FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Game Maker

reddishblue
Theres a great program you can get from www.gamemaker.nl that allows you to make really good games if your good, try it and tell me what you think
DeathPact
that reminds me of RPG Maker 2000.
Fire Boar
I've tried it. It's okay, but I never really have the time to put together a decent project. That and I can't draw to save my life. I'm okay at putting together scripts though...
ehm_qhl
its seems fun ... but , i would try it at my cousin house... more details in 2-3 days...

my cousin house have a better computer , and , he have a big imagination ... it's a combo me and him .. LOll
mongoose41
I've had Game Maker for three years. The scripting system is rather easy but the compiliations are rather slow, in other words C/C#/C++ are much faster alternatives to Game Maker.
rightclickscott
I've had it for awhile, and the guys at my sister site are using to make their first game. Things are going along well for them, while I'm too lazy to make any HTML games.
rayx
I think RPG Maker 2003/XP are much easier to use than this GAMEMAKER engine. To make a good game for Gamemaker you should learn how to code a script using the engine scripting laguages. So it better if you make game using Visual C++ and some free source engine like OGRE 3D or Haaf 2D Accelerated Engine.
ehm_qhl
rayx wrote:
I think RPG Maker 2003/XP are much easier to use than this GAMEMAKER engine. To make a good game for Gamemaker you should learn how to code a script using the engine scripting laguages. So it better if you make game using Visual C++ and some free source engine like OGRE 3D or Haaf 2D Accelerated Engine.

i dont know ... RPG Maker 2003/XP take so many time to finish a game...

but , i say in top ... im going at my cousin's house wednesday ... i should try gamemaker with him ... more details...
Nameless
I've used Game Maker on and off for a year or so. It is, in my opinion, one of the best programs for easily creating 2D games. There are 3d functions, but they are limited. The thing about it is that it is fairly easy to be used by inexperienced as well as can be very powerful with the GML (in-built scripting language) if you're prepared to put some time in. It does have some disadvantages (such as speed, and limited compadability) but it's advantages (easy of use, flexibility, etc.) far outweigh those. You can use it to make pretty much ANY 2D game you can think of with just about ANY feature - more complex things just take more work (although, less work than doing the same thing in, say, C++).

Game Maker is well suited as a program for those who enjoy making games as a hobby.
xzoz92
ok form what i have seen it looks good but i haven't used it much and i will be shortly when i go on vacation to a place without internet(yes i know the horror)
nFuriate255
I used this about what...2 years ago? It's a quite flexable program and I made a sort of pacman game with some mates of mine. TBH it was pretty good and I enjoyed making it. I would suggest all other people who want to make games to look into this as it's a good start.
Juparis
I'll have to wait till my next notebook before I try it.
I wanted to start learning a language like C/C++, but haven't had time this summer. And since I have a falty notebook model, I can't run the simplest of games without it overheating and crashing on me. No fun there, but I might be able to save up for a decent notebook later this year.

Are there any other languages besides C/C++ a game-fanatic like me?
xzoz92
Juparis wrote:
I'll have to wait till my next notebook before I try it.
I wanted to start learning a language like C/C++, but haven't had time this summer. And since I have a falty notebook model, I can't run the simplest of games without it overheating and crashing on me. No fun there, but I might be able to save up for a decent notebook later this year.

Are there any other languages besides C/C++ a game-fanatic like me?

i would suggest not learning any of those but try to learn C# since C/C++ will probably soon be outdated
matttai
i think anything like gamemaker is still great to get newbies into programming. I myself started on alot of scripting based engines like gamemaker before i moved onto c#. It doesn't really matter if its about to be outdated though. Most object oriented languages are essentially the same with the majority based on C anyway so it isnt so hard to adapt from one language to another.
eg. going from Java to C and vice versa. As long as your having fun i say go for it! Gamemaker is a good program and its free Smile
kackel
Hi guys, cant some1 of you who know this with C++ and all that create a litte 2D game for me? Hehe, send me a PM Smile

Regards Meee
guissmo
Game Maker is one of the few BEST game makers I have ever tried. Most weren't user-friendly. I think I started using it when I was 11 or 12? I made some home-playable games. I'm currently 14 and doing a "deal or no deal". I can't rush it though 'coz school and laziness is blocking the way.
OsterhouseProductions
I use gamemaker, and i find it's a really easy to use program when you get used to it. It's really good for a base to coding, after using this program learning other coding languages was a breeze. And it's nice for just making GAMES, as opposed to flash where it takes a couple hours to make a pong game, if your experienced with it, while you can make one in 5 minutes with gamemaker.

