FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

young people now...

38club
Young people nowadays are materialistically affluent but spiritually empty... There are two main bunches of youngsters. those who study hard and are suffocated by the education system .and those escapees who only know how to enjoy life there is to tomorrow ... which kind of you ?
mying
38club wrote:
Young people nowadays are materialistically affluent but spiritually empty... There are two main bunches of youngsters. those who study hard and are suffocated by the education system .and those escapees who only know how to enjoy life there is to tomorrow ... which kind of you ?

every day i study and study.. besides ...still study.. for me... study is more important .. good result.. good career..
Helios
Well, you only study for how long? 15-17 years?
But how long do you live? Much longer.

Better have a good career, then you can really enjoy life.
Zug Zug
Um..I'm both. I study hard for college, and I have fun. I also work. I believe that having fun and college/studying can coexists ^_^
CyanEyed
im with Zug Zug.

Im known as "professor" at school yet i still have fun - whether it be surfing the net or playin with my mates
Soulfire
I find an equal balance, or at least I try to, between studying, internet, and my spiritual life (although I could give my spiritual life more time).
soyaholic
Education system has been our guideline for what is right and wrong since the early childhood years.

The way young people think, talk, analyse data into information has inevitably been shaped by the education system.

I feel that we have been too brainwashed to be our natural selfs. The meritocracy system was initially used to differentiate the geniuses from the ordinary. The irony was that Einstein was a dropout.
IceNinjaa
yeah i try to find a good mix of the two. although i tend to play more than study, i still get enough done to get the grades i need. but im going to college next year, so that should be a trip....
The Czar
My teachers are always joking so I have fun while learning. It does lower focus as we are always joing around but the subjects still get into my brain...
Becky
Well, i study alot, but i have to because of the pressure i am put under at school to do so.
But i do try to find a balance, which can be hard. But i have lots of fun during the school holidays..and i do go on the computer alot.

What does 'spiritually empty' mean? After 15 years of schoolingi havent learnt this yet Embarassed
destructivenature
I'd rather have fun than study, but once in a while I have to hit the books. Both of my parents are workaholics and I'm the complete opposite. I find it hard to understand how someone could enjoy his life working all the time. I could go 50 years without any major accomplishment and still feel that I've been using my time well. Anyone else like this?

And what does spiritually empty mean? I'm an atheist, do you think it's ruining my life or something?
mtoni
erhm.. hard one..

I study hard when i need to.. and when im not studying im happy with the things i do then at that moment..
Code of Ruin
38club wrote:

I think you are seeing this situation way to black and white. There are also lot's of grays. I study hard to be able to make a good living later. But I also like to unwind after a hard day of work.
UnikeViruz
I'm half and half...When I feel like doing something I'll do it...Other than that Im sittin on my PC reading up on stuff or reading a book trying to get more knowlegable about things....I have had my fun in life and now I feel I dont need to get as crazy all the time
silentlythinking21
Helios wrote:
Well, you only study for how long? 15-17 years?
But how long do you live? Much longer.

Better have a good career, then you can really enjoy life.

You study your entire life, as per the saying "you learn something new every day." Just this school year my teacher was telling us about his classes that he had to take. He said just as you think you get out of school, your put right back in.

I'm both as well, but in a different way. The wrong way. I want to study to get good grades to get a good job to live life happily, but another part of me, the stronger part, cannot stand school. It feels that school is inadequate, not tailored correctly to each individual's needs, so why even bother. Coupled with the fact that I have no willpower, I will get most of my work done between 10:00 and 12:30, and alwaus leave something for tomorrow. Yet still, i am one of the brightest in the school, if not about the topics discussed then the topics left behind, like philosophical riddles and conundrums.
Andrew426
I dont think you can put all young people into two groups.

That would be like gathering up all the objects in your house and putting them into 2 groups: "Red" and "Not Red" (the red is just an example, I dont want people flaming me about my choice of colors/examples)
Vrythramax
err..I am not exactly young, and I have already earned a post-grad degree, but I am still attending MIT for another degree, so I think this qualifies me to comment. In the course of my study I see many young and dedicated people who can only see as far as the problem that is in front of them. I don't know if this should be called "focus" or loss of sight. These young people are absolutly brilliant in thier respective fields without a doubt, but I can't help thinking they are misssing out on something that may prove more important than sheer study. They eat, sleep, and live for the study of something that is going to encompass thier entire lives. I can certainly appreciate the dedication these people show, but there is more to life than simple study and knowledge by rote.

Live and learn, seems the only plausable measure to me.
Hobbit
I'm both. I love to have fun, party, going to concerts or backyard gigs, sometimes I even drink. You're only in high school once!!

