FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why is browser file manager so much faster than FTP?

jayandsilo
I have been doing stuff via ftp, and just tried using the directadmin filemanager and it's about 10 times faster.
Hogwarts
Thats only because of one thing...
When you use FTP it had so many commands that it takes time, not time to upload the file. If it were a larger file, ftp it. If not, tar.gz them and upload.
jayandsilo
how do I tar.gz it? got a program?
jayandsilo
I don't have linux, how the heck do I do this?
ocalhoun
jayandsilo wrote:
I don't have linux, how the heck do I do this?

Get linux; windows is becoming obsolete.
Really, a bootable linux CD would solve your problem easily.
I'm sure there's a windows tarball-compatable compression utility, but I don't know of any, because I have linux.
jayandsilo
becoming obsolete? where you pull that out of?
ocalhoun
I pulled it right out of my head, of course.
*closes head*
Really, that was a little premature, but eventualy linux (or something like it) will replace windows.
wumingsden
I have a windows XP.

I zip the files that I want uploading to DA then convert them using ZipZag (30 day fully featured trial) to .gz. I then change the file extension from .gz to .tar.gz - DA will now be able to extract the file so upload it and click that option.

(Note: by default you will not be able to change the file extension of the file - you will need to change a folder option which is extremely easy to do, reply if you want to know how)
mOrpheuS
In Windows, you can use 7-Zip to make a single .tar out of multiple files and then GZip to make a .tar.gz out of the .tar

Find these two freeware utilities here :
7-zip
GZip
jayandsilo
thanks guys
whplace
Try changing the software you use or contact your server manager / Host .........

If it is FriHOst ask the mods or the admin .......... They will have suggestions

Thank you,.

whplace
FreeBay
Hogwarts wrote:
Thats only because of one thing...
When you use FTP it had so many commands that it takes time, not time to upload the file. If it were a larger file, ftp it. If not, tar.gz them and upload.

Is there an FTP program which uses less commands and is faster? I'm currently using SmartFTP.

Regards,

Eric
mOrpheuS
FreeBay wrote:
Is there an FTP program which uses less commands and is faster? I'm currently using SmartFTP.

Regards,

Eric

The commands are not something specific to the FTP client.

The "commands" (PWD, LIST, CWD, RETR, STOR) are implemented in the definition of the FTP protocol.
Every FTP client has to use them.

whplace wrote:
Try changing the software you use or contact your server manager / Host .........

If it is FriHOst ask the mods or the admin .......... They will have suggestions

It is also not something specific to FRIHost.
jayandsilo
I just guess because it's free it has a pretty bad uptime...
hunnyhiteshseth
If FTPs are so slow, then why do we need such a protocol?
jayandsilo
they aren't slow, the issue is the constant cutting out of the connection of web based stuff.
Hogwarts
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
If FTPs are so slow, then why do we need such a protocol?

It makes modifying something so much easier.
I can move files easier with ftp then with directadmin because direct admin always tries to move the files I_have_deleted, which has ended up stuffing my forums three times Rolling Eyes

Ftp also allows editing easier - You can open the file through smart ftp which then goes into temp files. Once you overwrite it it is uploaded to the server.