I'm working on a diablo style rpg right now actually Very Happy .
check it out if you want http://forums.gamemaker.nl/index.php?act=ST&f=11&t=176607
mongoose41
Nameless wrote:
There are 3d functions, but they are limited. The thing about it is that it is fairly easy to be used by inexperienced as well as can be very powerful with the GML (in-built scripting language) if you're prepared to put some time in. It does have some disadvantages (such as speed, and limited compadability) but it's advantages (easy of use, flexibility, etc.) far outweigh those...
...Game Maker is well suited as a program for those who enjoy making games as a hobby.

On the forums many users create dll's and scripts to bridge gml with the other scriping languages such as C, making high quality 3D games and fast 2D particle engines possible, reducing the 3D/Speed disadvantages.
Shadow03
Yeah, I have Game Maker 6.1. I really enjoy it. It has very good features that RPG Maker doesn't have. It literally allows you to do everything envolving the game. It gives you tools, but the rest is up to you. That is what makes it good. I am currently making a game and I like that it has a great frame rate which can probably be unlimited unlike RPG Maker XP's 4 animation frame rate. So, in my opinion, Game Maker is great. I am planning on using it it for the rest of my games. Trust me, it is very worth it. If you want to make a game, there are very good advantages such as 3D games, online games, in depth creation, and a very specific help guide. Of course there is a lot more, but that is definately enough for me. For a rating, I'd give it a 8 out of 10. A great game engine. Very Happy
Yjaxygames
There is already a topic about GameMaker but I'll shut up cause back seat moderating =bad.
linkman2004
I used to be an Multimedia Fusion user until I saw the light and switched to Game Maker. I definitely find it better then MMF, especially where graphics are concerned. Some of the graphical effects I've made in Game Maker are rediculously awesome. Whenever I try to make cool effects in MMF I always fail. Not to mention, MMF is rediculously expensive. Confused

I am so glad that my bro has the registered version of Game Maker 6.1.
mongoose41
Yjaxygames wrote:
There is already a topic about GameMaker but I'll shut up cause back seat moderating =bad.
Can you give a link? Not much help just saying that unless the threads on the first page. I'll also shut up cause back seat moderating = flame war.
rpgmaker
that isnt such a good game maker Sad rpg maker xp is though. Because the graphics
alson041
It's a good programme.
rayx
If you want to create 3D Game try 3D Gamestudio by A6 Engine.

================================================
GAME MAKEr by Overmars

Game Maker is a game development software application written by Mark Overmars in the Delphi programming language. Overmars released the original version on November the 15th, 1999.

The primary interface for the creation of games is via an object-oriented drag-and-drop system, allowing users unfamiliar with traditional programming to intuitively create their game simply by organizing things visually on the screen. Users select objects they've created themselves and drop instances of these objects in the area of the game they are working on, and Game Maker automatically applies any global effects to that instance of the object. To extend the drag-and-drop functionality of Game Maker, users can use files called Libraries to add new drag-and-drop items known as Actions to the lists. These can be created with a special library builder.

The program is designed to allow its users to easily develop computer games without having to learn a complex programming language such as C++ or Java. For experienced users, Game Maker contains a built-in scripting programming language called the "Game Maker Language", allowing the user to further customize their game and expand features. Games can be distributed under any license (including no license), in non-editable executable ".exe" files or as the .gm6/.gmd (Source Code) file itself.

Game Maker is not as widely known or as used as other game development programs. It has, however, attracted a substantial number of users; mainly because of the program's accessibility to beginners while still allowing complex tasks to be undertaken by more advanced users. It is not as narrow in game creation as some other programs, as it allows the creation of many types of games, including platform games, first-person shooters, third-person shooters, massively multiplayer online games and simulation games. Game Maker is fully capable of creating standard programs as well, making it a very versatile development platform.

