FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Superman Returns & The Late Christopher Reeves

marco2379
I haven't seen Superman returns yet but it looks like it might be a winner. But being of the generation that grew up with Christopher Reeves as Superman, he has come to be face I expect to see. Nothing against the new Superman, but I'll always think of Superman and Chris Reeves as one and the same. I guess a new generation of kids will have their own face of Superman. Good move on the producers to keep the name recognition of the most classic of superhero's fresh in the minds of the X-Men, Fantastic 4, Incredibles, Batman Begins generation.
CWFwrestling
I still wish they went with the kid from Smallville. Or even a slightly older actor such as Cristian Slater. I haven't seen the film and thus don't know the storyline, but if "Superman Returns" shouldn't he look older than 20?
picsite
I just saw the movie yesterday and was a bit disappointed...I won't put out and spoilers but I also agree that he looks way to young. The guy from smallville would have done a good job because he already plays the same part..
magneto_ms
I was very much disappointed with Superman returns. Saw the movie when on show 1 day 1. I certainly expected more. Not too much special effects to savour too..Sad
alkady
It's a great movie, I didnt grow up with the Reeve's as Superman Generation, But I still remember him as the first superman because the old Supermans where one of the early films I saw. Also the effects where great, Especially when they digitally recreated Marlon Brando.
Marie
I really enjoyed Superman Returns. I agree he was a little young, but hell he's an alien so he doesn't age like us. He played the part well. I grew up with Christopher Reeve too but I'm not stuck on one actor playing the same part forever, otherwise there'd be no more Superman films.
rein
Has anyone else read that Ben affleck is gonna star in Hollywoodland .. a movie about the suspiscious death of a superman actor called George Reeves?
Couldn't they have picked an other name? i'm surprised Christopher Reeves' family hasn't sued anyone yet.
jipmerite
Now that you all mention it, I too think th guys looked too young to be Superman. He should have looked more mature. But I do appreciate the resemblance between him and Reeves, especially when he is in the form of Clark Kent. I found them to have very similar looks.

I am not a fan of smallville and have not seen a single episode fully but I have seen short parts and I don't think he looked any better than the current actor. But maybe he has grown older since that time...
angelussum
This wasn't a very good movie in my opinion.

I agree with what the people have said here, Tom Welling would have done a better job with the role, though I think he might be a bit young for the part as well. Brandon Routh does ressemble a bit Reeves, but his portray did little for me. The movie was slow - none of the characters particularly interesting. The plot was dry. I did enjoy Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor though.
jipmerite
All these Superhero movies are still trying to match the success of the Spiderman movies. I think they were excellent. Superman was not made as well as that. I have not seen it but my friends tell me that X-men 3 was not very good. Batman Begins was good.

Waiting for the next parts in these series.
carolinehjkim
I just saw the movie yesterday and it was fantastic.
This is the first time I've ever experienced any kinds of superman so I don't know very well of Christopher Reeves' version yet.
But my parents who had seen it told me that the new superman looks close to Reeves. The new one just looks the same with less dignity...
jipmerite
WHat do you mean less dignity? I don't remember any undignified scenes in this Superman movie. And the superman costume was exactly same as before...

Can you explain what you are referring to...
frozenhead
I was amazed how the movie was made. 3D CGI Technology is awesome but in the content and the storyline of the movie, there's nothing more new to it. I mean, here's the classic Luthor - Kent rivaly and Clark's undying love with Louise and vise versa. I think to only highlight is the suspected son of Clark to Louise. There's a scene when the kid suddenly throw the piano right on the face of one of Luthor's apprentices so maybe as a viewer, I can assume maybe before Kent left for Krypton, Louise was pregnant with their son.

I think there's nothing special in the story lin, except that it's good because it's computer generated movie.
Sappho
jipmerite wrote:
All these Superhero movies are still trying to match the success of the Spiderman movies. I think they were excellent. Superman was not made as well as that. I have not seen it but my friends tell me that X-men 3 was not very good. Batman Begins was good.

Waiting for the next parts in these series.

Hehe and do you actually know that there was a poll not that long ago on some major comix website (cant remember the name now) on topic:

"Which movie was the best adaptation of comix?"

And the most voted movie was The Crow Smile

Anyway the new Superman wasn't all that great, yep some neat CGs but overall it was lacking something, yet cant say what. It wasnt bad either, it just wasnt it. Batman Begins was by my subjective opinion the best comix adaptation so far, if i am not counting Asian cinema and anime Smile
Jayfarer
Wait, you say Brandon Routh is too young but you wanted the kid from SMALLVILLE? The guy is only two years older than Routh.

