FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Site redesign





{name here}
I am in the process of redesigning my site with PHP and MySQL. I'd like some comments on the beta of my site design which can be found at this url(going through the home page will bring up a splash to the forums). Any coding or image suggestions I will fully consider.
Eyre
i get a 404 error.
{name here}
Whoops! This one should work. I also updated the previous URL for those just tuning in.
Donutey
Two things:

Make your site a fluid design based on percentages (in css and for tables) so that users with different resolutions wont end up with horizontal scroll bars (like I did @ 1024 x768)

Even though it's hard to accept, IE is still used by the majority of web users (hopefully not for long Rolling Eyes ), and just saying "screw it" because it's hard to get valid pages that support IE and firefox, you can usually make a bargin (with your code) between the two browsers so that the site remains functional between both.

--

I do like the color scheme, especially the images for Main Menu and Affiliates etc. Keep at it, and good luck.
Marston
Considering that you're an operating system advocacy group, I find it strange that this is at the bottom of every one of your pages
Quote:
Notice this site may not appear correctly in Internet Explorer. This is because this page was built around web standards. To view this page right get a real browser.
You see, Internet Explorer is a very important part of the Windows operating system- it's used for much more than surfing the internet.

Ironic, really.

About the design though, it's very basic, and kind of ugly. Red and black have been done so many times that it makes your site look very, very generic. Also, your website stretches the screen, and I'm using 1024x798 (or whatever that resolution is). This is not a good thing. Your logo is very generic aswell. Your affiliate button is of a non-linear size, which isn't very good. Your buttons are probably a bit too big, and they lack an "alt" attribute. I guess that blind people's opinions don't matter? Your red borders are a bit too thick- my attention is attracted to them more than the text.

Hope this helps Wink.
{name here}
Quote:
Make your site a fluid design based on percentages (in css and for tables) so that users with different resolutions wont end up with horizontal scroll bars (like I did @ 1024 x768)

The reason I didn't is because I had problems with the images aligning just right. I'll see what I can do about that.
Quote:
Even though it's hard to accept, IE is still used by the majority of web users (hopefully not for long ), and just saying "screw it" because it's hard to get valid pages that support IE and firefox, you can usually make a bargin (with your code) between the two browsers so that the site remains functional between both.

Well, it's better than my previous idea, which was to see if it detected IE and then display a large 24-bit bitmap with large amounts of noise to scare off the IE users from the page. I decided just to put the notice instead, though it tested to work decently in IE 6, though the menu was a bit close to the content.
Quote:
You see, Internet Explorer is a very important part of the Windows operating system- it's used for much more than surfing the internet.

Ironic, really.

Not for long, really. Microsoft is detatching it in Vista, so it won't be the integral part it was before.
Quote:
Red and black have been done so many times that it makes your site look very, very generic.

I can always revert to the old gray scheme, but I'd think that'd be much more bland.
Quote:
Also, your website stretches the screen, and I'm using 1024x798 (or whatever that resolution is).

See above.
Quote:
Your affiliate button is of a non-linear size, which isn't very good.

What does that mean? I'm not familiar with the term...
Quote:
Your buttons are probably a bit too big, and they lack an "alt" attribute. I guess that blind people's opinions don't matter?

I realized I screwed up when I made the menu div that size. Good thing I can easily fix those with the original FW pngs.
I put alts in. Here's a direct cut and paste from the code:
Code:
 <th scope="row"><a href="index.php?page=archives"><img src="archives.jpg" [b]alt="Archives"[/b] width="216" height="25" border="0" /></a></th>

Quote:
Your red borders are a bit too thick- my attention is attracted to them more than the text.

I'll change them to pixel
sprinqles
They've said everything but I would like to emphasize on changing the site's color scheme. It will help if you add graphics and a better color scheme, a dual color scheme doesn't really visually help for visitors to stay on your site because it seems boring. At first glance, I thought it was a gaming site based on the color scheme and the layout.
Marston
{name here} wrote:
Not for long, really. Microsoft is detatching it in Vista, so it won't be the integral part it was before.
One or more years is pretty long. Especially for a website.
{name here}
sprinqles wrote:
They've said everything but I would like to emphasize on changing the site's color scheme. It will help if you add graphics and a better color scheme, a dual color scheme doesn't really visually help for visitors to stay on your site because it seems boring. At first glance, I thought it was a gaming site based on the color scheme and the layout.

I had only one graphic on my other templates - the logo. Compared to that this is a complete overhaul in adding graphics. I don't like fancy graphics and it shows on many of my sites, and the old themes will be available once I have moved it to PHP code.
Quote:
One or more years is pretty long. Especially for a website.

Yes, it is. But IE is only integral if you want it to be. You can remove the thing with XPlite with no real side effects.

I'm opening it up once I copy the PHP code and add a forum button to the newer theme. I'll be fixing the buttons later.
Marston
{name here} wrote:
Yes, it is. But IE is only integral if you want it to be. You can remove the thing with XPlite with no real side effects.
No, you can't remove Internet Explorer- if you did, you wouldn't be able to view your files, or get Microsoft Updates... As far as I know, it's impossible to remove IE.
{name here}
Marston wrote:
{name here} wrote:
Yes, it is. But IE is only integral if you want it to be. You can remove the thing with XPlite with no real side effects.
No, you can't remove Internet Explorer- if you did, you wouldn't be able to view your files, or get Microsoft Updates... As far as I know, it's impossible to remove IE.

You can view your files and everything without IE. XPlite allows you to do so. I believe it replaces IE with a lightweight file manager like the one from 95 - simple and effective. It also tweaks system performance. The downside is it violates Microsoft's EULA, but that's the only downside.
Marston
You also can't get Microsoft updates.

So, despite the fact that you own a so-called "OS Advocacy" website, you descriminate against newbie/lazy Windows users?

Why is that?

(Really, I'm just giving you a hard time. You don't have to answer my question. Just trying to prove a point.)
{name here}
If you're a newbie to Windows, you probably wouldn't even be on the site because you wouldn't really know what you're talking about, and if it gets popular, you'd probably be chewed out by other members.

Anyways, the purpose of the message was not to rid IE, but to tell them that there are many better browsers out there you can use in the transition time between IE 6 and IE 7, since the IE 6 really lacks any desirable features except very basic web browsing.
Trident(what powers IE under the hood) is a horrible HTML engine, and if I really wanted to be mean I could convert the thing to true xhtml(application/xml) and nobody using IE 6 could access it because it doesn't support XHTML parsing.

I should have specified IE 6, since IE 7 should fix many of those lacking features.
Marston
Although I agree with you that IE sucks, you should at least be nice to your users about it, and provide links to download better browsers.
uslhoops
I saw the site and the designs are good the borders etc... I really want to learn PHP.
{name here}
Marston wrote:
Although I agree with you that IE sucks, you should at least be nice to your users about it, and provide links to download better browsers.

So, should I add a div like this guy did to his site with links to other browsers if PHP detects IE?
Marston
Yeah. That's what I did with my site.
vln004
well, there isn't much to look at, but looking at the forum, ummm... it needs more color, more contrast.
Related topics
My site forums
Need critique before site redesign
AJAX?
Testing a redesign...
New design required for my site
redesign site and earn 160 FRIH$ please
Redesign my site and get all my Frih$
Additional link on a certain page (convienience only)
FRINK Music.com site redesign
Site redesign :Feedback Please:
Major tune up wanted
fnfdhgjfhn
Site redesign and/or logo change $$
A simple CSS question - Please help
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Webmaster and Internet -> Design Tips

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.