FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Strengthen the Intro Forum or Scrap it





alkady
I when on the "Other Forum" a few days ago and Frihost wasnt part of the vocabulary, But thats not the point. When I went into their intro forum, I noticed some members, Mods & Members where posting their heart out on every single thread with "Hi, Welcome to LH, I hope you enjoy your say <Insert Name Here>"

I havent seen this on Frihost but with many members there, There is a change that habit will be brought here. So I thought maybe Frihost should either set a Quota on how many people one can welcome or instead turn that forum into a single topic where people make 1 introduction or some sort of alternative.

P.S. No I haven't switched alligences, Just trying to balance everything and get certain things I wont find here.
tidruG
I didn't fully understand your suggestion. Are you saying we ought to have more members welcoming people to Frihost in the Intro section?
jayandsilo
me either
Hogwarts
@TidruG
No, I think alkady means that people are just going to spam the intro forum by saying
"Hello <name> welcome to Frihost! I hope you have a great time here!"
and things like that.
Then, I think they mean there should be a minimum quality post: e.g. 2 points, in the intro forum.
Ratman2050
Hogwarts wrote:
@TidruG
No, I think alkady means that people are just going to spam the intro forum by saying
"Hello <name> welcome to Frihost! I hope you have a great time here!"
and things like that.
Then, I think they mean there should be a minimum quality post: e.g. 2 points, in the intro forum.


Yes I think thats what hes saying, it was a little confusing to understand, anyways yes they may spam it but don't mods check that out and see if there posts are quality wise. Thats one upside but the downside is getting a whole load of spam
Bondings
Alkady, we are here on the Frihost forums, not just on some random forums. There might be a reason why this doesn't happen here or very infrequently.
wumingsden
Also note alkady that frihost is unique because its been up for a long time, amongst other things. Other new hosts may have a better offer, I only recently discussed Substainable Hosting privately with other staff members, but they will never be able to keep up with the demands unlike what FriHost has for the last yr.
FriHost does not copy off other hosts and if there does become a problem with members always saying "Hi" to a new member then I guess then will be the time to decide what action to take, right now though I see no problem.
Blaster
I know what he is saying. He is saying that there are problems with users just saying hi welcome to frihost. I know becuase this does happen to get points and stuff. Your best bet is not to do that because personly i think it is just spamming.
ocalhoun
Well, scrapping it is not a viable alternative, that would just make all the noobs post 'hi' in the general chat forum.
Putting it all together on one thread isn't so great either, because in a forum this size, no user would get personaly welcomed as most do now.
Turning it into a no-points forum may have some merit, but it is an absolutely essential part of any good forum. (Much like the announcements section)
VCK9001
What's this "other forum" you speak of?
TeenZine
I am a member of Lh (probably not any more but you dont need to know that)Part of the thing is Alot of back seat modeating here and the mods (no offence) giving out to many warnings for spam. I have also noticed a biger amount of spam since n4L left. Which is part of a reason I will switch to Lh at the end of the month. Another thing here at frihost is that the fourms are getting to croweded. I suggest not accepting more accounts for a few weeks (maybe even a month) so we can all post more long quailataly posts.
wumingsden
[off-topic]
Its quite hilarious that you mentioned spam and backseat moderating, above anyone else.

The staff are chosen by the other members of staff and the ultimate decision is with Bondings, we mods can only recommend, not hire. You say that the staff are sending out more Spam warnings - you also state that spam has got worse since N4L left; I for one see a link Wink

Its also important to notice that you will only know that mods are giving out a lot of spam warnings if you have been recieveing them regularly, or another member at FriHost has and they have told you about it.

If a member spam's they recieve a spam warning, simple as. If you recieve a few spam warnings it means that your posts are of poor quality/have no meaning/don't use quote tags, etc. All of these are against the rules and so the member whom posted them will recieve a Spam Warning. As of this time this system is more than reliable.
[/off-topic]

Back on topic. Users who post too much in the Introduction Forum may be encouraged to try and post elsewhere.
Maybe a good solution is to disable points/Frih$ in the Introduction Forum?
TeenZine
wumingsden wrote:

Back on topic. Users who post too much in the Introduction Forum may be encouraged to try and post elsewhere.

I reseved a warning for spaming in that thread when I was greeting them. But I would not to mention more plubicaly
wumingsden wrote:

Maybe a good solution is to disable points/Frih$ in the Introduction Forum?

Indead it mite work. How ever I think it is inportant to greet the new members and is where i met a few friends I have now. Therefor you mite
want to make a smaller cost per a character,and a max of like 2Frih$ instead of the current max which I belive is 4.
wumingsden
Disagree, if a current member wants to meet/say hello to a new member then points/frih$ wouldn't come into the situation. You rather enjoy saying hi to new members and not bother about the points/Frih$, or you only say hi to the new members because you are frinedly.
if however you are extremely active in the Intro Forum then you may get sent a warning.
TeenZine
wumingsden wrote:
Disagree, if a current member wants to meet/say hello to a new member then points/frih$ wouldn't come into the situation. You rather enjoy saying hi to new members and not bother about the points/Frih$, or you only say hi to the new members because you are frinedly.
if however you are extremely active in the Intro Forum then you may get sent a warning.

Also people saying hi = PAGE LOADS = ADD expressions = money = pay bills= dont go to jail (ok i streached it but you get my point)?
Blaster
I said disable them before in that forum. It didnt' turn out to good. http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-27807.html see what i mean.
billybob
I think that the suggestion in the topic posted by buster is good (think by noobie4life) about disabling points just for the replies, as I don’t think that it is fair on the new members not receiving points for the posts as its the replies that are usually spam not the initial posts.
VCK9001
Sorry to go a bit off-topic, but what's LH?
alkady
<snipped>

@Everyone
Anyways, I think Disabling points is a good solutions, Beat having the General Forum flooded by Noobs anyday.
wumingsden
LH is not a rival of FriHost, so please don't try and compare them, there is no comparison. FriHost has been up for more than a year, I severly doubt that LH will be able to cope with half this time.
Bondings
Please note that it is our policy that advertising other (free/paid) hosts on Frihost isn't allowed. We already had that policy since over a year.

It is not because other forums have problems, that you should be complaining here.

Considering the fact that the people complaining about it here, seem to be the only ones doing it, I suppose it would be a good idea to -close- this thread.
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-352183.html#352183
tidruG
Blaster wrote:
I said disable them before in that forum. It didnt' turn out to good. http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-27807.html see what i mean.

I still support disabling points for replies, perhaps.
The reason I rallied for the Intro forum to remain open was because it provides noobs with at least 1 good post, and then they only have to make 4 more good quality posts.

But sometimes, the replies can be spammy. However, there's nothing like a nice welcome to someone who's just registered on the forums, so I wouldn't say that the replies are 'useless' or 'unrequired'.

So maybe we can try to remove points for the replies in the intro forum, although I think that would probably be quite hard... would require quite a lot of modifications in the Cash Mod.
Related topics
More forum types.
add some media code in the forum
New forum area (computer problems)
Suggestion -> A small one though
New member...
How can i make that intro page?
Introductions a problem?
stats banner in forum signature problem....challenging!
Need A Flash Intro
intro page
Flash Intro Needed 130 Frih$
Don't ever get Married
Replies to posts.
Is it time to scrap the faith forum?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.