FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ads problem

kevintrung
i have too much ads keep pop up in my computer what do you think is the best pop up bloker program ?
desigod
well what i do is run adaware it usually solves all your problems.

ad-aware is availible form download.com!
prithvi
I have the Google toolbar installed in my browser.
Keeps those popups at bay, which you can also re-enable by just pressing a key.

You can get it from http://toolbar.google.com
parl
kevintrung wrote:
i have too much ads keep pop up in my computer what do you think is the best pop up bloker program ?

I used to use a program called "pop-up stopper" it would stop all but the newer flash type popups. I now use FireFox as a browser and it has a pop up blocker built in. (it's really worth a try if you use IE)
kurpol
Along with ad aware I would use Spy Bot. Run a search on google for it. Adware sucks and can be a pain to remove. Evil or Very Mad
Daniel15
I use Opera which has inbuilt popup blocker and mail client. It's really worth looking at, and is a small download

http://www.opera.com/
bao
I true Google toolbar.Google toolbar can block pop AD.
Texas Al
You can switch to FireFox and install the AdBlock extension. Or, there's this program called Popup Killer, http://sourceforge.net/projects/puk/.

PUK hasn't been updated in a long time, but it still works fine. You just have to train it-- set it to safe smart mode and set the sensitivity slider to about halfway. Now it will automatically try to guess what's a popup ad (because it's in smart mode) but if it's the first time it catches that type of popup it will ask you if you want to close it (that one time or permanently, or ignore it, or ignore it permanently). You quickly build up a database of popups that will always be closed. If you change the path after the domain name to a "*" it will close everything from that domain name without asking.

If you've got your heart set on using IE, then PUK is the best program to use for that. If you switch to FireFox and Adblock like I did, you won't need PUK anymore. It's been months since PUK has had to ask me about anything now.
RaFaMp
as Texas Al said use Firefox and AdBlock Extension... its the best way to kill ads Wink
gonzo
visit:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/HijackThis_Logs_and_Analysis-fx22-100-Z-A-last_post-8505.html
dule
i use Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE

on my friend's computer we played counter strike in lan and suddenly a popup appeared (minimizing the game), and it says:

YOUR COMPUTER MAYBE IS INFECTED WITH SPYWARE.

IF YOU ARE EXPIRECING SLOW... bla bla bla... AND UNEXPECTED POPUPS (LOL!) THEN PLEASE CLICK... blablabla...

what crazy people there are today...
THE11thROCK™
Use Spysweeper, Ad-aware, CWS Shredder (Cool Web Search), Spybot Search and Destroy, Yahoo and Google have Ad and Pop-Up blocker, Internet Explorer 6 sp1 (built in Ad blocker), and use Window Washer to clear your Internet trail. Wink
orno
THE11thROCK™ wrote:
Use Spysweeper, Ad-aware, CWS Shredder (Cool Web Search), Spybot Search and Destroy, Yahoo and Google have Ad and Pop-Up blocker, Internet Explorer 6 sp1 (built in Ad blocker), and use Window Washer to clear your Internet trail. Wink

Or use Firefox/Opera Smile

P.S that should be Internet Explorer 6 SP2, not SP1 which has the inbuilt popup blocker.
Defsanguje
THE11thROCK™
Quote:
P.S that should be Internet Explorer 6 SP2, not SP1 which has the inbuilt popup blocker.

Yeah, it should be Sp2. I just looked at the version file. My mistake. Laughing
gonzo
gonzo wrote:
visit:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/HijackThis_Logs_and_Analysis-fx22-100-Z-A-last_post-8505.html

Have you done this yet?
neekhu
I was using a simple browser until recently, called Crazzy Browser, it is free, and you can find easily on the net, I don't remember the link...

I now use Opera (which you can download from www.opera.com) a while ago, it is also good for this.

Both are free, you can download them, or you can find on many of the computer magazines available on the market (in case you don't download). There are many magazines that usually have attached to them a cd with free software. On those cds you can also find other useful software: antiviruses, free utilities like compressors etc...

Some magazines names: Net Report, PC Magazine.

I hope this helps
boringest
yup, use Opera and you can even customise almost everything - whether ads should appear or not, even the site layout!
Kydha
hi there,

i use firefow without using any add on on it and every pop ups and other ads don't appear on my screen...

now as said earlier, you may have some pywares on ypur computer.... try to clean it out.... with ad-aware or any stuff like that...

hope that healps a little :p

c ya Very Happy
frozenecko
Alright Hun, If you have tons of spyware, pop-ups and the like you should analyze what kind of sites you are going on to. If you want to completely rid you computer of all the spyware (in which case you more than likely have viruses) you need to reformat your computer.

After you reformat, you need to go online, and download firefox. That will help stop a lot of problems. Although with firefox you CANNOT view everything, it is quite a bit safer.

Then, go to http://www.noadware.net/?hop=truval2 and get your FREE download of ad-aware, which will help reduce pop-up problems.

Then as one last precaution, [if you have the extra money] log onto www.v-com.com and buy V-Com Fix-It. It allows you to scan for viruses before you even open ANYTHING, plus detects them on the spot, cleans them, and gets you going again. Smile

Hope thats helpful!
CrimsonStrange
Although you should have at least a basic knowledge of how your computer/operating system works, even a total newbie could do this one.

And it doesn't require that you install any pop-up blocker toolbars or programs, either.

Edit your HOSTS file.

Your HOSTS file is located in:

C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC (for Windows 2000, NT)

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC (for Windows XP)

If you're using Windows 98/ME, it's located in C:\WINDOWS

And (simply put) all it does is tell your computer not to even attempt to access the URL's in that list.

(It does other things, as well, but for the topic of blocking ads... this is all ya gotta know. Wink )

If you want a good write-up of how your HOSTS file works, lookee here: MVPS.org's "Blocking Unwanted Parasites With A HOSTS File"

MVPS also has a very impressive HOSTS file to download & use, if you'd rather go that route.

But chances are, there are URL's present in MVPS.org's HOSTS file that you'll never, ever go to. What I do is right-click on ad images (or view the page source), get the URL, and block the ones I see all the time.

BIG TIP!!! - Make sure the URL of the ad you're blocking is not sitting on the same server as the page you're sitting on, or you'll block the entire site you wanna look at. Most commercial websites use outside services to show their ads, but some actually host them on their own servers... which makes blocking their banners or pop-ups with the HOSTS file impossible... if you still wanna see the site.
So, nothing's perfect, y'know.
But the HOSTS file ad-blocking method speeds up your surfing like you wouldn't believe, especially if you're on dial-up.

And what with the proliferation of these darn system-intensive Flash ads, not having to download them in the first place just makes surfing the web a lot more pleasant!
Best of luck to those who try it!