FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do I install meta tags on my forum

raaeft1
I submitted my forum to several search engines. I received a message that the forum did not have proper meta tags which are looked for by crawlers.
I searched through the tutorials but did not get much help.
I want to know in which file should I put the meta tags. Should i put them in the overall_header file or somewhere else.Please help.
Traveller
You should really probably learn basic web design first, since this is much more elementary than the installation of a forum. In fact, meta tags have nothing to do with a forum, per se, but with basic web pages, in general, especially for your home page (index.html, index.php, etc.).

Meta tags are part of the HEAD area of a web page, and they are there to tell things about the page and/or site. Starting with a good tutorial such as http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_meta.asp should get you onto the right track.
manumiglani
raaeft1 wrote:
I submitted my forum to several search engines. I received a message that the forum did not have proper meta tags which are looked for by crawlers.
I searched through the tutorials but did not get much help.
I want to know in which file should I put the meta tags. Should i put them in the overall_header file or somewhere else.Please help.

DO you use phpbb forums? If yes, then use this mod http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=364320 to add meta tags to your forum.

Plz ask again incase you are not satisfied with this.

Traveller wrote:
You should really probably learn basic web design first, since this is much more elementary than the installation of a forum. In fact, meta tags have nothing to do with a forum, per se, but with basic web pages, in general, especially for your home page (index.html, index.php, etc.).

Meta tags are part of the HEAD area of a web page, and they are there to tell things about the page and/or site. Starting with a good tutorial such as http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_meta.asp should get you onto the right track.

Well, my friend I think the author wants to know how to add meta tags into his/her forum pages.
raaeft1
Thank you, Manu. I could read your message only this morning. But I got the needful done last night by visiting the phpbb forum and getting access to an excellent tutorial on the subject. I was able to add the meta tags.

I had a bad experience recently with mods and my entire forum crashed. Anyhow, when I feel confident enough to use mods again, I will surely try to use the mod suggested by you as one must constantly learn and improve the forum/website.
jipmerite
Would have been a great help if you had put a link to the tutorial that helped you so much. I am looking to the answer to this same question. Smile
DarkAkira
You shouldn't bother with meta tags. They are obdolete. Use a sitemap. Sitemaps are what search engine spiders actually look for. Then they look for actually page content. They no longer look at meta tags. The don't even acknowledge them even if they are in the page.