FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[Guide] How to set up domains with Directadmin - Godaddy

Hogwarts
Ok, I've decided to write this guide for people looking for information on setting up domains with godaddy, although I am sure you can do this with other domains as well.

Note that Domain means your domain.

1. Purchase the domain and log into your account.
2. Mouse over domains title and click "My Domains"

3. Tick the box next to your selected domain and click on "Set Nameservers"
4. You will have an area like this on the right side of your screen like this:

5. Fill in ns1.frih.net and ns2.frih.net (Or ns1.frihost.net and ns2.frihost.net if you are on server 1).
6. You will get a message that says "Your domain changes have been submitted!"

7. Log into your directadmin account. (YOU.frih.net:2222)
8. Almost there! Click on "Set up a subdomain" on the home page and you will come up to a screen that looks like this:

9. Type Domain (Your domain you are setting up), set how much bandwidth it should have, set the disk space to what you want it to be (Rember, your site cannot be over 250mb) and tick the CGI and PHP boxes.
10. Wait. It takes godaddy sometime to update the server.
11. Finished!

This is my first guide... So it might be a little bad. It's to help all people who don't know how to set up a domain name. Pm me with suggestions or queries. Thanks - Hogwarts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After questions:
Q: What is this screen that comes up when I want to go into directadmin now?
A: It allows you to add subdomains, emails etc for your domain. Select the one you want to. If you select your newly submitted domain, you can set up email adresses and subdomains for it.

Q: Can I access direct admin from my new domain?
A: Sure can. Just goto domain:2222

EDIT: Fixed the typo "Untick php and cgi" and replaced it with "Tick php and cgi"
pacsey
Quote:
Ok, I've decided to write this guide for people looking for information on setting up domains with godaddy, although I am sure you can do this with other domains as well.

it's very kind of you thanks
standready
Great setup list.
I would like to add one note: you can check that your domain is getting directed properly by going to www.dnsreport.com . Enter your domain name. It should list your frihost servers (ns1.frih.net & ns2.frih.net). If it does not after 48 hours from original entry. Go back to your registar (godaddy, etc.) and verify that you have entered the nameservers properly.
garionw
are we able to delete our subdomain after this?
truespeed
Thanks for that "how 2" we been struggling with adding a domain name for a few days
vivaprint
i finally know how to setup the domain

thanks
NjRocket
basically, all you have to do is change the dns servers to the frihost, and it will point to your normal site?
unknown
that is an excellent guide for new people. I wish when i got my first domain i would have had this to look off of. I will reccomend this to people if they ask me how.
nigam
I just want to post my appreciation for your guide. thank you.
The Master DCK
Is it possible to use a domain like the ones you get from Unonic.com?
Animal
The Master DCK wrote:
Is it possible to use a domain like the ones you get from Unonic.com?

As far as I can tell, unonic.com offers a free forwarding domain. To fully "integrate" your domain name as per this tutorial, you would need a domain where you can change DNS settings. One example of a free domain you can do this with is uni.cc.
jylan
I was just looking at your guide and notices that you say to click on "Set up a subdomain." Don't you mean to click on "Domain Setup?" Once I click on "set up a new domain," it takes me to a dialog box exactly the same as the one in your guide.
Otherwise, thanks for the great guide! it really helps!
vynes18
I'm going to buy a domain name for my directory soon.
Thanks for sharing this tutorial with us,
I'm very appreacite it.
vertigoflow
Thanks for the guide.

There is something I'm having a bit of trouble on. I'm not used to directadmin at all.

I've redirected a domain I own with godaddy, what if I want to use it as a second domain instead of using it in place of my subdomain. Like, adding a second site under the new domain?

How do I point the domain to a folder under directadmin other than the main public_html folder?
Animal
vertigoflow wrote:
I've redirected a domain I own with godaddy, what if I want to use it as a second domain instead of using it in place of my subdomain. Like, adding a second site under the new domain?

Simply go to DOMAIN ADMINISTRATION > ADD A DOMAIN and name it whatever your url is.

vertigoflow wrote:
How do I point the domain to a folder under directadmin other than the main public_html folder?

Anything that you want to appear on the web has to be inside public_html or a subfolder of it. If you add a new domain using the steps above, the new domain will have its own public_html folder.
pashmina
how long does it take for the domain name to be active. i have done all the process, so when can i except my new domain name. (i have registered a domain name)
pashmina
Now that my domain name is registered. i am getting this message.
Quote:
Welcome to the home of tetrade.com.np
To change this page, upload your website into the public_html directory

Date Created: Mon Jan 8 03:04:05 2007

How do i resolve this.. Please help
Animal
pashmina wrote:
Quote:

I can't get the site to work at all...

...However, if you get it working, and you set your nameservers to ns1.frih.net and ns2.frih.net, you'll need to add the domain tetrade.com.np as a new domain in DirectAdmin. Once you've done this, delete the index.html file from the new public_html folder then either copy or move the content from your old frih.net subdomain from the *.frih.net/public_html directory to tetrade.com.np/public_html
pashmina
Animal wrote:
pashmina wrote:
Quote:

I can't get the site to work at all...