As of May 29, 2005, Game Maker is at version 6.1. It now incorporates the use of Direct3D, allowing the usage of limited 3D graphics, and adds limited support for simple 3D models. Converters make it possible to use more popular 3D formats such as .3ds, and .obj for use in a 3D project. It also supports the ability to create certain particle effects like rain, snow, and clouds easily.

Game Maker is available in a free version and a registered version. The registered version, which costs €15 (about $20 or £10), extends the features available in the program, such as the ability to incorporate DLLs, create multiplayer games, take advantage of Direct3D, use particles, and utilize advanced drawing functions. The free version displays a small Game Maker logo during the loading of the user's game, while the registered version allows the user to replace the Game Maker logo with their own.

Game Maker's engine has improved over the years and has become much faster -- especially in the graphics area -- allowing one to use alpha and blending functions for their game's sprites.

Game Maker has very few limits, as one can extend a game or application with DLLs to perform other advanced functions from compiled languages such as C++, Delphi, Pascal, ASM and others. The following are several examples of DLL files which could be useful for game/program creation in Game Maker.

* GMSock - Allows GM to use sockets to perform basic network functions; such as making an IRC client or file downloader.
* GMSQL - Enables MySQL connectivity, allowing the game to interact with databases hosted online.
* GmIrrLicht - Incorporates Real 3D functions into GM, Ultrarealistic physics, particle systems and other useful tools for making a 3D game. In part a wrapper for Irrlicht.
* Text2Speech - Enables GM to use Text to Speech functions, allowing the creator's games or programs to 'speak'.
* SXMS - A wrapper dll which allows Game Maker to use Fmod and Winamp plugin support. Adds extended / advanced audio abilities such as DirectX 8.1 FX, Visualization, Channel management, Streaming audio (local or online source) and supports a variety of audio formats.

[edit]

User interface

The user interface is designed to be very user friendly with a tree menu to keep the project organized and easy to access controls. Game Maker features a drag and drop system of Action icons which allows for easy programming.
[edit]

Game Maker Language

The Game Maker Language (often abbreviated to GML) is a flexible scripting language within Game Maker which allows for users to further enhance and control the design of their game through conventional programming, as opposed to the default drag-and-drop system.

Originally, GML was designed to supplement the drag-and-drop interface, allowing more advanced users to add additional functionality to their games or programs. Newer versions of Game Maker actually use GML as their base, with all of the drag-and-drop functions coming as pre-written libraries.
[edit]

Syntax

The syntax used within GML is fairly relaxed, allowing users familiar with a variety of languages to switch to GML and back. This feature also allows the user to begin the use of it immediately, provided they already have a background in conventional programming. Game Maker also includes a particular engine to support other languages .DLL's, such as C++, Delphi and Pascal.
[edit]

Minimum System Requirements

There have been complaints about the latest versions (6.x) of Game Maker because the executables created with these versions require a more advanced computer than previous versions. Because of this, some users use Game Maker 5.3a, the last 5.x version, instead.

Minimum System Requirements for Game Maker 6.1:

* Microsoft Windows 98 SE, Windows 2000, Windows ME, or Windows XP.
* DirectX 8+
* DirectX 8 compatible graphics card with at least 8MB of video memory.
* 64MB of RAM.
* 166MHz processor.
* DirectX 8 compatible sound card.
* 800x600 (or more) screen resolution with 16-bit or 32-bit colors.

Mininum System Requirments for Game Maker 5.3a:

* Microsoft Windows 9x, Windows NT 4, Windows 2000, Windows ME, or Windows XP.
* DirectX 5+
* Pentium class processor or higher
* 800x600 (or more) screen resolution with 16-bit or 32-bit colors.

The mininum system requirments for Game Maker 6.1 and 5.3a are identical to the mininum system requirements for the games created with them, though it is important to note that poorly planned games or games using 3D graphics may experience instances of slowdown.
[edit]

Educational use

Game Maker was written by Mark Overmars, a Professor of the University of Utrecht, partly as a teaching aid for his students. It is gaining recognition as a useful teaching tool in primary and secondary schools because of its easy entry and sophisticated scripting language. It is particularly useful for gifted primary students and secondary students as a task which is both challenging and relevant. A compendium of educational links can be found at http://users.tpg.com.au/billkerr/g/aus.htm
[edit]

The Game Maker's Apprentice

The Game Maker's Apprentice is a beginner's guide to game development written by Mark Overmars and Jacob Habgood. It shows you how to create nine Game Maker games from different genres using resources created by professionals from the games industry. It also discusses game design theory and provides practical examples of how this can be applied to making games that are more fun to play. See the official book website for more details: http://book.gamemaker.nl
[edit]

Game Maker Community

Created by Mark Overmars, The official forum of Game Maker -- more commonly addressed by its initialism 'the GMC' -- is powered by Invision Power Board. It is primarily used for asking questions about Game Maker; posting games, examples, and tutorials created with Game Maker, and announcing Game Maker related websites. It has thousands of members with many more joining daily.

