FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Workout advice from some of you muscleheads

qbawler311
OK currently I am 17 6'0 160 pounds. I would like to gain 10-20 pounds of muscle, purely for aesthetic purposes I dont want to become a lifter. I am in good cardiovascular shape so I don't need advice on that. I have some muscle not much, ex. 3x12 reps of leg press at 280 1x12 reps of bench at 110 etc. I'm not a complete wimp.

So far I have been heading to the Y twice a week and just going through all the nautilus machines they have there, usually doing 1 set of 12 reps unless I'm feeling up for more. Occasionally on an off day I'll do a 3xsets of 30 pushups 50 situps. Is this a good way to build muscle or should I look into more freeweights etc.?
coolclay
Thats a good start, I think what you eat, and drink has about an equal affect on muscle building however. A good balanced diet, including lots of protein, and grains, drinking lots of water, like enough water that you pee 5-10 times a day (note: I said water not anything else), and laying off the sugary products. I also don't believe in any of the stupid chemicals, and drinks and shakes and crap that some guys waste money on. If I can't get muscle naturally then I guess I don't deserve them, thats my beliefs, its like cheating.

Also free weights are good, I personally use 40 lb dumbells for arm curls and other arm exercises. I do sit ups with a 75 lb weight held on my chest (usually about 50) and 3 reps. I benchpress sometimes but not much, I personally don't think it does much.

I am about the same body type and build that you are, I am 21 yrs old, 6'0 and around 175. I wrestled for 8 years, so I am in shape (even though I have been slacking lately).

Good luck and keep us updated on your success.
qbawler311
Thanks, what type of foods do you eat during the day to increase your mass?
coolclay
Lots of fish + other seafood (especially salmon + shellfish), whole grains, nuts, legumes (beans), and eggs. As for veggies, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, and cabbage. Eating this type of diet, while avoiding things with high sugar content, and high fat content, will help you to gain muscle mass, but not fat mass.
alkady
Like the post previous post, Eat. I recommend Carbs + Iron. You need alot of energy to get where your going. A well balanced diet and long term hard work is key. Just dont go the easy way and get those InfoTv Products like the Ab King Pro, Or the Ab Maker ect. They dont work, Its just a gimmick to milk some cash off you. You really think by being lazy and having their devices will actually build abs?????
bdoneck
You need to eat lots of protien it will help build the muscle back that is torn when you lift.

Also, if you're able to do 12 reps in 3 sets, it means you need to raise the weight, you should be trying to get to a weight that you can struggle to get 6-8 reps in 3 sets, by struggle, I mean you really need to be on your last bit of strength by the last rep, when you feel you can easily get 6-8 reps in 3 sets, Increase the weight.

I usually like to start with a weight where I can fairly easily get 8 reps in on my first set, then raise the weight by 5-10 lbs every set.
mathiaus
-moved-
sbel
bdoneck wrote:
You need to eat lots of protien it will help build the muscle back that is torn when you lift.

Also, if you're able to do 12 reps in 3 sets, it means you need to raise the weight, you should be trying to get to a weight that you can struggle to get 6-8 reps in 3 sets, by struggle, I mean you really need to be on your last bit of strength by the last rep, when you feel you can easily get 6-8 reps in 3 sets, Increase the weight.

bdoneck is very right.

I've been doing gym for a year now. I'm taking it seriously, coz it's the only exercise i could get. I used to weigh 62kg in Jan05 and now i'm 85kg. Though my weight increase is weight isn't all lean muscle. I'm still pumping before i start to shave of the fat. At least, that's what my trainer adviced me.

When you work out, do 3 to 4 sets ... The reps have to be in this combination 15,12,10,8 or 12,10,8,6 or just 12,10,8 if your only doing 3 sets. Though the reps get lesser, you need to add the weights so that by the last set... you're struggling.

keep in mind that all these lifting have to be focused on the body part your training. Bench presses train your chest, so focus it there. If you feel the strain in your triceps more, your doing it wrong.

Lastly, the food you take has to be of high protein. This increases the mass. Carbs will give you energy to do all these.
jds10912
protien supplements and things of that nature are useless
a single can of tuna can give you many times more protien and is much more affordable
haris3
If you are doing three sets of 12 of any thing it's too much. You need to definetley increase the weight. Do like maybe 2 sets of 6 with more weight.

The more you lift, the more your muscles get trained and stretch.
benjmd
For what it's worth, I'm a medical student and these are the "rules" I found that are generally useful to follow and have some degree of scientific 'correctness':

1) Americans get so much protein in their diet that they usually have plenty to build muscle. You don't need to increase your protein intake all that much unless you're a vegetarian.

2) Estimates on the calories in a pound of muscle vary, but in general you can't run a high calorie deficit and expect to put on a lot of muscle quickly, nor can you eat a ton and expect it to all go to muscle just because you are lifting. If you have a body fat % > 15%, you'd be best served by balancing calories in vs. calories out. If you have a body fat % < 15%, you might find that you need to add an extra 100-200 calories a day (an apple plus a slice of cheese) over what you burn to see any sort of "quick" build. That being said, the body only builds muscle so fast. You shouldn't expect to gain more than 1/2 pound of muscle per week without using illegal substances.

3) There are two types of strength training: toning and building. Generally, toning is accomplished by 1-2 sets of 12-25 repetitions of an exercise. Building is accomplished by 2-4 sets of 6-12 repetitions. When building, you should aim to be lifting around 70-75% of your maximum. If the most you can bench is 150, you should exercise with about 110 pounds of weight. Once you have reached the maximum repetitions per set through all of your sets (i use "10" for some exercises, "12" for others), then it is appropriate to go up to the next weight, maybe 10 lbs or 5-10% more.

Key point #1: After three sets, but especially after four, the amount of "gain" you get for additional sets falls off quickly.

Key point #2: Some studies have shown that maximal strength improvement occurs with a resting duration of 60 seconds (vs. 30 and 90 seconds) between consecutive sets of a particular exercise.

Key point #3: Stretching, which actually fatigues muscles, reduces time-to-fatigue during weight-lifting by ~14% in experimental models (14% = 1 or 2 repetitions per set!). ALWAYS WARM UP, but you can save the stretching for the cool-down part of your workout.
gh0stface
jds10912 wrote:
protien supplements and things of that nature are useless
a single can of tuna can give you many times more protien and is much more affordable

The difference between a protein supplement and a can of tuna is vast. Protein shakes are more readily absorbed then a can of tuna. In tuna, your body is going to has to break it down before it can be absorbed in to your body.
Muffi
i started to schedule my food diet long time back at your age, and now when i am 21.. no way that i cant say i am not having a good shape or a muscular body, but everytime i take off my shirt, i think i need more, but the fact is that super-sets help pumping your muscles & then fit them in the right place, alot of water is all i use when excersicing, i eat banana & boiled potatoes as much as i can..

one should understand his body structure and type first, if u think u can describe it here, lemme know
Rico
Free weights good. Machines not so good.
haris3
Last year all i did was machine workout and i think i gained the most musle with the machine and with free weights in the past. Machine kinda help you lift, in a good way. But free weights are good too, especially for arm curls.

Both are good, but i would use machine over free weights.

Rico wrote:
Free weights good. Machines not so good.