FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

RPG maker

reddishblue
Is it any good?
Biter
lol what is rpg maker? Laughing
rip8fan1
I remember an RPG maker that came out about 10 years ago - it was not that good!

Is there a newer one?
zuk4u
There is new version: RPG Maker XP:
http://www.enterbrain.co.jp/tkool/RPG_XP/eng/
it needs a 'little' more better pc than older versions:

Quote:

Minimum System Requirements
Microsoft® Windows® 98/98SE/Me/XP/2000
PC with 800MHz Intel® Pentium® III equivalent or higher processor
At least 128 MB of system RAM
1024x768 or better video resolution in High Color mode
DirectSound-compatible sound card
At least 100 MB of available hard disk space

Recommended System Requirements
Microsoft® Windows® XP
PC with 1.5GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 equivalent or higher processor
At least 256 MB of system RAM
1024x768 or better video resolution in True Color mode
DirectSound-compatible sound card
At least 500 MB of available hard disk space
rpgmaker
rpg maker is a game maker duh what does it sound like j/k but yeah rpg maker xp is way better then rpg maker 2 or 3. and rip8fan1 ur probably thinking about rpg maker 2000,19995 or rpg maker 1. Those all did suck except rpg maker 1 which is just a ps1 form of the computer ones too me only rpg maker xp is way better.
votd
I'm a part of polish community of RPG Maker, but I retreated from creating any serious games. I had many projects and all failed. But I created two fully completed shitty games, but in times when I had dialup (5 years ago, duh)

If you are hardworking and not-giving-up-so-easily then you can do it. You can make your own jRPG. If you are starting with RPG Maker I suggest NOT to even touch the newest (XP) because you need to know Ruby, which knowledge I lack of...
rip8fan1
rpgmaker wrote:
rpg maker is a game maker duh what does it sound like j/k but yeah rpg maker xp is way better then rpg maker 2 or 3. and rip8fan1 ur probably thinking about rpg maker 2000,19995 or rpg maker 1. Those all did suck except rpg maker 1 which is just a ps1 form of the computer ones too me only rpg maker xp is way better.

Thanks. I may give the XP version a try, but don't know when!! I think the editor in NeverWinter Nights for creating your own 'modules' was pretty good, and would like to see something that could stand on its own, that would be close to that quality.
rayx
RPG Maker now support Ruby Scripting so that you can customize and create new features on your game. And this software is not limited to RPG games, you can now create any games like adventure, scrolling, etc. . . because of the new features(RUby script). But it is not free anymore , you should buy a licence for this one if you want to create commercial 2D Games.
Game Fortress
Game Maker by Mark Overmars is way more flexible in my opinion. I looked at RPG maker once and found it very very limited.
Shadow03
I prefer game maker 6.1 over RPG Maker XP, but it is still a great gaming engine. I have all of the PC ones except for the soon to come RPG Maker 3D which is a sequel to RPG Maker XP. That one will have graphics like Final Fantasy 7 and is going to kill game maker. I don't think game maker will ever come out with something better than that! If this RPG Maker 3D has a script editor, it will make game maker crash and burn. It will be the best game making engine ever. Since Ruby is basically the same as c, you can do pretty much ANYTHING with RPG Maker that a computer can dp, however it will be hard to do very complicated things without incountering bugs. In all, the RPG Maker series is up there with the game maker series right now, so I'll give it a 7/10. With a little more features and if they added back the things they took off from 2k3 like a simple input key processing Zelda ABS, I would definately like it better than game maker. However, for some things I'd prefer over game maker, so it has it's good parts and it's bad parts.
billys
rpg maker seems a nice way for someone to enter the game programming world. In my opinion with this program you create easily games and you understand the basic elements of programming.
rayx
RPG Maker 2003 will help beginner programmer to understand some logic of programming like variable, conditional statement like if and else.