FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New PC, what do you think about it?

Timoses
Hey guys. I just wanna hear some of your opinions what you think about my new
Computer Very Happy..

Mainboard: Asus A8N-SLI Premium
CPU: AMD Athlon 3800+
Graphics card: MSI NX7900GT-VT2D
Harddrive: Maxtor 6G160E0
Ram: Kingston HyperX DIMM 2GB kit
DVD: Toshiba SD-M2012
DVD burner: Plextor PX-750A
Power: Enermax EG465AX-VE(G)FMA
Case: CoolerMaster Centurion 5 blue
Coolers: Coolink 801 Basic 80x80x25
Coolink 1201 Retail 120x120x25

Well, that's about it. Would love to read some critics.
dxhunter
Very good system but if i were you i would do something AMD OPTERON or INTEL CONROE CPU. or any Dual core system. Conroe Coming very Strong.

Japan overclock team make Super PI test 1M. 9.8 second only Shocked

Timoses
Well. It's already ordered and payed.
I think it'll do it for now. Ty Very Happy
Anybody else eh?
dxhunter
It's already ordered. Ok no problem, your system very good and i hope you use stabilite all softwware and Games.
Rsam
Nice system, your processor might be a bit of a bottleneck to the 7900 in the future though. Also I don't trust the reliability of Maxtor hard drives.
Naif
Looks fine to me! You were wise to select the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium motherboard. The processor is really good too and so is the graphics card. I am not sure about the hard disk though because I dont have any experience with hard disks manufactured by Maxtor. I dont go for any hard disk which isnt manufactured by Seagate. 2 GB RAM is well enough for running two or three resource eating applications simultaneously. And the best thing about this configuration is that is Windows Vista ready...

By the way, do you plan on overclocking your processor or graphics card in the near future?
mikajoh
Quite nice setup, Lots of memory, nise cpu and ok graphiv card. First up i wouldnt choose Maxtor as hdd, since they make a lot of noise and much heat. Nica case ^^

Thus, if I were you (which eventually Iam not) i would waited a couple of weeks and bought sokket AM2, were you for exampel would be able to use DDR2, which is much better for the price compared to DDR...
psycosquirrel
AM2 is less than a 1% upgrade over AMD, and usually results in a decrease in performance when gaming because DDR2 is currently slower than DDR. Oh, and DDR is less expensive too.

I think the system sounds great. I would have gone with an Opty 148 and not get a dual-core. Dual-cores generally game less well than single cores because usually only core ends up doing all the work.

Someone said the 3800+ would be a bottleneck, there is no way it would ever be (even with 7900GT SLI) because most games use video processing far more than normal processing. This may change in the future, but the PPU could potentially have a drastic effect in the opposite direction.
Timoses
Ty for those critics guys Very Happy.
I'm not going to overclock the Computer and don't know if I did it when I knew
how to.
I first wanted a 3900+ but then tehy didn't have that one in storage anymore
and they gave em a 3800+. Not that much of a difference.
You guys think I'll be able to play Crysis with that machine?
I hope so. Game loosk awesome Very Happy

And I personally think Maxtor is trustable in quality. They work.
bugra9
Very expensive and noisy. I think you will use Intel CPU.
SLNapster
Pretty good PC, great graphics card! One thing you might want to change is your CPU although the clock speeds on that one are good you might want to consider getting a dual core CPU in the future especially if you are gonna be playing a lot of games. If not a dual core would just be good for multitasking. But great PC.
TheGeek
Sounds good except that i'm not a fan of Kingwin memory, Asus motherboards, or MSI graphics cards. Thats just personal opinion though.
psycosquirrel
Timoses wrote:

Easily. Have fun Very Happy
viceless
thank you very much for that AM2 / DDR2 information psyco. i intended to buy am2/ddr2 on my next system, but i'm a gamer so unless anyone knows if that will be a constant or is something that will be worked on in the future, i guess i'll be sticking with the norm.

and i happen to believe in Maxtor's reliability. Seagate is the largest Hard Drive manufacturer in the world, and i don't think they would have bought out Maxtor if they didn't know their remaining stock/manufacturing equipment was up to standard.
Timoses
psycosquirrel wrote:
Timoses wrote:

Easily. Have fun Very Happy

Yay Very Happy

Does my motherboard support dual core cpus?
Bones
psycosquirrel wrote:
AM2 is less than a 1% upgrade over AMD, and usually results in a decrease in performance when gaming because DDR2 is currently slower than DDR. Oh, and DDR is less expensive too.