In 2006 the board was briefly hacked while offline, causing a few users with Internet Explorer to become infected with a virus. This issue was swiftly corrected.

credit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Maker
puredazzle
I like GamesFactory. It's simple.
vonboy
i love game maker. i have been using it for about 3 years now, though i only ever finished one game. i'll just do a pro's and cons for gm, k?

pro's
-easy to learn the programing languege
-user-friendly
-can make high-qualitiy 2D games (they do exist, you just gotta look ppls. )

con's
-slow compared to c+ and other langueges
-needs game maker code ito use your game stuff you make when you create a exacutable, unlike other langueges, so you'll start of with like a 1.5mb game file even if you don't do anything to it (it'll zip at around 650kb)
-VERY limited at 3D (few hundred polys, anyone?)

tha't all i can think off right now.
xinafoid
can you make games or somthing?
vonboy
yes, you can. it's only good at 2d game though. it can do 3d, but it's VERY limited. like you can only have a few hundred polygons or it'll get slow, so i guess you could just barly make games with nintendo 64 like graphics.

just try it out. it's easy to learn, and theres tutorials and stuff on the website and all over the forums. the forums also have a help section where people will help you if you don't understand something or you get stuff on something.
SuperLala
I think that Gamemaker is exellent for beginners. Then, they can move to a more complicated language when they get used to programming.

Whong wrote:
catscratches wrote:
I havn't tried DarkBasic but I've heard alot about it. Seems interesting but I'm to greedy to spend any money on it and I'd rather learn some real programming language.

There's a free trial version that you can download and try. www.darkbasic.com

I highly recomend trying it if you want to make good quality games. It takes a while to learn though. Wink

Maybe the order of programming languages as you progress and learn is: Game Maker --> DarkBasic --> C++
traxion
SuperLala wrote:
I think that Gamemaker is exellent for beginners. Then, they can move to a more complicated language when they get used to programming.

are we talking about the same gamemaker

my gamemaker version i dont need to type anythink. it was klik and play

im useing C and PHP now that are real language's where u need to program
SuperLala
Game Maker is excellent for beginners because no coding is needed to make a game.
EanofAthenasPrime
You can't change the awful GUI and it runs much slower than C++.
SuperLala
C++ may be faster, but Game Maker is much simpler. That is why it is better for beginners.
EanofAthenasPrime
SuperLala wrote:
C++ may be faster, but Game Maker is much simpler. That is why it is better for beginners.

but that doesn't excuse the horrible GUI.
SuperLala
It actually does. A person being able to make a slow game in gamemaker is better than not making a game at all for people who do not understand programming. Gamemaker and C++ are better than each other in different ways. Anyway, Game Maker's GUI is great.
Iaxx
Gamemaker is a really fun program to use it was way easy to understand and i was able to have a pretty nice game up and running with in a week. thats pretty good i think. i do how ever want to find a more powerful game designing program besides C++ and C# ha ha not that good yet but if anyone has any names for me that would be Great
Vladalf
Many people who hear Game Maker think like: Oh, it has maker at the end, it must be a program for noobs who just want to press buttons.
It's not true. The programming language is really powerfull and is good for other types of software too. Me and 1 of my friends try to use the language as much as possible. I find the language... logic. When I tried C++ I just saw some random words that would make a program... Still C++ is the future Razz if I want to become a game programmer I must learn it.
catscratches
Vladalf wrote:
Many people who hear Game Maker think like: Oh, it has maker at the end, it must be a program for noobs who just want to press buttons.
It is Wink Yes, there is more advanced functions like (sucky) 3D, surfaces and multiplayer but it is still for n00bs. I'm not saying that it is a bad program at all. No, no! It's very good but it's still only for beginners in programming.
Whong
I've tried it but didn't find it to be very good. Sad

