FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Beowulf Clusters

Donutey
Just out of curiosity anyone here have experience in making Beowulf clusters for BYOC or Folding@home?
ocalhoun
I play around with clusters a bit, I have a five-node cluster at home. It uses only obsolete computers, so it isn't very powerful, but it is good experience for learning to build them.
*sigh*
My control node is more powerful than the rest of the cluster combined. I need $1,000,000 to upgrade it to a good supercomputer. Please donate.
psycosquirrel
Laughing

There was an article in Popular Science about this sort of thing a while back, seems like it could be useful. Though I personally think folding is a waste of money...
Donutey
http://clusterknoppix.sw.be/
ClusterKnoppix actually looks easier to use, particularly the autodetection of new nodes... but all of the wiki is in german... anyone care to translate?
rpgmaker
I want to make a beowulf. Does anyone have a link to a good tutorial on how to do it? I've always wanted my own supercomputer. I'm not sure I could find anything usefull for it to do though. But after all, why not?
psycosquirrel
Laughing Good luck getting enough computers to get a decent system there...
Donutey
well right now i'm looking at a lot of 5 motherboards (slot 1) and i'm thinking it wouldn't be that hard to make caseless systems out of em.
psycosquirrel
Well, you would need 5 power supplies too Razz

Clusters are overrated, two 1GHz computers in a cluster is nowhere near the power of a 2GHz computer. I mean, if you have 5 P2s or something, you might be able to build a cluster with the power of a high-end P3 system or low-end P4 system... That is assuming if you can even get it going properly...

If you do get it working, what would you use it for? It's not like you can game on a cluster or anything...
Donutey
It looks like I can get some old Pentiums for essentially nothing.. idk... to me it's just something interesting to do, kind of like people overclocking there systems.

Yes, i realize you can't game on a cluster lol (actually I saw quake running at some insane resolution (like 10000 pix wide) using several linux boxes (don't know if it's a cluster))