FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

drive-up ATMS aka Cashpoints (for those in europe)

sharp
Going to a bank and its closed so naturally go to the ATM (Automated Teller Machine) to get cash out. Millions of people use it daily all over the world, but when going to one I noticed a plug in bit for headphones accompanied with a button. As I sat and wondered what on earth it could possibly be used for, Someone said its for blind people who cant see the screen... well I thought, and thought...also noticed brail on the keypads and other buttons...

Is it me? I mean its a DRIVE THRU atm... what the heck is a blind person doing behind the wheel of a car?!?!?!?!?!
kazikame
I've never heard of a drive-through ATM. Maybe someone might be driving a blind passenger who needs the cash machine?
HoboPelican
Or maybe it makes more sense for a manufacturer to make only one model for walkups and drive throughs? Rolling Eyes
sharp
kaz what country are you in...usa and loads of countries in europe have them...
passenger? then why would we need the atm on the drivers side with brail?

hobo... did you not read about the headphone jack which was an add-on... buttons I could somewhat understand but not the point!
HoboPelican
sharp wrote:

hobo... did you not read about the headphone jack which was an add-on... buttons I could somewhat understand but not the point!

Yep, read it. I dont understand your point. The walk ups are starting to have those also. All Im saying is that making one model for both applicaitons is a standard cost-savings idea. Adding the sound prompts gives them the feedback needed to work with the ATM.

Or did I misunderstand what you mean by add-on?
kazikame
sharp wrote:

I'm in Britain. Maybe the blind person's on the driver's side in the back of the car..?

Yeah. It's pointless. Smile
sharp
oh ffs, so you will tell me that the blind people (if going to a cashpoint) needs to be in the backseat?

and as for the headphones... its an ADD-ON! as in aftermarket... aka non-OEM!

I have seen it on 3 now... so its not like a one of a kind. and ATMS this size... (its the ones with the room behind it- but with another 2 lanes for cars behind that)

ty kaz
HoboPelican
[quote="sharp"
and as for the headphones... its an ADD-ON! as in aftermarket... aka non-OEM!

I have seen it on 3 now... so its not like a one of a kind. and ATMS this size... (its the ones with the room behind it- but with another 2 lanes for cars behind that)

ty kaz[/quote]

Never saw one as an add-on. An addon would be quite an endeavour, I think. Linking voices with the software in the existing ATM wouldnt be a trivial task. Until I saw something to convince me, Id still go with it being an option, not an aftermarket add-on.

Even if it was, it still makes sense for the banks to keep terminals as similar as possible.
TeenZine
I've seen a Vending machine in Organ that took credit cards now thats amazing. This long gone we had a drive through atms here before i was born and they did have the blind plugin old news much.
OutlawSpirit
never heard of a drive thru im in the UK... sounds kinda strange Cool
Lied
Its ok to take measures about the blind whenever we can, but i do not think that everything sould orient around a minority.I mean dropig a project that could be helpful to the majority over some problems.

But my fear is that those point may become rob-point and get robed as soon as you stop.That way a rober can have the maximum profit. Sad
CyanEyed
ONLY IN AMERICA

www.haveagoodlaugh.com wrote:

1. Only in America ......can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance.

2. Only in America ......are there handicap parking places in front of a skating rink.

3. Only in America ......do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.

4. Only in America ......do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries, and a diet coke.

5. Only in America ......do banks leave both doors open and then chain the pens to the counters.

6. Only in America ......do we leave cars worth thousands of dollars in the driveway and put our useless junk in the garage.

7. Only in America ......do we use answering machines to screen calls and then have call waiting so we won't miss a call from someone we didn't want to talk to in the first place.

8. Only in America ......do we buy hot dogs in packages of ten and buns in packages of eight.

9. Only in America ......do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

10. Only in America ......do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering.

Only in America
1. WILL THE REAL DUMMY PLEASE STAND UP?
AT&T fired President John Walter after nine months, saying he lacked intellectual leadership. He received a $26 million severance package. Perhaps it's not Walter who's lacking intelligence.

2. WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM OUR FRIENDS
Police in Oakland, California spent two hours attempting to subdue a gunman who had barricaded himself inside his home. After firing ten tear gas canisters, officers discovered that the man was standing beside them in the police line, shouting, "Please come out and give yourself up."