Some people are just too stupid and only do that ^^, but don't study or worry about their future. You can do both at the same time, be successful and have fun.
menhao
Hey, bro, I cant agree with your assumption, for it is so simple to convince me. I agree that the two kind of yong people is very oberious to obverse in your lifes, yet the real situation is more complicate than your conclusion. just take myself as an example, I like to work hard in my study and research area, but that will never mean I gave up any enjoyments, I will also enjoy funny things and go out for fun in the rest time of my study, and I belive I could also do great in my study and research.

38club wrote:
Alpha Dude
I'd belong to the studier group Sad

<A while ago I came across an excellent rant by some member of another forum about how 'morals' have gone downhill since his days - I could identify with most that was said, pity I can't find it again >

[Thunder alert]
Josso
Quote:
Um..I'm both. I study hard for college, and I have fun.

Yeah I'd agree with that. I don't want to become totally un-sociable and loose out on this part of my life entirely because of study but I work hard enough to enjoy myself at the same time... I'm happy with my progress at school Very Happy
cybernie
There is a better tomorrow for someone who give time, focus and concentration to his / her studies... but more blessings to those who do it with God in the center of His life... say, doing all your best and God doing the rest...

you can enjoy what you're doing knowing that there is God who is always at your side to back you up...
7gts-scout
I'm both but more to da fun side... Seriously..u cannot be a pole for your entire life... you must also spend your times on fun things... But not telling you to stop studying and play all day...

My friend who is a bookworm and he studies everyday but i got higher marks on my exams... This prove that studies is not the solution to success... you hav to be the both sides... So you play and study at the same time... Sometimes when you study too much is not good... coz u might hav "short-circuit" to your brain.. Seriously.. Life is short..you shud enjoy while u can..haha.. Learn life...! Explore them... Wink Twisted Evil
seanooi
i study and play hard. I would say it's a good balance. All study and no play is bad and vice versa. Laughing
GProject
I have to say that I study pretty hard when I have to (approching exams always seems to be a kick-start to get me studying). However, I've been working full-time for the last year and it's opened my eyes to a different kind of life.

University is part social club, part 'place of learning' anyway, but working a job makes you appreciate your social time!
sujan
this is the topi c in which this sorts of rubbihs thins should be talked
Vrythramax
7gts-scout wrote:
My friend who is a bookworm and he studies everyday but i got higher marks on my exams... This prove that studies is not the solution to success... you hav to be the both sides... So you play and study at the same time... Sometimes when you study too much is not good... coz u might hav "short-circuit" to your brain.. Seriously.. Life is short..you shud enjoy while u can..haha.. Learn life...! Explore them... Wink Twisted Evil

The fact you scored higher is not a good indication that study is not a viable way to gain success, some people are naturally more adept at some subjects than others. The subject matter you scored better on may have been one of your friends weak points and only through study and help will he get better at it. Success (for those of us in the workfield) only comes to those who work for it.
kung_fu_stu
I like to think of it as more of a spectrum than a complete left and right. Given that, I would say I lean more towards the enjoying like side of the spectrum. However, I rarely study and I'm still an above average student; so who says you can't have both.
squirrelmaster
Immortality wrote:
I don't agree with that statement. I hardly study and I do great in school. And I know how to have a good time, but not all the time. I'm somewhere in the middle, I try to do well in school, but I'm smart enough to get by with minimal effort, and I'm laid back enough to say, "eh, whatever" when it comes to having a good time everyday.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with spirit.

Yes i'm like that to, but I think that people like you and me DO study, just not in the traditional sense,
i just read something twice and I ace the test.
I think i might have some sort of photographic memory, now that I compare myself to my classmates who spend hours doing homework, and I find that i don't need to do it and I still ace the test.
maybe we just take in information quicker than the rest of the class so we can actually have a social life
(or in my case i spend my free time on the computer)
VCK9001
The youth of today only seems to care about sex, drugs, violence, booze and fitting in. Break at my school is a very nightmarish scene.
snowboardude
i have a 96 avg, tho i still go chill w/ my friends downtown all the time
quartnee
I'd have to admit I'm more into doing something that I like than something I do not. That doesn't mean I always get to do what I want though. I've found that in my case studying is not really a necessity. I mean I do really good when I study, but I do just as well when I don't so I figure why do it if it doesn't really help me that much more.

As for being spritually empty, I go to a Catholic school, and have a VERY relgious older generation (aunts, grandparents..) in my family so if I seem spritually empty it's more so because almost everywhere I go there's religion and spritual issues, and that's not such a bad thing, but it can become a problem when it's more than one religion. I have a Nuwabbian (sp?) aunt, Christian/Church of God grandparents, Baptist father, and Catholic mother.. to say there are debates sometimes would be an understatement, and it also make for an akward Thanksgiving/Easter/Christmas celebration..
TimeSpree
I'm an escapee through a radical political ideology and lifestyle choice (Green Anarchy). Right now I am just biding my time til I'm 18. But because of this I haven't put learning to the wayside, in fact I believe that I have aquired skills that normally I would not have bothered with. I enjoy trips to the library and self-directed learning.

