FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

.DS_Store files in empty ftp folders

Citizen Kane
Can anyone tell me why there are files called ".DS_Store" placed in empty folders on the ftp space provided?

If I have "Show hidden files" deselected in Filezilla the ftp server wont allow me to remove any empty folders. It gives the error message: /.../.../: Directory not empty.

Only after selecting "Show hidden files" I found the .DS_Store files and can I delete the empty folders.

Why is this?
wumingsden
Quote:
Under Macintosh OSX .DS_Store holds the information which controls the way a folder will be opened; i.e., the shape and size of the window, the position of the window on the desktop and whether file, folder or icon view has been selected. If you were to delete the .DS_Store the folder would revert to the system default next time it is opened and a new blank .DS_Store would appear (invisibly).

www.filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=DS_STORE

Sounds like that is relevent.

Edit: A better link: www.rixstep.com/1/20030521,00.shtml
Citizen Kane
Nice going, but this is all about Mac OSX (pretty crappy OS if you ask me) and not about FTP.

Could it be that the FTP server is controled by a mac? (don't hope so)
Bondings
No, it's Linux/CentOS. If you are using MacOS, then you most likely copied those files together with the directory.
Citizen Kane
I run Windows XP SP2. No way I could've coppied those files myself on the server... could be that they where in the folders all along without me knowing.

The folders I uploaded contained templates for Wordpress. I suspect that they where put together by a Mac user. That's how the DS_Store-files probably ended up in the folders. And because they're hidden files, I didn't see them.

Problem sorted. Bondings, you can close the thread. Wink
mathiaus
solved so closing but requested as well
-close-