FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

AMERICA NEEDS TO WAKE UP!

S3nd K3ys
Quote:
U.S. History 101

VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE!

You have to read the catalogue of events in this brief piece. Then, ask yourself how anyone can take the position that all we have to do is bring our troops home from Iraq, sit back, reset the snooze alarm, go back to sleep, and no one will ever bother us again. In case you missed it, World War III began in November 1979... that alarm has been ringing for years.

US Navy Captain Ouimette is the Executive Officer at Naval Air Station, Pensacola, Florida. Here is a copy of the speech he gave last month. It is an accurate account of why we are in so much trouble today and why this action is so necessary.

AMERICA NEEDS TO WAKE UP! That's what we think we heard on the 11th of September 2001 (When more than 3,000 Americans were killed -AD) and maybe it was, but I think it should have been "Get Out of Bed!" In fact, I think the alarm clock has been buzzing since 1979 and we have continued to hit the snooze button and roll over for a few more minutes of peaceful sleep since then.

It was a cool fall day in November 1979 in a country going through a religious and political upheaval when a group of Iranian students attacked and seized the American Embassy in Tehran. This seizure was an outright attack on American soil; it was an attack that held the world's most powerful country hostage and paralyzed a Presidency. The attack on this sovereign U. S. embassy set the stage for events to follow for the next 25 years. America was still reeling from the aftermath of the Vietnam experience and had a serious threat from the Soviet Union when then, President Carter had to do something. He chose to conduct a clandestine raid in the desert. The ill-fated mission ended in ruin, but stood as a symbol of America's inability to deal with terrorism. America's military had been decimated and down sized/right sized since the end of the Vietnam War. A poorly trained, poorly equipped and poorly organized military was called on to execute a complex mission that was doomed from the start.

Shortly after the Tehran experience, Americans began to be kidnapped and killed throughout the Middle East. America could do little to protect her citizens living and working abroad. The attacks against US soil continued.

In April of 1983 a large vehicle packed with high explosives was driven into the US Embassy compound in Beirut When it explodes, it kills 63 people. The alarm went off again and America hit the Snooze Button once more.

Then just six short months later a large truck heavily laden down with over 2500 pounds of TNT smashed through the main gate of the US Marine Corps headquarters in Beirut and 241 US servicemen are killed. America mourns her dead and hit the Snooze Button once more.

Two months later in December 1983, another truck loaded with explosives is driven into the US Embassy in Kuwait, and America continues her slumber.

The following year, in September 1984, another van was driven into the gate of the US Embassy in Beirut and America slept.

Soon the terrorism spreads to Europe. In April 1985 a bomb explodes in a restaurant frequented by US soldiers in Madrid.

Then in August a Volkswagen loaded with explosives is driven into the main gate of the US Air Force Base at Rhein-Main, 22 are killed and the snooze alarm is buzzing louder and louder as US interests are continually attacked.

Fifty-nine days later a cruise ship, the Achille Lauro is hijacked and we watched as an American in a wheelchair is singled out of the passenger list and executed.

The terrorists then shift their tactics to bombing civilian airliners when they bomb TWA Flight 840 in April of 1986 that killed 4 and the most tragic bombing, Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland in 1988, killing 259. Clinton treated these terrorist acts as crimes; in fact we are still trying to bring these people to trial. These are acts of war. The wake up alarm is getting louder and louder.

The terrorists decide to bring the fight to America. In January 1993, two CIA agents are shot and killed as they enter CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia.

The following month, February 1993, a group of terrorists are arrested after a rented van packed with explosives is driven into the underground parking garage of the World Trade Center in New York City. Six people are killed and over 1000 are injured. Still this is a crime and not an act of war? The Snooze alarm is depressed again.

Then in November 1995 a car bomb explodes at a US military complex in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia killing seven service men and women.

A few months later in June of 1996, another truck bomb explodes only 35 yards from the US military compound in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. It destroys the Khobar Towers, a US Air Force barracks, killing 19 and injuring over 500. The terrorists are getting braver and smarter as they see that America does not respond decisively.

They move to coordinate their attacks in a simultaneous attack on two US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. These attacks were planned with precision. They kill 224. America responds with cruise missile attacks and goes back to sleep.

The USS Cole was docked in the port of Aden, Yemen for refueling on 12 October 2000, when a small craft pulled along side the ship and exploded killing 17 US Navy Sailors. Attacking a US War Ship is an act of war, but we sent the FBI to investigate the crime and went back to sleep.

And of course you know the events of 11 September 2001. Most Americans think this was the first attack against US soil or in America. How wrong they are. America has been under a constant attack since 1979 and we chose to hit the snooze alarm and roll over and go back to sleep.

In the news lately we have seen lots of finger pointing from every high official in government over what they knew and what they didn't know. But if you've read the papers and paid a little attention I think you can see exactly what they knew. You don't have to be in the FBI or CIA or on the National Security Council to see the pattern that has been developing since 1979. The President is right on when he says we are engaged in a war. I think we have been in a war for the past 25 years and it will continue until we as a people decide enough is enough. America needs to "Get out of Bed" and act decisively now.

