FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Writing

pennymellow
I personally love to write and wish to make a career out of it. Penny Mellow is the nom de plume under which I write all of my fanfiction (let's face it: fanfiction is often frowned upon), but I do write my very own stories with their very own characters and ideas and plotlines. I must admit that I'm quite obsessed with getting my ideas down on paper. I'm working on a novel; hey, who isn't these days? Ha.

Are there any other aspiring authors out there? Are you an old hand at the game and have a book or two under you belt? Do you prefer to write as a hobby? Or have you never really had the taste for writing?

Writers, what do you write? Flash fiction, short stories, novellas, novels? Literature, children's, erotica, genre? What is it about that length and style of work that appeals to you?

Where do you get your ideas? How do you keep track of them?

Novelists, do you plot or free-write? Short story writers, do you stick to the conventions of plot, scene and time, do you write in the well-accepted point of view of only one character, or do you prefer to break the mold and try something new?

I'm always willing to experiment with new styles and story lengths. I would guess that my passion to play with new things come from the fact that writing is much more than a hobby for me.

I love to write!
umumkan
to be a writer is a little hard for me, but fyi there is software to make you easy create a plot, story concept, track character etc. This software helpfull for me and maybe for you too

Newnovelist ->http://www.newnovelist.com

Quote:
Newnovelist software embraces tuition used in England's leading university creative writing course, helping experienced and novice writers alike.
It is simple to install and fun to use. It has been enjoyed by over 51,000 people in more than 60 countries, and is supported by an established company, that provides support as and when you need it.

"Newnovelist helped by enabling me to organise my research, deepen my characterisations, structure my chapters and plan my plot through to its climax. All this made the actual writing of the book very much easier”

Mark Bannerman on how newnovelist helped him complete “Lust To Kill” – his 14th published novel

jharsika
I'm an aspiring writer! I myself write short poetry, short stories, and plan on writing a few historical novels, a biographical novel and others.

For those books I plan on writing I do sort of plan out what's going to happen. Mostly though, since I can't find inspiration easily, I just freewrite and see what happens.
pennymellow
Thanks for the link to nenovelist, umumkan. I'll have to check it out.

jharsika, how long have you been writing? What will your historical novels be about? They sound terrible interesting and good historical novels are hard to find these days.
jharsika
pennymellow wrote:
Thanks for the link to nenovelist, umumkan. I'll have to check it out.

jharsika, how long have you been writing? What will your historical novels be about? They sound terrible interesting and good historical novels are hard to find these days.

I'd like to write about the history of the world. But in a way noone has before...I can't say though, it's a secret! Razz

I dunno what the others will be about yet, I just know that I like reading them. Like ones about the Holocaust. I have to find something that is related to me though.
Mysterious Euphony
I tend to lean more towards writing poetry and stories of the historical and fantasy genres - those three are the key branches of creative writing that I'm passionate about.

I must admit that I really love to write extended works. Novels and scripts are amongst the more favourable on my list, as they allow me to fully express myself without any constraints. But I am a rather indecisive writer - you'll often find me starting a novel with an explosively excited attitude, and then two days later I abandon it and move onto thinking about or scribbling down something completely different. There are more than two hundred stories that I've begun - but not finished - lying around destitute in the depths of the black hole that I call my hard drive.

Reading-wise, I have only a select few favourite authors. Traci Harding - an Australian writer I talk to regularly who lives in Sydney - is most definitely one of them. I delight in repeatedly reading her delicately yet intricately woven meshes of science fiction, spiritual/new-age material, historical facts, and fantasy worlds. And I'm rambling.

I am in the process of writing a novel at the moment, the title of which is yet to be decided. The first chapter is still in the works, but I do cherish whatever moments I can have with my Microsoft Word LOL. So yes. In short, I am an extremely avid writer - I aim to be published before I turn 20 years old (and I'm sixteen now) ... Hrrrm. *thinks* Smile
crimson_aria
I love writing. But writing doesn’t love me. XD I mean, I don’t think my talent lies in writing. I have lots of stories in my head but I couldn’t write them down. They just stay in there, float into my imagination and create my own world without anyone knowing I even think of such things. I don’t have the talent in writing. It’s okay. I guess, I have to find where my talent is in some other categories.
Very Happy
jharsika
crimson_aria wrote:
I love writing. But writing doesn’t love me. XD I mean, I don’t think my talent lies in writing. I have lots of stories in my head but I couldn’t write them down. They just stay in there, float into my imagination and create my own world without anyone knowing I even think of such things. I don’t have the talent in writing. It’s okay. I guess, I have to find where my talent is in some other categories.
Very Happy

You could work around that you know. Do a collaboration with someone who is good with literary devices, and understands your vision. Lots of good books are written by two people! No sense letting a good story go to waste...
Obake
Penny, I want to start out by thanking you for kicking off this topic, which could wander off on all sorts of interesting tangents. Very Happy

I’m…not actually sure whether I should be called an aspiring or an emerging writer at this point. >>; I’ve won a competition or two, had a few things (short stories, a poem) published, been strongly urged to finish a novel (all right, I say, but first I have to finish building the world/editing the first chapter/working out the characters’ voices…). What do you call someone like that? A ditherer, I think.