...However, if you get it working, and you set your nameservers to ns1.frih.net and ns2.frih.net, you'll need to add the domain tetrade.com.np as a new domain in DirectAdmin. Once you've done this, delete the index.html file from the new public_html folder then either copy or move the content from your old frih.net subdomain from the *.frih.net/public_html directory to tetrade.com.np/public_html

Thank you for the help. I somehow managed to move my files to my new domain name.
But i still have one small problem. i.e. when i type http://www.tetrade.com.np/ in the address bar and access it, the address bar changes itself to http://pashmina.frih.net/ so is there any way i can access my site tetrade with the address bar of my new domain name.
note. i have pointed my default domain name to tetrade.com.np
how can i resolve this problem?
Animal
It would appear that you've set the domain up to redirect to http://pashmina.frih.net/ - if you've changed the nameservers correctly as I described above, you'll need to "tell" the domain registrar to use the DNS settings and not redirect.
outofnicks
Quote:
9. Type Domain (Your domain you are setting up), set how much bandwidth it should have, set the disk space to what you want it to be (Rember, your site cannot be over 250mb) and untick the CGI and PHP boxes.

Untick the CGI and PHP? Why?
So with an added domain, there's no CGI and PHP?
m-productions
outofnicks wrote:
Quote:
9. Type Domain (Your domain you are setting up), set how much bandwidth it should have, set the disk space to what you want it to be (Rember, your site cannot be over 250mb) and untick the CGI and PHP boxes.

im sure we still get CGI and PHP but i would also like to know why you uncheck the boxes?
Hogwarts
m-productions wrote:
outofnicks wrote:
Quote:

im sure we still get CGI and PHP but i would also like to know why you uncheck the boxes?

Sorry, only just noticed that Razz

It's fixed now, thanks for correcting me Wink
jsk02a
Great guide! I appreciate all the help you gurus provide to us noobs with these guides. I can whole-heartedly say that frih.net was the best decision I ever made! Smile
Psycho_X52
I have a domain registered at godaddy, transferred to moniker. What do I have to do to make it work with and without 'www' ?

( http://www.generalitati.net -> good version
http://generalitati.net -> bad version)
turbowolf
Thank you very much. It helps me a lot. Before I read it I already spent a lot of time to solve this problem. Anyway finally I can redirect the new domain name to my frih server now. ^_^
bri4n5
I just followed this greta guide and finally i have my own domain up & running. Smile
gwaps
i found it simple and easy instructios to understand. My question is if you registered your Domain at goDaddy and change it to another server, i mean can you chage it for good or just a forward of name servers only and nothing else?
schoolbag
thanks for the tutorial
loonix
many thanks for the tutorial, I found it really helpful to get things setup. Many thanks
Star Wars Fanatic
Noticed a bug that confused me:

Quote:
Almost there! Click on "Set up a subdomain"

It should be:

Quote:
Click on "Domain Setup" then click on "Add Another Domain"
Johnny_Montserrat
thx for the tuto
henne831
I bought a domain on godaddy and that went fine. I tried to set up a hosting account on godaddy.com and found that it was ad supported which I don't want. I'm wondering if and how I need to cancel my hosting on that site so that I can host through frihost... Anybody have any tips for transferring my hosting account from godaddy to this account.
Taras
Thank you for clear instructions. It will save a lot of time for newbies Smile
propeng
Thanks a lot! Wink
amperx
thank you so much for this info, its very helpful :thumbsup:
Xaferrow
Thanx!
mucho gracias!

its usefull enough to make my www.conra.cn running
bigt
I did have a problem or two and this Tutorial helped a great deal. Thank you! Smile

GoDaddy seems to be a pretty good site overall. They should add your documentation to theirs, heh.
amperx
thanks so much for this guide man, glad you posted it to help us Very Happy
medesignz
4 successful transfers last night - Thanks
PureReborn
Thanks for this guide, was looking around the forum on how to do this.

Made the changes to Godaddy just now, waiting for 24hours to see the results.
lovescience
Very Happy
Thanks!

I try this guide on other domain name registrars. It works too!
medesignz
When I first started, I found it quite complex, but now its just a quick fix Very Happy

Hope you find it as easy as I do now Very Happy
taytay
hey! A tutorial! I finally figured it out already though... well, to the point that it seems to be working. I'm going to gladly study this tutorial to ensure I did it right! Thanks for the post!
zimmer
taytay wrote:
hey! A tutorial! I finally figured it out already though... well, to the point that it seems to be working. I'm going to gladly study this tutorial to ensure I did it right! Thanks for the post!

The tutorial is a good information but i think this is very old set up or screen shot interface with goddady.

I just visit my account and major changes are already implemented and now it more friendly user interface.

But thanks to this post , the information is spreed over the world.
EpsomSaltsNI
I'm just about to start my own web business and without much computer literacy, I feel this guide will be worn out by the time I get finished.
Thanks for taking the time to show us newbies a trick or two. I'm sure i'll get it eventually Sad