That's really interesting. I did some research on this, and when benchmarked side by side, DDR2 wasent slower than DDR, but it only out performed DDR by a VERY slight margin.

I am planning to build a new system in the next few months, and was really excited about trying out the newer DDR2. Now, not so much.
looksbad
MAN!! you missed out on the conroes.. Ive just got mine ( E6600) for just 235 its clocked at 2.4ghz ( 1 core times that by 2 and youve got the speed of the whole thing) i got it overclocked to 3.2ghz on the stock cooler i bought a new one just incase it might run hot underload (which it didnt really) and now ive got it at 3.5ghz these processors are insane and with the cpu youve got you really did miss out. + That graphics card would get alot more kick out of the Core 2 Duo's.

But yeah overall a nice system
looksbad
psycosquirrel wrote:

Someone said the 3800+ would be a bottleneck, there is no way it would ever be (even with 7900GT SLI) because most games use video processing far more than normal processing. This may change in the future, but the PPU could potentially have a drastic effect in the opposite direction.

WRONG!! The Core 2 Duo's have shown up to a 25-35% in graphics processing. Especially in newer games where fast speed is needed.

But yeah a good gpu is gonna be good but the cpu is a bottleneck on that i wuld of gone for a 4600+ with that GPU, unless i knew i could overclock the 3800++ alot.
TomS
I'd have gone for AM2 though just because socket 939 will soon be gone and if you ever wanna upgrade to a faster CPU you'll have trouble finding one that will still work on 939, you know...

Yeah, psycosquirrel is surely right when he says that DDR2 is currently a little bit slower than DDR1 but he is not right when he says that DDR1 is cheaper than DDR2, here in Germany it's just the other way round, 1GB of DDR2 is about 10-20 Euros cheaper than DDR1, that is ca. $15-25...

But definitely nothing's wrong about your system. It should work great and should be fast enough to do everything you wanna do at the moment. Have fun with it!
bassgs_17
I'm not here to argue about the Core 2 Duo, but anyone building a new pc should really consider it as an option. Even the low-end outpaces an AMD chip that costs 3x as much, even after the price drop.

Back on topic, your rig is much better than my POS Celeron rig I've been meaning to upgrade. Curse you, budget problems!

-Aquastrike
psycosquirrel
looksbad wrote:

WRONG!! The Core 2 Duo's have shown up to a 25-35% in graphics processing. Especially in newer games where fast speed is needed.

But yeah a good gpu is gonna be good but the cpu is a bottleneck on that i wuld of gone for a 4600+ with that GPU, unless i knew i could overclock the 3800++ alot.

In GAMING where the CPU is functioning as a bottleneck. This is rare unless you have uber graphics, such as a 7950GX2 paired with a 3500 or something stupid like that. BTW, it is not only the Core 2 Duo's that will give a boost in processor-intense games. Fortunately for people that play normal games, things like this are rare. With my 7600GT and Opty 146 @ 2.5, I ALWAYS have a bottleneck on the 7600GT. My proc is usually at less than 50% load in heavy gaming, where the GPU is always maxed at 100%.

Trust me on this, the 3800 will overclock well, almost as well as the optys (though it will depend heavily on the motherboard also).

DDR1 has gone up in price and DDR2 has gone down. Since I posted, newer speeds of RAM have been released, and a better Conroe chipset has gone mainstream. I would say DDR2 is probably now better performing than DDR1 on Conroe systems (compared to a 939 equivalent). Either way, you are going to be EATING games alive with that 7900GT. It is quite a nice card.
chandanis
Very nice system u got there, i'm sensing u ain't got to worry about fps for some time Razz
Jaan
Very nice, but check mine V
(it owns you)