasterDX wrote:
seastatue, there's an edit button for a reason. Wink
Please don't quadruple-post - it's worse than double-posting.


You may be a great, young artist, Spell, but you obviously need some work on READING COMPREHENSION before taking the PSAT! Look again:

THOSE ARE NOT DUPLICATE POSTS. THOSE ARE DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT POSTS TO DIFFERENT PEOPLE.

YOU NEED TO APOLOGIZE.



SpellcasterDX wrote:

The Donate button is so you can donate/pay Frih$ to other Frihost members, and you can't exactly donate to yourself, can you? That's why it's not under your name.


While I certainly can't donate to myself, you are missing several other things that could be available if I clicked my own "Donate" link. For instance, it could well show me a history of my donations, to whom I have donated, how much, and when, as well as showing me gifts and prizes from others.

My suggestion for someone as gifted as you are is to spend more time double-checking and double-thinking before you rush to erroneous judgment as you have on both of the above points AND ditch the sarcastic, judgmental tone. (The attitude makes you look even more ridiculous when you are wrong.)

Would appreciate an apology for the above insults. Thanks.

seastatue
daniel15 wrote:


Sure, you can get it by signing up at http://www.uppanel.com/ . They check your site every 15 minutes, and if it's inaccessible, you'll get a warning via email.


Sounds great! I'm off to there now. Looking for as detailed of stats as possible for this. Since you are on Server #1, any objections to me starting a thread to poll members on noticeable downtime for Server #2?

Quote:

I believe the servers are located in the Savvis datacentre in Dallas, Texas. If there's every any problems (there has been a few minor ones in the past), we inform Savvis about it, and their technicians look at it Wink


So Savvis is a datafarm and owns the hardware and Frihosts pays a fee for their use? Just out of curiosity, is there a reason that Server #1 has Fantastico and Server #2 has something else?

Thanks for the quick response, Daniel!
Scorpio
seastatue wrote:
SpellcasterDX wrote:
seastatue, there's an edit button for a reason. Wink
Please don't quadruple-post - it's worse than double-posting.


You may be a great, young artist, Spell, but you obviously need some work on READING COMPREHENSION before taking the PSAT! Look again:

THOSE ARE NOT DUPLICATE POSTS. THOSE ARE DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT POSTS TO DIFFERENT PEOPLE.

YOU NEED TO APOLOGIZE.



SpellcasterDX wrote:

The Donate button is so you can donate/pay Frih$ to other Frihost members, and you can't exactly donate to yourself, can you? That's why it's not under your name.


While I certainly can't donate to myself, you are missing several other things that could be available if I clicked my own "Donate" link. For instance, it could well show me a history of my donations, to whom I have donated, how much, and when, as well as showing me gifts and prizes from others.

My suggestion for someone as gifted as you are is to spend more time double-checking and double-thinking before you rush to erroneous judgment as you have on both of the above points AND ditch the sarcastic, judgmental tone. (The attitude makes you look even more ridiculous when you are wrong.)

Would appreciate an apology for the above insults. Thanks.



FYI, nobody has insulted you above.
I agree he was being sarcastic, but thats about it.

And also, double posting under any circumstances is called violation of rules

If you want to address even 20 different people you should do that in the same post by using something like this

@mathiaus

or @spellcaster

etc

Or you can quote a piece of text and then reply to it in one post, so that people will know whom you are replying to

Creating 3 separate posts is not the way to do it.
Quote:

For instance, it could well show me a history of my donations, to whom I have donated, how much, and when, as well as showing me gifts and prizes from others.


These records are maintained by the admin and are dynamically updated .
So you can contact them in case of disputes
Also, gifts are donations too, they dont have a separate category, so all of them are in the same donation logs

Quote:
You may be a great, young artist, Spell, but you obviously need some work on READING COMPREHENSION before taking the PSAT!


This too comes in the same league as "sarcasm" as you put it

Quote:
YOU NEED TO APOLOGIZE.


I dont comprehend why you get all fired up for nothing.
The only error made by spellcaster is backseat moderating, and the mods will look after that

Since, you by double posting have violated rules, you should have been the first to tender an apology for unknowingly violating rules
seastatue
scorpion wrote:

I dont comprehend why you get all fired up for nothing.
The only error made by spellcaster is backseat moderating, and the mods will look after that


First, I'm not getting "fired up". Hehe. Secondly, as you say, the mods will look after this. Are you a mod?