I’m trying hard to make my life as writing-centric as possible. I’m in a course that, with luck, will get me into the publishing industry in some way—not as an author, but an editor, or proofreader (although they’re an endangered species in Australian publishing at the moment), or something of that ilk. And I have a list of books to get down, some of which have been sitting, waiting, since I was about 14.

Which brings me to a question or three: how do other people juggle story ideas? Do you find it best, or easier, to concentrate on one story at a time—or would you rather have two/three/four on the go at once, all at different stages of completion? I’ve heard people (by which I mean: including a few authors I respect) recommend both ways, and frankly I just can’t seem to settle on one method or the other. Also, has anyone had a story idea just die on them, for no good reason? Have you ever managed to revive a dead idea? Conversely, have you ever had an idea latch into you and refuse to let go, even though you know it’ll be years before your writing could possibly do it justice?

Okay, um. More than three questions there. My strong point, maths ain’t.

I write stories at whatever length they need to be—short, novella, novel. Only rarely do I dabble with poetry; scripts, barely ever. I find those forms difficult to read—I always feel they’re made to be performed, and I haven’t the right mind to be able to take a line or a stanza and know how it ought to sound. I read a poem or a script, and unless it is sterling work, I feel as if I’m reading half-blind—if that explanation makes any sense at all to people who aren’t me.

I write fanfiction—mainly slash—mainly Harry Potter or Discworld, but also Legend of Zelda, Pirates of the Caribbean, and a couple of others. Often large projects, rarely finished. I keep trying erotica, and I’m actually capable of it, but no sex scene I’ve ever written has yet appeared on the Internet. Outside of fanfiction, I’m a stubborn fantasist. I might detour into soft science fiction or mix in a couple of other genres now and then, but I don’t see myself ever leaving the one that nurtured my mind and soul as I grew up. As I keep growing up.

For inspiration, I…listen to an eclectic range of music. Visit DeviantArt.com for eye candy. Read, read, read. Dream, and try to remember them. Raise up some of my old ideas and see if I can make them fly again. Collect Avant cards. Give myself rules, and a challenge, a bizarre line to work from. Think about the kinds of characters I love but don’t get to see much in the books I read, and what sort of stories they need, and how I could write them. Think about the kinds of characters I love and do get to see, and what sort of stories they need, and how I could write them.

I keep track of the ideas by, um. Turning my room into a fire hazard, and hoping I remember where I put the all-important note-on-a-bus-ticket-inside-a-half-used-exercise-book-from-grade-three later. One day, I shall get myself a filing system, and it shall be shiny. Bet you half a dollar I still wind up with notes on bus tickets in books scattered everywhere.

Mysterious Euphony, could you tell me a little about Traci Harding’s books? I’ve heard her name before, but I can’t remember having read her, and I’d like to know more about the sorts of stories she writes.

I’ve been collecting new favourite authors lately.Terry Pratchett’s been up there for a while—always will be—but over the past year I’ve started running into some excellent work by Tanith Lee, Diana Wynne Jones, China Mieville, Clive Barker, Susanna Clarke—the list just keeps rolling out. I think I’m about to dive headlong into another expensive, unwieldy affair with a certain Sir P. G. Wodehouse, too. Oh deary, deary me.

There are fanfiction authors I could list too, but maybe in another topic. One that’s actually, you know. About fanfiction.