I'd suggest DarkBasic if you really want to make games. It's an easy programming language. Smile
catscratches
I havn't tried DarkBasic but I've heard alot about it. Seems interesting but I'm to greedy to spend any money on it and I'd rather learn some real programming language.
Whong
catscratches wrote:

I highly recomend trying it if you want to make good quality games. It takes a while to learn though. Wink
catscratches
Nah, I'd rather keep going on with C++ and Irrlicht since I think I'm getting more use out of that if I'm ever getting to be professional.
kicy
Game Maker is pretty cool it teaches the concepts of game program (switches, ai, ect) and leaves out all the other extra stuff like making a map editor or some other stuff.
Whong
catscratches wrote:
Nah, I'd rather keep going on with C++ and Irrlicht since I think I'm getting more use out of that if I'm ever getting to be professional.

Well, if you know C++ there is no point in going to DarkBasic since C++ is much better and useful a language than DB. Smile

Good luck with learning C++! Very Happy
catscratches
kicy wrote:
Game Maker is pretty cool it teaches the concepts of game program (switches, ai, ect) and leaves out all the other extra stuff like making a map editor or some other stuff.
It is very much possible making a map editor in GM. It's very easy too. Just have fake objects and then turn them to the real ones when playing.
Legolas710
I prefer to use other languages and such, but if you want to make a quick game, Game Maker is very handy. I have been using it (along with some dlls and such) for around 5 years, and I pretty much have it totally mastered and can make most anything with it that it can possibly handle. I also enjoy writing scripts for it and helping more advanced users (not n00bs) with advanced coding.

If you know how to use it, its pretty powerful (not as powerful as C++ and C# though), and can help tons in starting to program. In fact, the site that I work for (GMKing.org, which also publishes the official Game Maker magazine, MarkUp) is now getting ready for a contest where we will see who the best GM Game creator out there is (besides us).
kicy
catscratches wrote:
kicy wrote:
It is very much possible making a map editor in GM. It's very easy too. Just have fake objects and then turn them to the real ones when playing.

I would prefer to save maps in arrays.. then make the game load them.
catscratches
kicy wrote:
catscratches wrote:
kicy wrote:

I would prefer to save maps in arrays.. then make the game load them.
There are thousands of ways of doing it...
kicy
yea there is...
Legolas710
Thats so true...

Have any of you heard of Slime Online? That's made in Game Maker...

slimeonline.org
dwcnps
I used to have fun with editing the sample games. I turned Street Race into Cars Going Crazy; instead of having just the horn beep when you press the space bar, the horn beeps AND the cars move sideways. There was an error though; the cars moved onto the info pane instead of going under it.

I made one game myself though; The Falling Flames is a game where you click on a falling flame to get a point and to stop it from hitting the ground, causing you to lose a live. I think it was meant to get harder as you go along, or was it the player choses a difficulty level, or both, I don't remember, but I was proud of it because I used to get impatient sometimes. I am now slowly trying to learn C# now.

Game Maker is good for beginners to programming.
Flakky
catscratches wrote:
You can combine GM with Irrlight. And a while ago it got Vista capabilities as well so someone else is taking care of the compatibility while I can just relax and code Smile
catscratches
Yep, but that is Irrlicht 0.3 A very old and terrible version. And GM is still hundred times slower than C++ and far from as customizable.

EDIT: And C++ has Linux compatibility which is even more important than Vista compatibility.
JBotAlan
xzoz92 wrote:
i would suggest not learning any of those but try to learn C# since C/C++ will probably soon be outdated

Wrong. Just because Microsoft is trying to shove C# .NET down everyone's throats, doesn't mean that C++ is outdated. And C has its niche--in embedded controls (iPod, automotive microcontrollers, etc.). C++ is highly supported by the open source community. It's not going anywhere.

I have toyed with Game Maker...I seem to remember there being a pro version that costs money. I don't see it as that powerful; I'd rather build my own. Then again, I'm a nerd.

JBot
ArmenianUnit
Ive TRied Game Maker... It seem to work Lovely =]
jerredk
i try it. But it take so long to make a game no time no good game :p
sorry but nice link!
Flakky
catscratches wrote:
Yep, but that is Irrlicht 0.3 A very old and terrible version. And GM is still hundred times slower than C++ and far from as customizable.