I am a guest here and haven't been treated like this at other webhosts I've visted. Moreover, what you call "double posting" is not the typical definition of it. Is there a FAQ for Guests here in the Guest section that covers this? Since I'm doing extensive quoting to respondants here, it make sense to me, as a guest, to keep them segregated so I and my respondants can most easily follow the discussion and see what questions have been answered as well as those not answered.

Thanks for your input.
Scorpio
seastatue wrote:


First, I'm not getting "fired up".


yes you are looking at your previous post, it is quite evident
Quote:

Hehe. Secondly, as you say, the mods will look after this. Are you a mod?


Funny isnt it?

I mentioned that the mods will look into the instance of the backseat moderating, not your unnecessary bawling at spellcaster and demand for an apology

Isnt it obvious that I am not a mod, or you would have received a warning from me for violating rules
Rolling Eyes

And me not being a mod, does not deprive me of rights to point out mistakes in your posting
mathiaus
scorpio wrote:
I mentioned that the mods will look into the instance of the backseat moderating, not your unnecessary bawling at spellcaster and demand for an apology

That is untrue. You are warned for backseat moderating and if someone else in a topic has been rude or broken rules they are warned too. Just because you are not made aware of it doesn't mean it doesn't happen!



seastatue wrote:
SpellcasterDX wrote:
seastatue, there's an edit button for a reason. Wink
Please don't quadruple-post - it's worse than double-posting.


You may be a great, young artist, Spell, but you obviously need some work on READING COMPREHENSION before taking the PSAT! Look again:

THOSE ARE NOT DUPLICATE POSTS. THOSE ARE DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT POSTS TO DIFFERENT PEOPLE.

YOU NEED TO APOLOGIZE.

SpellcasterDX never mentioned duplicate posts. Duplicate relates to two or more posts which are either the same or very similar. Double posting is posting twice for no reason. Double posting does not make it clearer who you are respong to. In future please do not double post. If you wish to address sevral people please read Scorpio's suggestion.



seastatue wrote:
I am a guest here and haven't been treated like this at other webhosts I've visted.

It started with SpellcasterDX making a suggestion (which you've asked for [though admittedly not from a member]). I feel that it was you that blew the whole thing out of proprtion and took the topic, off-topic. I also feel that SpellcasterDX was sacastic but not in a horrible, mean or insulting way at all. There was no need for the capitals or the bold, and no need for an apology.
seastatue wrote:
(The attitude makes you look even more ridiculous when you are wrong.)

She was in fact right about the posting (maybe wrong about posting the fact).



seastatue wrote:
Moreover, what you call "double posting" is not the typical definition of it. Is there a FAQ for Guests here in the Guest section that covers this?

A typical definition of 'double posting' isn't posting twice Eh? . If you have an issue with definitions of 'double posting', I'd check the other forums you've been to. If we had meant specificly just duplicate posting, we would have said so.



Please stay on-topic from here on in. If you have a problem with what someone has posted, PM them about it and if you can't resolve the problem, PM a mod.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


seastatue wrote:
Just out of curiosity, is there a reason that Server #1 has Fantastico and Server #2 has something else?

Server 1 uses CPanel and server 2, Direct Admin. Fantastico does not work with Direct Admin.
Daniel15
Quote:
So Savvis is a datafarm and owns the hardware and Frihosts pays a fee for their use?

Yep, that's exactly it. It's not really easy for someone to host their own server at their house or similar, as the bandwidth would be way too expensive (servers need very fast connections). So instead, most people host their servers at a datacenter (or 'datafarm' as you called it). This means that the owner of the server pays the datacentre for the hardware and bandwidth, and they manage the server (this is known as a 'Dedicated Server').

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, is there a reason that Server #1 has Fantastico and Server #2 has something else?

Like mathiaus said, we are using DirectAdmin on server 2 (which I think is quite a lot better than cPanel). Unfortunately, Fantastico does not work with DirectAdmin (it only works with cPanel, like we have on server 2).
seastatue
daniel15 wrote:

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, is there a reason that Server #1 has Fantastico and Server #2 has something else?

We are using DirectAdmin on server 2 (which I think is quite a lot better than cPanel). Unfortunately, Fantastico does not work with DirectAdmin (it only works with cPanel, like we have on server 2).