America has been changed forever. We have to be ready to pay the price and make the sacrifice to ensure our way of life continues. We cannot afford to keep hitting the snooze button again and again and roll over and go back to sleep.

After the attack on Pearl Harbor, Admiral Yamamoto said "... it seems all we have done is awakened a sleeping giant." This is the message we need to disseminate to terrorists around the world.

Support Our Troops and support President Bush for having the courage, political or militarily, to address what so many who preceded him didn't have the backbone to do both Democrat and Republican. This is not a political thing to be hashed over in an election year this is an AMERICAN thing. This is about our Freedom and the Freedom of our children in years to come.

If you believe in this please forward it to as many people as you can especially to the young people and all those who dozed off in history class and who seem so quick to protest such a necessary military action. If you don't believe it, just delete it and go back to sleep.

Note: Over 4,000 lives were lost by Terroist actions against the United States prior to declaring war on Terrorism around the world after 911.

Source = multiple, including

http://usaattacked.com/us_navy_captain_phil_ouimette.htm

and

http://www.operationhomefront.net/NEWSFMHOMEFRONT/wakeup.htm

It's hard to fight a war. It's harder to fight a war against those that would hide behind women/children. It's impossible to fight a war when you refuse to accept that you're being attacked.
HDirtwater
Good lord. Didn't we just do this?

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-41932.html
S3nd K3ys
HDirtwater wrote:
Good lord. Didn't we just do this?

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-41932.html

No, Good Lord, we didn't. But thanks for at least reading the title, even if you didn't read what it's about. Rolling Eyes
Vrythramax
Good acticle S3nd K3ys. It is a shame that it is so accurate however. The US needs to make the thought off acts of terrorism terifying to the terrorists themselves, it seems the only way to stem this hemmorage of violence towards us. I may not agree with alot of what the current administration is doing in and with this country right now, but to all those who would condemn Bush as a war monger, just look at what the world is doing to this country. if it were your country under this kind of prolonged attack you would want something done...even if you didn't have the courage to act yourself.
Fenroy
Wonderful article. It's so sad that people my age are so apathetic about these sorts of topics (I'm 17, by the way). I've felt for quite some time that the previous administrations had done too little to stem the flow of terror. Clinton, for example, could have easily stopped Osama Bin Laden years ago. Bin Laden spent some time in the Sudan where he could have been easily found and apprehended before he overhauled Al Qaeda. Once he moved back to Afghanistan, however, he has proved nearly impossible to find.

As a side note, I say Bin Laden is a coward. He sends a bunch of people to fight his war against America while he hides in a cave somewhere periodically releasing videos and voice recordings supporting the "Jihad" against America, though he has defiled that word. According to some very reliable Muslim sources I have, the term "Jihad" actually means "personal struggle". Because of Al Qaeda, most people think it actually means "holy war", which is patently wrong.

America is truly a sleeping giant. We would do well to show the world that again, and it would definitely help if some of the stronger European powers helped us. Even Spain would be a welcome ally, but they backed out of Iraq when they had that train bombing a few years back. At this point, Tony Blair seems to be the only influential European who has backed America at all, and I'm personally grateful for that.
Ray Gravin
I am not a big fan of war. I don't think america should just leave without bringing stability to the new government in Iraq. I would hope that the events that took place in Iraq were intended to accomplish more. The intentions on the surface by no means justify the war.

I think that fighting terrorism involves much more then flexing military strength. I won't argue if you say that america has the muscle to flex in that area. I think the weakness of foreign policy is the biggest hurdle.

Terrorist feel strongly about what there doing. I think that paying more attention to the diplomatic issues concerning these groups is the key to ending the chain of violence. I don't have all the information concerning the reasons for the terrorist uprising against the united states though. So my statement might be fallible.
Fenroy
Ray Gravin wrote:
I think that paying more attention to the diplomatic issues concerning these groups is the key to ending the chain of violence.

Most of these terror groups seek only one thing: the destruction of the American way of life. Personally, I don't understand their mentality, but I do know that diplomacy won't work with terrorists. They don't actually make their demands public except the destruction of America, or, in the case of Hammas (spelling?) and a few others, the destruction of Israel.
S3nd K3ys
Ray Gravin wrote:
I think the weakness of foreign policy is the biggest hurdle.

... I think that paying more attention to the diplomatic issues concerning these groups is the key to ending the chain of violence.

Foreign policy is what got us in to this mess in the first place. We've spent too much time on it against an enemy that takes 'diplomacy' as a weakness.

Look around, how many have done what terrorists wanted in order to appease them, only to be attacked again?
mephisto73
I see there is no mention of the CIA carbomb in Beirut 1985, nor the shoting down of the Iranian civilian airliner by USS Vincennes in 1988 killiing 290 people:

Quote:
The U.S. government issued notes of regret for the loss of human life but never admitted wrongdoing, accepted responsibility, nor apologised for the incident. Officially, it continues to blame Iranian hostile actions for the incident. The men of the Vincennes were all awarded combat-action ribbons.

Imagine Iran awaring some terrorists medals for attacks on US citizens. The reaction in the US is predictable.