EDIT: And C++ has Linux compatibility which is even more important than Vista compatibility.
When you look at the numbers and not about your opinion about the ranking of OS's you should see that probably more users get to use Vista (or any other Windows version) which means it would definately play a role when you go to a publisher and say that it isn't Vista capable but at least it is Linux.
There are more ported 3D engines like Ultimate 3D as well (good but unknown DX8 renderer) which supports shaders, and a lot more. And although C++ is faster, I bet an experienced user can still keep the frame rate steady although it is not meant to be able to have top-of-the notch graphics.

SO yeah, it is slower but it isn't that bad.
HeadshotMaggot
Gamemakers waaaaay too hard, waaay too complicated. I prefer RmXP or FPS Creator.
MikeNF75
I myself started with RPG Maker (all versions) and tried out Game Maker.. Both are easy to understand and use, both have some strong points when it comes to scripting and functionality. I've since upgraded to MultiMedia Fusion Studio. This is hands down the BEST utility for creating not only games, but any type of application outside of C++ of course. The only downside, it comes at a price and is usually only available to college students or corporations in need of this type of program. It has a graphical drag and drop GUI, pre-programmed scripting libraries, and the ability to write your own custom scripts. If you can get your hands on a copy, it's definitely worth a look.
catscratches
jerredk wrote:
i try it. But it take so long to make a game no time no good game :p
sorry but nice link!
This has nothing to do with what you're using. It will always take long time to make a good game. No utility in the world can help you.
Flakky
MikeNF75 wrote:
I myself started with RPG Maker (all versions) and tried out Game Maker.. Both are easy to understand and use, both have some strong points when it comes to scripting and functionality. I've since upgraded to MultiMedia Fusion Studio. This is hands down the BEST utility for creating not only games, but any type of application outside of C++ of course. The only downside, it comes at a price and is usually only available to college students or corporations in need of this type of program. It has a graphical drag and drop GUI, pre-programmed scripting libraries, and the ability to write your own custom scripts. If you can get your hands on a copy, it's definitely worth a look.
I will check that one out, thanks Smile
SuperLala
Just to let you know, Game Maker is now in http://www.yoyogames.com/

Whong wrote:
catscratches wrote:

Maybe the order of programming languages as you progress and learn is: Game Maker --> DarkBasic --> C++
Legolas710
Something like that. I myself don't like DarkBasic, but I know (lots I learned from GML):

GML
HTML
C++
C#
Visual Basic
PHP
Javascript
Actionscript

And I can at least partly understand others.

One thing that I hate is when n00bs come onto the GM forums and ask something like "were can i find a good mmorpg MAker tat makes them in24 hoeurs?". Actually, I don't exactly hate it, but I laugh so hard! Very Happy
kicy
MikeNF75 wrote:

There is a game called Multihero i think was made with multifusion, I don't know much about it except it was a fun hard game :p
Legolas710
Cool! Game Maker in my opinion is the best free/cheap game creation program/language. I really don't like RPG maker. Smile

Before I used Game Maker, I used Stagecast, which is awful compared to Game Maker and other programs.

Oh yeah, and adding to my list, I can also do CSS.
catscratches
Yes, Game Maker is much more advanced and allows for more than many other software out there. For example, FPS Creator can let you make FPS:s without effort but nothing more than that (strongly disrecommended, it really sucks). In Game Maker you can do any kind of game (unless it contains 3D featuring more than 10 polygons >_>).
Flakky
catscratches wrote:
Yes, Game Maker is much more advanced and allows for more than many other software out there. For example, FPS Creator can let you make FPS:s without effort but nothing more than that (strongly disrecommended, it really sucks). In Game Maker you can do any kind of game (unless it contains 3D featuring more than 10 polygons >_>).
There is a solution called Ultimate3D which is my favorite of the list of 3D render DLL's.

I recently saw a 2D realtime bumpmapping example, really cool.
catscratches
But it is still not a good 3D engine even though usage of the DLL. There are many of better 3D engines that are free and open source for C++. For example Irrlicht and my favourite Ogre3D.

