FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Intel Core 2 Duo and Extreme

technology.sponge
i've been holding off buying a pc to get a core 2 processor when it coems out. apparanylt, they were sposed to come out july the 23rd but iv heard they been delayed. duz ne1 know when the new releases date it?
crdowner
I have not seen any specific dates. Intel's press release just says "third quarter".
Donutey
If you don't care about power consumption get an Intel 805 or 920 and overclock it.
devroom
technology.sponge wrote:
i've been holding off buying a pc to get a core 2 processor when it coems out. apparanylt, they were sposed to come out july the 23rd but iv heard they been delayed. duz ne1 know when the new releases date it?

So far i know it has only be delayed for some days. So u should just wait about a month Wink
babumuchhala
But do u really think it will be worth the wait. It (most probablly) will be launched at the top of their line up and the proccy will itself cost $1000

Better Go in for a AMD FX based PC Very Happy
Rocky3478
babumuchhala wrote:
But do u really think it will be worth the wait. It (most probablly) will be launched at the top of their line up and the proccy will itself cost $1000

Better Go in for a AMD FX based PC Very Happy

Well, ordinarily I'd be an AMD fan myself, but the price for the Conroe chips has already been revealed. Look at these! Surprised

That E6600 chip has been benchmarked as being faster in all but one category as being faster then the FX series AMD chips. And at that price, I'd say wait. It will be worth it! Cool
bassgs_17
Quote:
Intel is set to announce its long awaited Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme processors tonight, July 14th, at 12:01AM EST. Initially announced at the Spring Intel Developer Forum 2006, Intel’s Conroe was demonstrated beating out AMD’s fastest processors from high end Athlon 64 X2’s to the gaming and enthusiast oriented Athlon 64 FX. Intel also previously launched the Core 2 architecture based Woodcrest Xeon 5110, 5120, 5130, 5140, 5150 and 5160 models. With the new Core 2 architecture Intel is moving away from the megahertz war and moving towards higher instructions-per-clock performance and improved power efficiency instead.

New Core 2 processors are based upon a new micro architecture that shares its roots with Intel’s Core mobile architecture. Intel will launch Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme dual-core processors initially, though a single-core Conroe-L Core 2 Solo processor is expected in 2007. Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme processors have a plethora of new features including Intel Wide Dynamic Execution, Intel Smart Memory Access, Intel Advanced Smart Cache and Intel Advanced Digital Media Boost. Intel’s Wide Dynamic Execution technology allows the 14-stage pipeline to have a 33% wider execution over previous Netburst based processors. Each core also has deeper buffers, 4 wide-decode to execute, 4 wide-micro-op execute, micro and macro fusion and enhanced ALUs too.

(from my blog, http://aquastrike.blogspot.com
psycosquirrel
And more importantly in the news, most mainstream 64-bit AMD processors (both 939 and AM2) are scheduled to half or near half in price upon release. So if you want to buy a 3700 and overclock its balls off, then wait a week and GOGOGO!!!!
mOrpheuS
As Anandtech titles its article about this : "The Empire strikes back" Very Happy

The new intel processors put the best of AMD's where they had been themselves for the past few years.
The slowest conroe (E6300) performs comparable to the fastest of AMD's (FX62) !
The other conroe's beat the AMD's by huge margins.

And since AMD have no new architecture in the pipeline for about a couple more years, they're going for steep price cuts to stay in competition.
While Intel cannibalizes its D series to make way for conroe with even steeper price cuts.

But with the $200 Intel performing comparable to AMD's $1000 processor ... I wonder what AMD will have to come up with in order to recover.

Good times for enthusiasts ahead ... Intel leading the way.

Here's a nice article (probably the first) with benchmarks - http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795
william
Yeah, I think it's delayed for a few days only. And it will be worth the wait, even though AMD will significantly drop prices for some of their CPUs.
Bernak
The sale should have officialy started today (28 July 2006).
We will have to wait till the retailers receive their stock... Laughing

These processor are going to be big punch for AMD..... We will see wich surprise they are preparing for the end of the year....
Xeniczone
Yeh, I think Intel has finally taken the lead again with this chip, but no telling what heat issues it may have Very Happy
bryanbel
I had heard from rumors that there would be a price drop of processor price. About 30% drop of its original price because of the war between AMD and Intel. Is this rumor true? Or had anybody else heard about this rumor?
Xeniczone
AMD has already done a major price drop.
ipmastermat
I've just checked the windows Vista performance tester and a dualcore Pentium D 3.2 GHz 940 with 2 GB DDR just pass the line to hold vista with few settings @ 3/5, 60%, so does it will left some processing time to execute some programs, or it will take a monster computer to just have the 3D activated desktop...just to go over the Internet...if I want to make some video editing or play some games on Vista.....do I will have some great performances or just be cutted bye the new ameliored user interface.... I don't know where they want to bring us...maybe in a black tunnel.... I dont know why they dont just use their logic....if they have some... to make a system that dont need more than 1% of all the resources on the computer...actually with Windows XP, it takes almost 15 % just for running the system....with Vista, does it will take 50%..thats very bad.
OKAY that was my frustration and my opinion about windows crap and...a little bit about the subject...Pentium D 3.2 GHz 940
cya
Master_Mister
Hojo
to my knowledge these processors have already been releaded, at least in germany you can order them at alternate.de and they show they got some in stock (Intel® Core 2 Extreme X6800EE, the less expenive ones are all gone lol).
heres the url if anyone wants to check (clock on Sockel 775 to see a list of CPUs):
http://www.alternate.de/html/highlights.html?hgid=240&tgid=146&treeName=HARDWARE&Level1=CPU&Level2=Desktop&
william
Xeniczone wrote:
Yeh, I think Intel has finally taken the lead again with this chip, but no telling what heat issues it may have Very Happy

Doesn't it run cool?