3. WHAT WAS PLAN B?
An Illinois man, pretending to have a gun, kidnapped a motorist and forced him to drive to two different automated teller machines, wherein the kidnapper proceeded to withdraw money from his own bank accounts.

4. THE GETAWAY!
A man walked into a Topeka, Kansas Kwik Stop, and asked for all the money in the cash drawer. Apparently, the take was too small, so he tied up the store clerk and worked the counter himself for three hours until police showed up and grabbed him.

5. DID I SAY THAT?
Police in Los Angeles had good luck with a robbery suspect who just couldn't control himself during a lineup. When detectives asked each man in the lineup to repeat the words: "Give me all your money or I'll shoot," the man shouted, "That's not what I said!"

6. ARE WE COMMUNICATING?
A man spoke frantically into the phone, "My wife is pregnant and her contractions are only two minutes apart!" "Is this her first child?" the doctor asked. "No!" the man shouted, "This is her husband!"

7. NOT THE SHARPEST TOOL IN THE SHED!
In Modesto, California, Steven Richard King was arrested for trying to hold up a Bank of America branch without a weapon. King used a thumb and a finger to simulate a gun, but unfortunately, he failed to keep his hand in his pocket. (hellllllooooooo!)

8. THE GRAND FINALE (I LOVE THIS ONE!!!)
Last summer, down on Lake Isabella, located in the high desert, an hour east of Bakersfield, California, some folks, new to boating, were having a problem. No matter how hard they tried, they couldn't get their brand new 22 ft. boat going. It was very sluggish in almost every maneuver, no matter how much power was applied. After about an hour of trying to make it go, they putted to a nearby marina, thinking someone there could tell them what was wrong. A thorough topside check revealed everything in perfect working condition. The engine ran fine, the out-drive went up and down, and the prop was the correct size and pitch. So, one of the marina guys jumped in the water to check underneath. He came up choking on water, he was laughing so hard.......

NOW REMEMBER...THIS IS TRUE.........................

Under the boat, Still Strapped securely in place, was the trailer.

The Americans Cannot Be Beaten When It Comes Doing Stuff Like That
Jack_Hammer
How lazy would you have to be?

...and it's Europe, please give Europeans respect.
sharp
heres yet another about the blind. where I work is a non-profit organization, wont get into what we do but we provide many services for the public, we hold FREE seminars....

We cater to all walks of life, but for our next upcoming seminar theres a woman who infact is blind and needs 2 interpreters... well not too bad, but... WE have to pay for the 2 of them (asked if we could only use one, answer was no because they get tired so every 20 minutes they switch off, tho I pay for both of them the full time, plus travel). What bugs me is there isnt insurance to cover this...I think the 'student' should have to pay considering we are non-profit...hold the classes for FREE and yet I have to pay for interpretaion.... is this right?
R2.DETARD
I live in europe and have never seen a minijack on an ATM. I get into Australia 2 weeks ago and it seems every ATM has one. Does anyone actually know what happens when you stick your headphones in it? I would do it myself, but my headphones are always out of easy reach.

As far as the drive thru, only in America. the add-on is probobly put on all ATMs at that branch, drive-thru or not.
jabapyth
OutlawSpirit wrote:
never heard of a drive thru im in the UK... sounds kinda strange Cool

ya. ive never seen any in the us, either.
sharp
definately a weird thing, but I think I will carry my ipod with me from now on and test it out... now that its mentioned I am also quite curious as to what wil lbe heard.

Probably hear something along the lines of:

"Welcome to [NAME] bank... we would like to inform you that your account has been depleted... as a matter of fact you OWE us money you bastard!"

Well that is if I did even have a bank account, dont believe in them... I leave all the banking to my g/f!
sibbahz
My local cashpoint/ATM in England has a headphone socket on it.
Im assuming its for blind people like several other people have said, but yes, is silly having one on a drive through one. Most likely a standard model of cashpoint though.
Blaster
CyanEyed most of what was said there is not true. The last one especially. You can't look at america and put a tag on everyone becuase of what some stupid did. Just like you can't put a tag on someone becuase of what one of her friends did.

As for the atm that is weird. I don't know who would really think of such thing. It is weird non the least though. I don't really go to banks that often where i am at so i couldn't tell you if we have them or don't.
sharp
What if we said all brits are the same, and classify them all with Blair, hahahahaha!

Enough Said!