crimson_aria, if you feel as if writing isn’t your calling but you still want to tell stories, there are other ways to do it. Have you tried working with comics, or perhaps photography or film? Stories can be told visually as well as verbally, and with film in particular you could work with someone else, as jharsika suggests, to develop the script.
crimson_aria
Thanks jharsika and Obake for the suggestions. ^__^ I have friends who're into writing. I better talk to them about it.
jwellsy
If someone is a prolific writer and needs some extra money
you might apply for being a guide (moderator) at about.com .
http://beaguide.about.com/topics.htm
There is a lot of writing involved in it.
They pay a min. of $500/month for the first year.
It's a pretty easy gig, if you like to write.
m00tmuffin
I write more for personal enjoyment then the hope of fame/getting published...not many people have read the stuff I've written but I'm alright with that, it gives me enough enjoyment just doing it in the first place. Mainly work on my novella, vaguely soft sci-fi...I don't know what attracts me about it most. Just been a single idea in my head for years that just won't go away. I keep track of my ideas via an organizer program on the computer and a notebook, and get ideas from everywhere...I have a huge file of just writing prompts and try to do one of those once a day to keep myself sharp. My plots are vague...but I usually just free write. I know where I want to go, but not quite sure how Iwant to get there. Try and write something you normally wouldn't sometime...it's a good refreshment. Very Happy
henrygl
My way of writing is wuite odd. I don't like writing itself, however, I tend to write songs and poetry very easily and about a wide variety of topics. It just comes up to me and I start writing, before going back to my old routine.
Annush_K
Though I never considered myself to have ANY writing talent, I still do write when I'm having some strong feelings bother me. These are usually quick sketches, nothing big, and I write them only for myself, but some people who've seen my only published story, say it's very good. However, I don't consider my writing a hobby even, just a good way to cut down some stresses :3
Anyways, I like writing Razz
eldarian
I'm like to write. Now I'm writing fanfic about our famous rock group "Korol' i Shut" ("King and Joker"). Program that you advised must be very useful but I cannot buy it without licensed credit card Very Happy . Can you write adress of similar program, but almost FREE?
pennymellow
It was a little rude of me to simply up and leave my poor little thread like that, but very nice to see that I'm sharing this space with other writers.

I've noticed that sci-fi and fantasy seem to be really popular. The market is absolutely flooded. Does anyone have any ideas on what draws them towards the genre?
Aiz
I think people are drawn to them because there's more creative space than other genre and there's less risk of feeling unreal for the setting of the novel since the setting itself is unreal.

For me, I like writing but I gave up on it because it is too time consuming. But recently I've been toying with the idea of writing a memoir. (I'm 20, no, don't laugh, lemme explain ><;; ) I want to write it more so to record what I've observed of my family throughout my life and their impact on me than my life story itself, although it's pretty unconventional on its own. But if I do >.> it would be so dark for most parts that I probably won't be able to stand reading it myself because thats how my family history is >_<. I donno if i'd be able to do it. ><
sugarsickness
I love to write although I don't feel I am particularly great at it.

I started writing a few years ago and only wrote poetry. I posted my 'work' on a message board that i frequented (just for un, really) and i got more positive response than i ever thought i would haha. So I kept writing and now I do it quite often and have started writing short stories even (http://sugarsickness.deviantart.com is you want to read any. Anyone else have a deviantart? I would love to read.).

I will often times incorporate poetry into my stories or write in a way that may make it awkward to just read past. I like to write about angels or worms or machines or gods or demons but I don't, for whatever reason, think of my stuff as being "fantasy" or "Science fiction." I dont like talking about my writing in a general or overall sense because i think i sound arrogant maybe so I'll stop Razz

I haven't written many long things. I just like to write quick fast things that usually are anywhere from a few sentances to a few pages. The only 'book' thing I am writing had to be tackled by me writing in as a series of short stories... Which, really, isnt different from having each story be a chapter, I think its just all in the mindset. It's so daunting for me to think of it as a bunch of chapters of one story... so i think of it as a bunch of connected short stories? If that makes sense.

anyway Embarassed
pennymellow
Is anyone else thinking of having a go at NaNoWriMo this year?[/url]
kerouac
I am a writer. I wrote a huge novel running to over 60,000 words but it got lost when I moved. I think its very important to have at least two extra copies of your manuscripts in a safe place.
urangkayo
I Like writing to, but i write article or tutorial for free Smile about IT or related coz i want share my experience with another else.

it's make you happy if you can help another person Smile
scorpiova
I've been writing now since I was in Junior high school. Finally i have finished the first draft of a fantasy novel that i have fellen in love with. It's hard for young writiers and extremely competitive to get publisher by a big company. It's too bad that so many exciting ideas are lost, when a young writer gets rejected.

I have only just begun editing my book, and I hope that I can get published. But it is a long shot, I just hope I hit the bulls eye.
Obake
scorpiova wrote:
I've been writing now since I was in Junior high school. Finally i have finished the first draft of a fantasy novel that i have fellen in love with.

That's wonderful! How long is it? What's the story about? Who do you want to read it? (It helps to be able to say something about these things when you send it to a publisher.)

scorpiova wrote:
It's hard for young writiers and extremely competitive to get publisher by a big company. It's too bad that so many exciting ideas are lost, when a young writer gets rejected.

