FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Love just another word for emotional dependancy?

TimeSpree
Something I've been grappling for a while, and most certainly have seen. While it can't really be proven one way or another, what are your takes on Love? Is it just a man-made concept?
m00tmuffin
I think that ideally love should be anything but emotional dependancy--it should be more about being able to be your own person at the core of everything. think it's part attraction, and part caring (among other things,) but I believe that before you can't really be in love with someone else, truely and absolutely, you have to not only love yourself but be okay with the idea of being alone. Rather, to be healthy you don't "need" someone else to "complete" you, you're complete whether or not you're with someone. Love itself is hard to define, but I don't think that the healthy way to be in any relationship whether you love the other person or not involves being emotionally dependant on them.
Panthrowzay
I think that ideally love should be anything but emotional dependancy--it should be more about being able to be your own person at the core of everything. think it's part attraction, and part caring (among other things,) but I believe that before you can't really be in love with someone else, truely and absolutely, you have to not only love yourself but be okay with the idea of being alone. Rather, to be healthy you don't "need" someone else to "complete" you, you're complete whether or not you're with someone. Love itself is hard to define, but I don't think that the healthy way to be in any relationship whether you love the other person or not involves being emotionally dependant on them.

I couldnt agree with you more!!

Love isnt HAVING to be with someone you should be able to love yourself and be happy with that everything else isnt important!!
bluefossil
singing, "what is love? baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me... no more"
saya
................I cant trust this world usually ( love )...............
But the love is really truth
freakinlame
Love is not being emotionally dependent. When you love, do you need someone to tell you how to feel or what to feel? No, right? Love is more about reassuring your emotion and strengthen your emotion rather than being dependent on emotion. Of course, to love, you need to have emotion. If not, why would it be called love? Love cannot be expressed by words alone nor can it be explained by another person. You have to feel it yourself to know exactly what it is about. Smile
manohar225
Love I beleive does involve some emotional dependency in it......But it cannot be considered negative or bad......It is a kind of emotional dependancy which can make you latch on and fly even higher.....Its not emotional dependency to be precise.....More like emotional attachment.......Theres a fine line. Dependency involved being in need of that cord of attachment in order to do something for yourself......Attatchment i think would involve more of a sense of caring along with that cord.....
xkobram
Love is what you feel to someone with whom you feel nice when you are with them. And all the feelings around them are just chemical reactions.
rainmaker
I just thought I should mention that the Greeks spent much time on this concept. According to them, there are 3 main kinds of love:

* Eros--the physical attraction felt for another person. Also known as lust. This is the most selfish of the different attractions.

* Philos--the humanly kind of love and concern for others. This is the next step up. We experience this when give money to the poor and other things like this.

* Agast--the most pure form of love. This unconditional love is exemplified in a parent-child relationship or even the love God has for his people, for instance.

Somebody once mentioned to me that the love between spouses may change over time, but the love for their children never will. Perhaps this can be explained by the 3 types I've mentioned above.

Enough said.

--rainmaker
peaceninja
is agast the same of agape? I only ask because I've heard of agape but none of those other three types of love.
UnikeViruz
Love is no concept. It's more of an emotion that makes the human feel better. Like that of an orgasm per say...
Love just makes you feel all good inside... Smile
tingkagol
TimeSpree wrote:
Something I've been grappling for a while, and most certainly have seen. While it can't really be proven one way or another, what are your takes on Love? Is it just a man-made concept?

it's merely a man-made word to translate those butterflies flying in your stomach... if you have felt it, that is.