FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Neverwinter Nights

Fire Boar
Hi all. Has anyone here played Neverwinter Nights (for the PC)? If not, I suggest you snap it up; the deluxe edition includes both expansions and goes for around 20, so I'd reccomend that.

There is a HUGE online community for the game, even now; and it's as old as dirt. There are about 1000 regular online servers as well, all with completely unique places thanks to the amazing Toolset that comes packaged. It is probably the deepest adventuring game out there, with the largest community.

Well, I just thought I'd set up this discussion thread on the game so... umm... discuss!
TonkPilz
yeah Nwn is a truely a amazing game and if you havent playd it do it now
and nwn2 is soon here Very Happy
shadeR
i never heard about this game, sry Sad
TonkPilz
shadeR wrote:
i never heard about this game, sry Sad

its a RPG game based on the dice and spread sheet system of bullders gate (not sure if thats how you spell the name)

dident like BG tho but loved nwn
Nameless
Neverwinter nights is, simply, a computerised version of AD&D. It includes many of the rules, classes, races, items etc. from it (and does an excellent job of creating a real-time battle system that uses turn-based rules) and includes a powerful editor to allow people to create their own 'modules' which effectively comprise anything from a short adventure to an entire epic campaign.

I've owned NWN for a while, and think it is excellent. The campaign included in the game itself is, IMHO, not so great, but there's a lot of far better fan-made content available to download so it's not a game that you just 'finish'. Especially when you can play many different class/races (and dozens and dozens more if you download some extra tools) as well as more modules online than you could ever hope to play. If you like rpgs of just about any type, NWN is an amazing game.
mattchun
lol...
I played it in my friends Pc - my computer can't run it...
what a pity...
thebullet
Used to play it - great cusotmization but didn't play it for long because my computer at the time couldn't handle it that well. Now I play Guild Wars, which is also a great game. I am also looking forwards to Never Winter Nights 2.
rip8fan1
Since we don't have enough NeverWinter Nights topics, another one might make it enough!

NWN is an awesome game, and I recommend it to anybody who likes RPGs. I don't think people that like FPS will be converted, IF they don't like RPGs. It is kind of slow (compared to an FPS), and there are too many 'conversations' (for the FPS lover).

Anyway, I'll be getting NWN 2, after the price goes down, and I upgrade my current system.
XeononyX
I am guilty. NWN is quite a game I actually own 2 games so me and my wife can play together. When I make games it is always 'Xeononyx's Server" and when i play it is posted up to the internet and the password is xeononyx to get in, this is an open invitation for any frihosters to come and play with me if my server is up. I play regular games with item restrictions and legit characters. No hak paks or downloads needed. I don't have a special PW I usually roam the second chapter of HotU.
Cthulhuman
I used to play it but then all of my friends went to WoW so I was all alone. I started WoW but then my brother got addicted and played it too much so I never got a chance play so I just stopped. idk if was just the server that I was on but the rules kind of drained the fun out of the game. What servers do you guys play on, ours was anphillia.
bottleoffear
Fire Boar wrote:
Hi all. Has anyone here played Neverwinter Nights (for the PC)? If not, I suggest you snap it up; the deluxe edition includes both expansions and goes for around 20, so I'd reccomend that.

There is a HUGE online community for the game, even now; and it's as old as dirt. There are about 1000 regular online servers as well, all with completely unique places thanks to the amazing Toolset that comes packaged. It is probably the deepest adventuring game out there, with the largest community.

Well, I just thought I'd set up this discussion thread on the game so... umm... discuss!

NWN is awesome, the only downsiide is its hard to find good social servers, seems like thier all cyber sex or local characters not allowed
bottleoffear
TonkPilz wrote:

nwn2? this is the first oive haerd, do you have alink?
soulman
NWN is awesome, I like the King Maker scenario
angelussum
I like this game a lot.

Sadly, haven't played it in a while. Put it down a while back and never had a chance to finish it! One day I'll have to get it and finish it up.
TonkPilz
bottleoffear wrote:
TonkPilz wrote:

nwn2? this is the first oive haerd, do you have alink?

here you go m8
http://www.atari.com/nwn2/
matttai
its a great game
although i can never play these sort of games for long Sad
3rd person type games always make me feel like spewing up for some reason
and sometimes 1st person too if its too quick Sad
its the reason why i only really have played baldurs gate for a long time!
moonblade
Theres a game with a lot of fun in it.. Just wish there would be more multi player stuff for it. I keep looking for adventures me and my wife can play together but i allways end up with some adventure where we both cant go somewhere at the same time or we mess stuff up because it wasnt designed for more than one...

If i had more time id build my own adventures....
TonkPilz
Nwn2 promises alot more multyplayer support and fetures etc
moonblade
Aye, NWN 2 *promises* a lot, but will it deliver? Let's take a critical look.

1) NWN 2 is not developed by Bioware. In fact... NWN 2 is developed by Obsidian, and Obsidian is unfortunately ill-famous for promises left undelivered (SW:KotOR2 as one example)
2) ATARI has been playing the funding trick. Sure, NWN 2 is one of the biggest titles ATARI has in the soon-to-be-released slot, but let's keep in mind that they are balancing on the edge of slipping into bad financial troubles. Will they save money, or give full support? Remains to be seen.
3) AFAIK, lead designer left the project 6 months before completion. Argueably, not too bad. However, initial release date plan was beginning of summer '06, and now suddenly, NWN 2 has a time-out. Why?
4) Screenshots. I know graphics aren't important in a role-playing game. But I don't want Aurora engine with bump slapped on top, thanks.
5) ATARI had at one point asked Bioware to NOT let out the "final" patch that would contain things such as horses. That idea got scrapped, but question remains. Why not let horses in? Because NWN 2 doesn't have them? Or because -old- game had them look and work better? I don't know.
6) I rather prepare for the worst and save some money than expect the best, waste money, time and mood on a title that will fail thanks to crap publisher policy.

Now, all this said, I WANT NWN 2 to be a good game. I really do. I want a good RPG with a good con set and online capabilities. If my current worries are going to be soon proven wrong, I'll be but happy for it.
TonkPilz
non of those problems are any ting special happens all the time and dosent realy mean any ting in till the game have bean tested.

tho for the Aurora engine i cinda agree ther tho but im farly surten that the modifacations on the engine will be sufficent for to days standards of game play graphics

and im totaly for useing the old engine it will hopefully keep the feel of the original game and coz of it i am 99% sure it will have etlest the same class of tool set support nwn1 hade