Game Maker is still slow even when using dlls.
kicy
for 3d games i have 3d game studio, which is pretty cool. Only problem i need models to work with >< its hard to learn to program when have no models to test it with. (no good models that is)
Flakky
catscratches wrote:
But it is still not a good 3D engine even though usage of the DLL. There are many of better 3D engines that are free and open source for C++. For example Irrlicht and my favourite Ogre3D.

Game Maker is still slow even when using dlls.
Irrlight is ported, Ogre3D isn't Sad But still you can use it. And it isn't THAT slow if you use it properly.
catscratches
yep, but the Irrlicht port is from version 0.3 or something if I can remember. A long time ago and a very very bad version of Irrlicht. And Irrlicht isn't a perfect engine either.

And with GM ports you need to call the dll every time you need to do anything... Which means that it WILL get slow when doing much.
jabapyth
gamemaker is a great starting language/ide (it got me started into programming), but ive found it has too many disabilities to easily use for advanced projects
Flakky
catscratches wrote:
yep, but the Irrlicht port is from version 0.3 or something if I can remember. A long time ago and a very very bad version of Irrlicht. And Irrlicht isn't a perfect engine either.

And with GM ports you need to call the dll every time you need to do anything... Which means that it WILL get slow when doing much.
I didn't knew about that. What is the latest version of Irrlight?
catscratches
The latest version is Irrlicht 1.4beta but personally I recommend Ogre3D.
FlyingYouri
I don't like Game Maker. I love Macromedia Flash 2004 Wink . It is a very good progam, you can make games, sites. Gamke Maker is not fine for me.
nbeerbower
I made some cool things on GameMaker. Nothing much. I really only finished a couple games on it and now I'm programming in Java and Python.
kicy
Gamemaker is not ment to be used to make 3d games, if you wanna make 3d games then find another engine out there (unless your are quite knowledgable with gml.)

As Gamemaker compared to Flash, Flash uses and different style of "scripting" it is kinda the same in some levels, but it all depends on how your mind works. For example, I think of games as objects with sprites placed on a map. On the other hand, You might think of it as movie clips, with buttons, and timelines and all the junk :p
catscratches
A game is something playable. Razz There my definition ends.

It's not fun to make games just like all the other games out there. It needs to be new to be entertaining.
kicy
catscratches wrote:
A game is something playable. Razz There my definition ends.

It's not fun to make games just like all the other games out there. It needs to be new to be entertaining.

this is what nintendo is doing... and to me they are failing Smile. Some of the plain regular genre games still havn't been explored to their full potetial. Though there are some games that come close in some cases, but they are severly lacking in another aspect. versa vice.
kiran_n444
not that FPS just google free FPS game en great, for FPS, if you wan to make a gof FPS i guggest Cube Engine, its great to make games somewhat like CS.
SuperLala
My theory is that Game Maker is one of the best engines out there for creating simple 2-D games, which can be either platform games or top-down games. Programming languages that are found easier than Game Maker like FPS Creator do not give you as many choices. Programming languages that give you more choices like Java and C++ are a bit much for people who want to quickly learn how to make a fun game. I believe that Game Maker has found a balance.

Also, although Game Maker 7 is not meant to create 3-D games, you can create them. You can even create games that allow the player to operate on the extra dimension. One just has to work more hard than he is used to in order to make those games.
SunD3R
i tried out the games created by this Game Maker on YoYoGames and it actually looks pretty good. Some games are quite fun to play.
foreverdestiny
Game maker is excellent for beginners although that doesn't mean the engine itself is weak. In the hands of a master, Game Maker can produce amazing works.

http://www.hanakogames.com/knight.shtml
LostOverThere
foreverdestiny wrote:
http://www.hanakogames.com/knight.shtml

Georgina Bensley is an incredibly talented games developer. Many people at the GMC really admire her. David Galindo has also done pretty well out of GameMaker, Spirits of Metropolis was made completely in GameMaker. Don't be fooled, GameMaker can be very powerful. Smile
dimedrol-tab
I used it 3 years ago... It is good that some people make game building more simple but i think that everyone who want to create cool game can learn any programming languages and create game using it. And nothing will remind you that this game was made in Game maker but not by yourself... Rolling Eyes
tchaunt
I used to love GameMaker. I just got tired of it, though, because I started doing so many things. I had the full version of it on my desktop, but my main computer is my laptop now and I don't want to waste my space with it.