The thing with Routh is, he nailed Christopher Reeves' interpetation of the role. He almost looks like him in some scenes as Clark Kent. He does a pretty good job overall.

The movie was amazing, by the way.
triggerhappy
have not seen superman returns yet but can't wait i saw same trailers pretty cool i just can't wait to see a well done movie but i do not know who is the dirictor i can't seem to put my finger on it but i bet it was a good dirictor that has already done good movies everywhere Very Happy
Nigeria
george reeves was the VERY first superman when it was in black and white not chris. im not too big of a superman fan but i do enjoy watching "smallville" i think ill get the new movie when it's out on dvd.the new superman kinda looks a little like chris in his superman days.
sbel
look they can't pick Tom Welling from Smallville coz he's more of the series type. That would mean, he would look SO bad kissing the Kate Bosworth LL and even more...he'd look pathetic in the tights.

But i was watching the BIG PREVIEW show and they mentioned that Routh had quite a big 'baggage' that it worried the producers. lol. Take that for a surprise fact.

But i thought the whole movie was cool enough for a superman show. The best part for me was the saving of the plane. really cool stuff.
engeland
I agree. Tom welling does not fit at all
CWFwrestling
Isn't it weird though how Superman is an alien, basically making him not a man at all.

I'm sorry, I'm an idiot.
sbel
But he was raised a human ...

It's like your japanese but you were to speak french only...
Demolished-13
i thought it was quite boring. there was some interesting scenes and nice speicial effects but over all too cheesy
7/10

i mutch prefered POTC2:dead mans chest
sbel
it's too boring for some people because i think they focus on close ups alot. So only people who find great lighting and skin textures and romance nice would enjoy it more than the people who are just looking at CG
eleceng
The Superman movie is always going to be compared to the first one and it is always going to come away a bit short. In the end of the day it is a summer block buster, with some cgi and action,,,enjoy!
sbel
eleceng wrote:
The Superman movie is always going to be compared to the first one and it is always going to come away a bit short. In the end of the day it is a summer block buster, with some cgi and action,,,enjoy!

you have a good point. Alot of viewers do this and not realize it
epano
I watch it ..
I dont like it becouse its script has no creativty...
illegalhost
Yeah, well, what is Hollywood without CGIs? Haha! NOTHING!! The REAL shows should be from HongKong where all the KungFu originates!! That is the REAL stuff!! Compare that to Bang-WhoopS-POW! *Yawnz* Even the Japanese and Korean movies achieve better with their emotions. Hollywood? Just the gossips page that makes them interesting. Cool
sgtmajore9
Has anyone else read that Ben affleck is gonna star in Hollywoodland .. a movie about the suspiscious death of a superman actor called George Reeves?
Couldn't they have picked an other name? i'm surprised Christopher Reeves' family hasn't sued anyone yet.

Just a heads up here G. Reeves is the original Superman.. He played superman on TV in the 50's , and not to mention the Superman I grew up with. It always seemed funny that the supermans to come would have the same name. as to the Reves family sueing anyone., LOL, I don't think that is an option.

Vince
jipmerite
If indeed a George Reeves played Superman before Christopher Reeves, that might have played a part in C. Reeves being selected to play the part of Superman. Just as a media gimmick....

Let's face it...eventhough today we cannot think of Superman without a picture of C. Reeves coming to mind, there surely would have been just as appropriate other people at the time. Or some even better... I am sure
sgtmajore9
When you watch the trailer to Hollywood Land you they pay tribute to George Reeves (the first SuperMan) in the opening creidits/set up for the trailer. Smile Ans yes he indeed did, as I grew up watching this superman with Jimmy Olson, Lois Lane and the Daily Planet.
I also remember the day they announced that he was dead, and that he had by all indications shot himself. Even then there was some doupt to this being the case, as he was a ladys man and having many afairs with many different ladies. Some being linked with high lvl studio types.

So, for some of us, there will only ever be one superman, the rest are just copies. Good copies mind you, but copies non the less.

Vince
Tumbleweed
I watched the film yesterday........Yaaaaaaaaaaaawn Crying or Very sad
vodkarockstar
...I can't believe you guys didn't know about george reeves being the 1st TV Superman. The Reeve family couldn't sue for the use of George Reeves' character, played by Ben Affleck, because G. Reeves character was a based on himself.

I think the Superman character for male actors in Hollywood IS cursed. It's strange to see to the iconic characters - which are supposed to be invisible aliens - die before their time. It's always shocking to society when a superhero dies unexpectedly. Idea