However, such things are rarely discussed.
MrBaseball34
If Reagan had been president when the Iranian students took over the embassy in Tehran, we would have told Russia to go to hell and sent over a brigade of Marines and took it back IMMEDIATELY, 444 days was appaling.

The only thing that the terrorists understand is violence, you can not reason with them. The only thing to change it is for the Isalamic community to stop teaching this type of thing.
S3nd K3ys
mephisto73 wrote:
I see there is no mention of the CIA carbomb in Beirut 1985, nor the shoting down of the Iranian civilian airliner by USS Vincennes in 1988 killiing 290 people:

Quote:
The U.S. government issued notes of regret for the loss of human life but never admitted wrongdoing, accepted responsibility, nor apologised for the incident. Officially, it continues to blame Iranian hostile actions for the incident. The men of the Vincennes were all awarded combat-action ribbons.

Imagine Iran awaring some terrorists medals for attacks on US citizens. The reaction in the US is predictable.

However, such things are rarely discussed.

Lets leave out some key information here so we can make it look like the US routinely targets civilian targets, shall we? Rolling Eyes

Here's what you failed to mention about the incident.

Quote:
According to U.S. government accounts, the Vincennes mistakenly identified the Iranian airplane as an attacking military fighter. The officers identified the flight profile being flown by the A300B2 as being similar to that of an Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force F-14A Tomcat during an attack run.[1] According to the same reports the Vincennes tried more than once to contact Flight 655, but there was no acknowledgement.

At 10:24 am, with the civilian jet 11 nautical miles away, the Vincennes fired two SM-2ER Surface-to-air missiles. The first missile broke the aircraft in two and damaged the tailplane and right wing. After the engagement, the Vincennes' crew realized that the plane had been a civilian airliner.

This version was finalized in a report by Admiral William Fogarty, entitled Formal Investigation into the Circumstances Surrounding the Downing of Iran Air Flight 655 on 3 July 1988.[2] Only parts of this report have been released (part I in 1988, part II in 1993), a fact criticized by many observers.

The unclassified version of a Congressional report of a U.S. Navy investigation headed by Admiral William Fogarty did not accurately show the location of the USS Vincennes some 2 NM (4 km) inside Iranian territorial waters.

In case you missed it:

Quote:
According to the same reports the Vincennes tried more than once to contact Flight 655, but there was no acknowledgement.

Quote:
Possibly relevant factors

* The ship's crew did not efficiently consult commercial airliner schedules because they were not sure to which time zone they referred.
* An Iranian P-3 was in the area a while before the attack, providing an unlikely potential explanation for the lack of target acquisition radar interrogation[6]
* It was first claimed that Flight 655 deviated from the centre of its air corridor, an unusual occurrence with commercial flights - namely that it was 3.35 NM off the 10 NM-wide corridor at the time of shoot-down. It is further claimed that this deviation had it bearing straight at the Vincennes. It is unclear how much of this deviation was true, and how much was claimed to obscure the Vincennes' position within Iranian territorial waters.
* It is claimed that a Mode II IFF squawk of 21100 was mistakenly attributed to the Airbus track, identifying it as an Iranian military aircraft (commercial aircraft respond with Mode III squawks). However this was not the case: according to the official military report the flight was in fact using the correct squawk mode. The Vincennes simply either heard it wrong or believed it was a military plane using Mode III 36760 to deceive them. It has since been assumed that the tracking device used to identify IFF squawks was left in the original postition of Flight 655 when first sighted, which had subsequently moved, confusing the Flight 655 squawk with that of an Iranian F-14 fighter within the area. The Bandar Abbas airport was shared between commercial and military aircraft at that time.
* The crew of the Vincennes' Combat Information Center (CIC) confusingly reported the plane as ascending and descending at the same time (there were two "camps"). This seems to have happened because the Airbus' original CIC track, number 4474, had been replaced by the Sides' track, number 4131, when the computer recognised them as one and the same. Shortly thereafter, track 4474 was re-assigned by the system to an American A-6, several hundred miles away, which was following a descending course at the time. Apparently not all the crew in the CIC realized the track number had been switched on them.
* This incident took place just over a year after the USS Stark was attacked in the Persian Gulf by an Iraqi Mirage F-1, costing 37 lives.
* The psychology and mindset after engaging in a battle with Iranian gunboats[7] might have contributed to the mistakes made. The actual reasons for the Vincennes' engagement with gunboats is not so clear to this date.
* Software development expert Steve McConnell claimed:

Iran Air Flight 655
Iran Air Flight 655 was shot down by the USS Vincennes' Aegis system in 1988, killing 290 people. The error was initially attributed to operator error, but later some experts attributed the incident to the poor design of the Aegis user interface.[8]

Quote:
On February 22, 1996 the United States agreed to pay Iran US$ 61.8 million in compensation ($300,000 per wage-earning victim, $150,000 per non-wage-earner) for the 248 Iranians killed in the shootdown, and for the aircraft [14]. This was an agreed settlement to discontinue a case brought by Iran in 1989 against the U.S. in the International Court of Justice.[15] The payment of compensation was explicitly characterised by the US as being on an ex gratia basis, and the U.S. denied having any responsibility or liability for the incident.