It was a good program, though. I preferred it over any over program of its type. I would recommend it to any new programmer or anyone who doesn't mind being labeled a noob for using it. :/ It was actually the first thing that got me into actual programming.
catscratches
dimedrol-tab wrote:
but i think that everyone who want to create cool game can learn any programming languages and create game using it.
No, it takes: time, effort and patience, something not all people can afford.
ponda
Seems interesting but I'm not much of a game designer to begin with. I could probably do the artwork for one, though.
joe_042293
I got Game Maker a pretty long time ago, at maybe Version 3 or something. Ever since it was bought by Yoyo Games, I think it's gone downhill.

And as a 'veteran', I'm totally allowed to say that. Right?
LostOverThere
Quote:

I got Game Maker a pretty long time ago, at maybe Version 3 or something. Ever since it was bought by Yoyo Games, I think it's gone downhill.

I personally don't want to pay for GameMaker 8, but the last time I did so was in January 2005, so I guess I'm due...
SuperLala
?
I'm pretty sure that Yoyo Games did not buy Game Maker. I'm pretty sure it just changed websites. (The original creator is the main admin of the site)

The only thing that went downhill (at least for me) was the complication of the registration process.
drackon
I've used gamemaker before. i had this really good game that was similar to the game "the world's hardest game." but the only bad part is that you cant convert it to flash. It kind of brings the program down a bit. It's really easy to use though.[/quote]
slashnburn99
Gamemaker is great, especially for remaking the classics
gta-tr
Game Maker is only creating 2d games then gamer maker engine is bad
LostOverThere
Quote:

Game Maker is only creating 2d games then gamer maker engine is bad

I assume you mean GameMaker isn't all that great for 3D games. If so, then I agree. Although GameMaker was never really designed to make 3D games, so don't expect quality 3D support any time soon.
mr_magnus
Ive been using it for 2 years now and i am weary satisfied.
the engine is flexible, easy to learn and use and it really is all you need if you are a beginner or not going to do something extreme (like a WOW remake).

though its kinda limited.
i only have lite and have to "skip" some important features in games (or do something extremely complex to back it up)

but it has more ups then downs and you can wont be disappointed for the first years.
wombatrpgs
It has scripting so it's better than RPGmaker anyway... And I wasn't aware the "pro" features added that much. What are you missing?
amperx
my take on game maker, is that its really user friendly for those who are starting out creating games on their own.
plus the added scripting support which makes it flexible, but not to a certain extent such as creating complex games.

the beauty of game maker is when you want to creating something in a limited period of time, game maker can offer it to you,
hence you'd be able to see right away the output of the game that you want. Very Happy

but as soon as your imagination rises, and you want to add more and more stuff to your game, this is where these kind of programs get you stuck at some point. because your limited to a certain degree, and it only offer a 2d engine for the games that you make out of it.

if your dead serious into making it to game development business i'd suggest you study a game development language such as c/c++ while its still early, but if you think its only a past time or you just want to do it quick and forget about it later then game maker is the app for you.
rayxzero
Is anybody here want to share his/her games?
catscratches
wombatrpgs wrote:
It has scripting so it's better than RPGmaker anyway... And I wasn't aware the "pro" features added that much. What are you missing?
Lots of built-in functions like 3D (limited), in-game resource editing (i.e. externally loading sprites), surfaces, data structures etc. etc. Things most likely required for an advanced game.

The perhaps most interesting feature in Pro is however DLL support, meaning that theoretically, you can do pretty much anything. Music recording, web cam recording, dynamic music creation, 3D (there's eg. a wrapper of Ogre3D for GM), MIDI-writing/editing, audio conversion, image conversion, system spec info (which can be used to automatically configure a game's settings), web server, ftp, advanced online multiplayer, online highscores. That's just some of the stuff I've seen.
wombatrpgs
Wait, you can't use data classes? There are ways to get around that, but it's a pain in the ass. I'd pay just for that...
pscompanies
catscratches
If you start with C++ it'll take you years before you can do something substantial. I would never recommend it.
andyadams
It’s actually a nice and helpful piece of information. I am happy that you just shared this useful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.By the way,i want to create a game with 2d barcode in java,any suggestions?