I am aware that to other people this is synonymous with joining a cult. Wink
Shiva
Well, I'm an angel, everybody knows that Rolling Eyes
Ray Gravin
I admit that I would fall into the "party like there's no tomorrow" category. I was particularly so when I was a teenager. I just don't see why I should spend so much of my time doing something I don't enjoy. I know that being financially secure is important but Im not overly concerned with "being big daddy fat wallet" I get by and I still have more time to myself and my family. I don't think I would be content with working for the predominate portion of my life. I do however spend a lot of time studying the things I enjoy doing!
OutlawSpirit
i just do what i gotta do.. be where i gotta be and stay myself... thats all there is to it, young or old thats how im'a be!!!!!

Cool
frozenhead
Well, we can't deny the fact that youngsters nowadays got an easy way of life.

In my case, I was raised in a time where hardwork is important in getting a good life (ex. study hard or work hard).

I think and also my advise to young ones is study hard, dream high, aim for a good career and that's how a good life should be earned. Wink
meet in rio
I'd rather not study and get 90% than study and get 100%. To be honest, I'm very glad that I value relaxation and friendships above academic achievement. Not that I'm not academically very proud (I certainly am, and it would be a serious blow to my self esteem if I started getting Bs and Cs), but I'm happy to sacrifice perfection for a more relaxed lifestyle.

I do sometimes worry that it's a fear of failing that keeps me from really trying (perhaps I wouldn't achieve perfection if I tried? I don't know because I've never given it a shot), and perhaps in that sense I'm not living life to the full, but I'm very happy with my work/life balance and I believe that I've got my priorities right.

I'm friends with a few workaholic types, and I would have a miserable life with that sort of mindset.
mying
seanooi wrote:
i study and play hard. I would say it's a good balance. All study and no play is bad and vice versa. Laughing

yap.. you are right...
poisonhzkj
im half and half...i d like to enjoy my life in my way..but i pay attention to my career too.
Icantation
Im someone in between. Since I'm a scholar, i have no choice to study harder but im biding my time to have some fun. Razz
konflikt
VCK9001 wrote:
The youth of today only seems to care about sex, drugs, violence, booze and fitting in.

YEEEAAAAAH, BABY!!!!!!!!!

Well, I don't know about the fitting in part. I could care less what the next man thinks of me. Opinions are like a******s, everyone has one. But everything else, <see above>.

Oh yeah, I read every now and then Wink
n0isehazard
38club wrote:
Ah~, I somewhat agree with your reasoning, but I hardly believe in generalizations at times.

I'm a "young person", and I feel more spiritually fullfilled than most other people I know. I spend a lot of time writing and drawing, thinking about different things, and dreaming up different worlds. I'm regarded as "weird" or "crazy" among my peers, but it's not really a problem as long as I'm content discovering new aspects in life and about myself. <3
NewGuyinTown
I work my bum off during the school year.

They say the living standard is rising. It is no good if you cannot afford that standard of living. A higher standard of living would be a higher standard of education. Higher demands mean we have to work harder and means more will be disqualified. Those who are not fit to cross that line and desire to do so will work hard and most likely face some form of depression.

If no one meets the demand to maintain the standard, then what good is it?

However, it's an opinion. Smile
Vrythramax
NewGuyinTown wrote:
I work my bum off during the school year.

They say the living standard is rising. It is no good if you cannot afford that standard of living. A higher standard of living would be a higher standard of education. Higher demands mean we have to work harder and means more will be disqualified. Those who are not fit to cross that line and desire to do so will work hard and most likely face some form of depression.

If no one meets the demand to maintain the standard, then what good is it?

However, it's an opinion. Smile

hmmmm...Interesting opinion. Now here's mine, all the "script kiddies" are off on thier school vacations or on family holidays, or just out playing with thier friends, the wheather is to warm to sit in the house at the computer, and they can't be bothered with even the attempt at keeping Frihost alive and thriving. I may seem bitter, but I work (more than full time), I play, and I pay my bills, and I (at least try) to raise a family, and I still at least try to keep the ad revenue coming in for a person, or persons, who allow me free hosting. I can at least appreciate what Bondings has done here.

'nuff said.
babolattennis
young pplp are fine
eqfan
kung_fu_stu wrote:
I like to think of it as more of a spectrum than a complete left and right. Given that, I would say I lean more towards the enjoying like side of the spectrum. However, I rarely study and I'm still an above average student; so who says you can't have both.

All right
essentialmedia
You learn throughout your entire life and never stop. There is also no reason why you can't live a full life and have fun while still being a responsible student and/or business person
essentialmedia
VCK9001 wrote:
The youth of today only seems to care about sex, drugs, violence, booze and fitting in. Break at my school is a very nightmarish scene.

That may be how you see it but that is avery ignorant generalization. Not all youth only care about those things.