FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How come I lost so many link popularity ?

Lilystock
Hi,

I just don't get it, it may be far too difficult for me to understand.

I'm checking regularly my link popularity with this freeware :
http://www.checkyourlinkpopularity.com/howitworks.htm

On 02.06.06, www.nappypooh.com had a total of 68 links. Okay...
On 13.06.06, www.nappypooh.com had a total of 6268 links. Yahoo!!!!
Then...
On 04.07.06, www.nappypooh.com had a total of 1466 links. What? But why ????...

Between this 2 dates :
- I've had the same activities on my website, maybe more...
- I did some links exchange..

Logically, I should have a better link popularity, so how come that it is the reverse ?

Oh, and I still have no link on the Google/tiscaly column, even though I have had around 10/20 visits/day from the googlebots. Somebody can explain to me please ?

Thank you, Crying or Very sad
hunnyhiteshseth
Some search engines hate link exchanges. So, if your website is there, some search engines will actually lower your ranking.
Lilystock
I only did less than 10 links exchange. I'm really selective with who I exchange links, so that hardly fair...
hunnyhiteshseth
It depends, if your link lies on a page that is itself full of many other links & links out number the content, then you will get negative rating.
Lilystock
No. I try to select the website depending on my activity...

Today, my links total is 376.

I just don't get it... How it could be so high and now so low... I just can't figure out what I did for that!
Marston
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
Some search engines hate link exchanges.
Rolling Eyes This isn't true at all.
Scorpio
Marston wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
Some search engines hate link exchanges.
Rolling Eyes This isn't true at all.

Not entirely

But the fact is that search engines hate link farms.

When a page has an unusually large number of links, it considers it to be a link farm.
Meaning, the bots think, it is simply a way of increasing popularity by linking to other sites

This may cause a negative rating

Also, the best thing would of course be to exchange links with sites which have content similar to yours
This helps most times
Lilystock
scorpio wrote:

Also, the best thing would of course be to exchange links with sites which have content similar to yours
This helps most times

Well, that's what I've been doing, and it doesn't seem to help at all...

Today I did a Web page analysis, and seems like the fact that I had Lingerie in my keyword and webpages may be counter productive ? As it is seen as a adult content blablabla. I deleted it from my metatags, but I find that really stupid because I do have lingerie BUT my website is about baby items... Go figure...
jipmerite
I'm sorry I am not able to give you any advice regarding the link rating problem. Just wanted to say thanks for introducing me to this cool piece of software Smile
Lilystock
Well, nice for you.

For my part, I'm just getting mad.

My links total has kept falling, now down to 217.

My website is following all the advice I can find, and it just keep falling... I have no frame, no more than 20 keywords, I'm updating it dayly and so on...

I'm getting fed up with all this, it was just SOOO important for me this website and I just can't get it to work out okay...
meetul
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
Some search engines hate link exchanges. So, if your website is there, some search engines will actually lower your ranking.

yup!

If you exchanged most of your links with the websites having page ranks 0 to 1, it is considered as LINK SPAM and the robots degrade your ratings in their listings.

As per Google people, earlier it was better to have more links but the increasing link spam forced them to change the strategy and to present their users with the best results they have to block all the results with excessive link spam.

Please check the Google Page Rank of the websites with whom you have exchanged the links.

Thanks for reading.
Lilystock
meetul wrote:

Please check the Google Page Rank of the websites with whom you have exchanged the links.

Thanks, but how can I do that ? I don't know how to even MY pagerank. Embarassed

Thanks.
ncwdavid
Maybe its because alot of those freeware stats analyzers and stuff like that are usually not very accurate.
hunnyhiteshseth
Lilystock wrote:
meetul wrote:

Thanks, but how can I do that ? I don't know how to even MY pagerank. Embarassed

Thanks.

There are many ways, one of the way is to install google toolbar, it has a built-in feature that it tells you google rank of each page you are viewing.
There are many other alternatives, google it! & you will find them.
Lilystock
ok. Now I have the google bar on. I have even found this website http://www.pagerank.net.

So I have a pagerank of 3/10, don't know what that mean but it does make me feel better (at least. it's not 0). BUT I still don't come out in Search Engine while my competitor has a pagerank of 2/10 and comes out very often...

Just don't understand a thing actually. I think it is just TOO complicated for my small little brain...
Lilystock
Today, my Link popularity kicked up again. Nothing fabulous, but slow and steady is ok with me.

To bad that my website is down till tomorrow Sad

Is it going to have a incidence on my pagerank or anything?
hunnyhiteshseth
It depends, if suppose your site is down & any search engine bot comes to crawl your site & finds your site down, it may affect the page ranking.
Lilystock
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
It depends, if suppose your site is down & any search engine bot comes to crawl your site & finds your site down, it may affect the page ranking.

Well from what Ive seen Google and Yahoo have been crawling my page at least once a day, so that definitely means that it'll have a incidence on my ranking.

Mad It's not even my fault! That's just unfair!
hunnyhiteshseth
They are not going to change your site rank by just one incidence. But it will still affect & if suppose they encounter that server is down quite a few times they will decrease the page rank.

Its quite fair, as a user of a search engine I dont want that first few links which I view are broken.