FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Firefox Search Engine Bar

Tony The Tiger
My firefox search engine bar has been erased and blocked. The only thing in the drop down is Add engines... Howver, when I select it (which navigates to https://addons.mozilla.org/search-engines.php ), I am unable to get the computer to recognize any of the links I add. Even though I get the box that asks "Add the following search engine to the search engine bar?" when I hit O.K. nothing happens.

What can I do?
Balthamos
Hum, I would try a reinstall. That sounds like a really weird problem. Or if there is a reset preferences button in FF, then you can try hitting that.

~Balthamos
chriswest
I also agree. Sounds like one of those problems that there is really no easy solution too. Remove FF and reinstall it, then try again. You will find that that takes alot less time then trying to figure out the answer to such a strange and unique problem.
hrtorrent
If you cannot manualy install search engines from firefox web site, better reinstall entire firefox.
Engines is realy easy to install, but your problem is that engine install procedure does'nt work. So, reinstall Firefox, don't bother.
Btw, very useful engines can be added into firefox search bar. I add several torrent engines, for example...
Tony The Tiger
If I reinstall FF, do I lose all my addins and plugins? Also, I am adding my system detail on my temp page at www.tonythetiger.frih.net/Temp.html . See yesterday's Motley Fool posting. Maybe you can see something that is interfering with my search engines.
babumuchhala
Yes you will. You can only save your bookmarks, by exporting them out.

Also once u Unistall firefox delete all its folders from Program Files and your XP profile (assuming u r on XP)

Then reboot and then reinstall.

If you have a registry cleaner like Registry Mechanics do run it to clear ur registry. If not the use CCleaner to get all the crap out, before you reinstall FF.

This way you will literally have a fresh install. Also after you are done, dont just install all your extensions at one go because one of the plugins could be the culprit (It happens many times).
Traveller
Wherever you have Firefox installed (in an English, Windows XP installation, it will be "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox") there is a directory named "searchplugins". Within that directory should be two files for each search engine you have installed. One is the source code for performing the search. The other is an image to act as an icon in the search-engine drop-down box.

I'm not sure if something else, somewhere else could be interfering, but if those files are in that directory, the search engines should be working.

Also, don't forget to exit Firefox and restart it before deciding whether it truly isn't working. In particular, after exiting, be sure to check your Task Manager to be sure that Firefox really did terminate. Sometimes, it can get "stuck" in memory. When that happens, even though you "restart" it, it hasn't really restarted because the other image was still in memory. Thus, if it is still there after you think you got out of it, terminate the process before restarting Firefox. After that, it may work again.
Panthrowzay
there is a extention that saves that stuff... its starts with a p i think the icon is a safe.
Tony The Tiger
Traveller wrote:
Wherever you have Firefox installed (in an English, Windows XP installation, it will be "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox") there is a directory named "searchplugins". Within that directory should be two files for each search engine you have installed. One is the source code for performing the search. The other is an image to act as an icon in the search-engine drop-down box.

I do see six pairs representing the set of engines I have attempted to reinstall. I formerly had about 25 engines installed. Some have .png and .src files otherws have .gif and .src files.
ehunter
For those who have not known about Web Search Pro by Captain Caveman, I would like to share my interesting features I found about this great extension:

* Drag & DropZones, just drag text on any website, and drop it in one of your 16 fully customizable DropZones, and your search will be started

* Search simultanously as many searchengines as you like

* A complete and resizable toolbar including a Search button, add it in the View/Toolbars/Customize menu.

* Completely modify each Search Engine, label, type, favicon, and shortcut key.

* Easy to maintain list of your search engines, just 1 click to add, 1 click to remove a search engine from your list. Also includes 2 quick sort buttons to sort your list ascending/descending

* Compose your own extra group of Search Engines: My Favourites

* Currently (July 19. 2006) has 1231 validated search engines.

* Also allows you to add private Search Engines