I have only just begun editing my book, and I hope that I can get published. But it is a long shot, I just hope I hit the bulls eye.

That depends a little on where you're living, I guess, and who you send it to. Just remember that being rejected is kind of part of a writer's life (part of anyone's life, really) so if it happens the first time, don't let that stop you. If the rejection letter gives you any feedback on why your story didn't make it, then have a think about whether the reason was valid, and whether you might need to change your story a little bit to make it more publishable. Then pack it up again and send it off, whether to a new publisher or the same one again--though, if you're going to send it to the same one, you should probably work on your story until it's as polished as you can make it first.

Do you have a list of publishers you'd like to send your manuscript to? It's a good idea to know who publishes the kind of story you're writing, what their guidelines are, how they like people to submit manuscripts, how long you might need to wait for a response, and so on. If you're not sure about those things, maybe try to find a writer's marketplace guide or yearbook (in Australia there's a wonderful book called The Australian Writer's Marketplace, which is published annually by the QWC). Or else look up the website of your preferred publisher to check their manuscript submission guidelines and so on.

The other thing that might help you, as a young writer, get picked up by a publisher, is proving that you can write publishable-quality stories. There are a couple of ways you can do this--find someone, preferably a published author, who will read your story and give positive feedback on it; or send it to a manuscript appraisal service (this can cost a bit though) for a professional assessment. The other thing, of course, is that you might want to get a few short stories published on the side while you edit your novel manuscript. As far as that goes, I'm going to shamelessly plug Wyr[e]d, the speculative fiction magazine I'm working on. Click through the banner in my signature and take a look around--hopefully you'll like the idea Very Happy, but if not, we do have a list of links to other online 'zines that might be helpful to you.

I hope something in all my jabbering is helpful to you--and good luck with your story!
standready
I have written one ebook, "The Idea to Product Primer". I think the title says what it is - a 'how to" guide. I have also written many articles for newspapers. I mostly however, enjoy writing song lyrics.
Tiger
I love writing and have had some of my short stories and poems published in school magazines when I was still at school, but I have never been published as an adult.

Read all the posts here has been very informative. For those who need free software to help with putting a story together, I highly recommend YWriter. I have tried it and found it to be very useful.

I plan to start work on a book in the very near future and I extend my best wishes and encourage everyone here who wants to get published to get started and go for it.
elidorian
I started writing a few years ago and I'm still visiting school here in germany. Normally I write short stories, placed in some science-fiction, but mainly the horror genre. First I was inspired by Howard Philips Lovecraft and his Cthulhu mythos, but as the time rans, other authors started to look attractive to me: Poe, A. Rice, Polidori and others.
But I didn't publish anything, yet. Just for my friends or so. Mainly it's a way to get all that strange thoughts out of my head. Smile As my friends told me, my stories are more "lovecraftian" than I ever thought. ^^ But I'm proud to have my own plotlines and accomplishment.
But first I started with poems. The quantity without loosing quality looks strange even to me, when I look back into the past. I wrote about 10 poems a week. Mainly sort of melancholic or sad lyric. Maybe just to put all that feelings away from me, down to the paper, who knows...
A dream of me would be, to publish the best of my short stories, and some poems next to them, illustrated by myself (yes, I'm drawing, too ^^ Mainly just black/white or greyscale...).
But who knows, maybe it will be a dream forever... Smile
penelopeviv
I find writing to be so healing.
elidorian
penelopeviv wrote:
I find writing to be so healing.

That's exactly what I mean. Especially poetry can be a real catharsis. Write down all your feelings. Otherwise you would drown in all that facings of human feelings.
But I also think, that you have to make this experience on your own - anyone who read that above, who doesn't has that amout of experience with the sad sides of life, won't understand that freeing feeling after writing it down...
samur
I love to write just like you, guys, but my main problem... language problem... is that I'm not native english speaker, so for now when I'm writing in english I can't do it such easily as in polish. My thoughts, ideas on paper in that language are just to plain, too simple, but I'm working on it, now...

But in polish I write many things. From poems to novels, and more. Last time I even had a talk with publisher, who want to publish my poems. Now I just have to wait for some concrets from him...

But mainly I decided that I want to be next-gen writer, so that's why I'm designing games and its worlds, characters, and many more. And as I can for sure say it's challenging work and I like it Smile

So in general I won't say that I like only writing. I just love to create new things. Worlds are one of these things...
thealpha
I love to write too, but I like writing some songs.