Thanks again, Daniel, for the quick reply.

Will you be phasing out the cPanel or paying for licensing for both it and DirectAdmin for future use?

Also, I see there is some sort of problem with Apache and memory. Is this just on Server #2, which is where we would be? It appears that up to a minute each hour the server resets to flush memory.

DANIEL, What happens to users on a website or those clicking onto a website at that time? Also, I see several users talking about systematic crashes, i.e., every 15 minutes, etc. Has this just been a problem for, say, the last week or has it been longer?
illegalhost
Hi, i'd like to get a host account here in Frihost but seems like abit disheartened that you guys do not provide free Domain names. Is there any reasons for that? Seems like other free hosts do give free domain names. I love the community here, very active and helping each other out with technical support. Appreciate the reply given. Confused
Scorpio
illegalhost wrote:
Hi, i'd like to get a host account here in Frihost but seems like abit disheartened that you guys do not provide free Domain names. Is there any reasons for that? Seems like other free hosts do give free domain names. I love the community here, very active and helping each other out with technical support. Appreciate the reply given. Confused


Frihost gives you a sub-domain name at something.frih.net

Also, TLDs like .com and .org etc cost up to 10$ a year.
It is impossible for a free webhost to give free domains like that to hundreds of users who already get a free hosting account.

Frihost would be bankrupt and close within a month at that rate.
Blaster
Well you dont' get a free domain but you get a something.frih.net domain. If you want you can always get a free domain name like www.somthing.uni.cc or www.something.tk for free. You have a lot there. You can get a real domain like www.something.com for pretty cheap. some places offer it at like 3 dollars a year.

Edit i found an ad for godaddy saying that they are offering $1.99 domains.
illegalhost
Thanks guys for the replies. Hmm. Seems like one of my posts posted few days ago was deleted. Why is that?

Second question. Let's say i register for a domain name for a year. And then if i get on board FriHost, will my domain for my pages be myregistereddomainname.frihost.com? Or would it be under www.myregistereddomainname.com?

As of now, how many more space/people could you server handle?
mathiaus
I removed 2 of your posts. One was talking and linking to another host which we don't allow and made a a suggestion (in the wrong forum and it had already been suggested sevral times). The second was spam.

Don't buy a domain untill you actually know what you're buying. I suggest you read up a bit on domains but I'll answer your question in the mean time. You can buy a domain such as domainname.tld the tld can be .net .com .org, heck theres loads of them. something.frih.net is a subdomain of the frih.net domain and cannot be brought.

We don't disclose this sort of information. When there is no space left though we dont accept new applications so you may want to join sooner rather than later.

On another point, when you post as a guest your posts are not counted. When you register you will be required to post 5 quality under your newly registered username Smile
Traveller
mathiaus wrote:
Don't buy a domain untill you actually know what you're buying.

In addition, be careful of sites promoting "free" domains. Very few of them are truly free. Many of them place ads (over which you have little or no control) onto any pages that come from your site. Still others (there was a thread about one of these recently) say that they have no "registration fee," but that only means there is no additional cost just for signing up. They still charge an "annual fee," which you must pay every year.
illegalhost
Thanks Mat and Traveller. Contents Noted.

Ok, anyways will get my own domain then. However, after that, all of my pages would be under www.mydomain.com and not mydomain.frihost.com, right?

Mat: Will register later when i get back home. Is this username (illegalhost) taken? Cool
mathiaus
Assuming you brought a .com domain, yes it would.
At my time of writing, that username is not taken Smile
illegalhost
Thanks Mat.

Can i register even though i have not registered for a domain name with internic?
mathiaus
yes, you will request your account under a frih.net subdomain and can then add as many domains you want yourself Smile
Related topics
HTTP AUTH with PHP and mySQL
Hajimemashite! Nice to meet you! ^.^
Buy Domains
why 5 posts?
HALL OF SHAME FOR SPAMMERS&HOSTING INFRINGERS
Fri$$30 for who can find the cheepest register of .com's
Gratis .info domeinnaam!!
What is the difference between a Domain & Sub Domain Nam
ipower.com - Only US$2.95 per domain!
Web Designing & Hosting - Special Pkg. for exporters/imp
Advanced DNS settings
Anyone have any experiences with 1&1 domain registration
my forum site
Web Design India
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Support and Web Hosting -> Guests

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.