FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help, my floppy disk isn't working...

Sabz
My floppy disk just stoped working. I can't open it. I get masseges like the disc is not formatted, or doesn't exist. Is there anything I can do to retrieve my files? My resume and cover letter were on that disc and it's very important for me to somehow get them back... I would appriciate any help.
eznet
If you are sure that the floppy disk is good (or as good as a floppy can be thought to be - which is not saying much) then your drive may be failing(ed). If that is the case, then you have a couple of options. If it were me, I would scrap the floppy drive and get a USB Thumbdrive or a cd burner. Until then hit up a friend with a floppy and internet and email it to yourself or head over to you local library or public/community/state college or university and you should be set. It could be a number of things, but most likely it is the drive or the cable, either way you can save time and headache just buying a new drive (that comes with a new cable, which is most - that is, if you must cling to that archaic device.).

Ez
Bones
When running Windows Xp I wouldn't own a pc without a floppy drive. How else are you going to load your sata drivers? Or are you clinging to archaic IDE drives? Wink
technology.sponge
theres not much to be done in terms of floppy disk data recovery, its totally possible the actual disk has been corrupted

as eznet sed, get a usb drive or cdburner
ocalhoun
Did you make the files on the floppy on a mac and move to windows or vice versa? That is one thing that will (or at least used to) cause that error.
If there are no operating system incompatability issues, then first try another disk. If the other disk can be read, then your drive is good, if not, you need a new floppy drive, a new cable, or a new motherboard. If the drive is good, that means the disk is bad, which in turn means your data is gone. If this is the case, try to format the disk, and at least you can continue to use the disk. If the format works, that means something like a magnetic field or temperature extremes erased or corrupted your data. If the format does not work, then your disk is physicly damaged. In either of these cases, you'll know what to avoid in the future.

This just re-inforces the most important lesson in computers: BACK UP YOUR DATA!
capoe
I've resolved this problem a few times by opening the disk on a windows 98 system.
kernel_geek
In terms of saving the disk, it is actually (therotically) possible i have dome it once of twice in an emergency. :

If it is a mechanical problem (like the catch is sticking) than you crack open the housing (i know it sounds crazy) and put it into a new housing from another floppy disc etc

NOTE:Be very carefull not to damage it, store away from magnetic devices. (that may be the reason it does not work)

Or it could possibly be a disk problem in witch a clean is all the magnetic disc needs.

Both of these methods are very extreme and I am no way responsible for, emotional damages, phisical damages/get in fight with computer
eznet
That better be a valuable 1.44 mbs of data Very Happy Funny thing, seen that very thing done back in the day...

Obvious Tip Of the Day: Superglue does wonders getting the new case to hold securly.
orno
last option: format the disk and then use some recovery tool to get your data back...
steveadams617
Do you have a hard copy of your resume and cover letter? By the time you use a recovery tool, you could have re-typed it...
Sabz
Thanks everyone. I tried a few data-recovery softwares (which you can get online for free) and in the end one of them worked (can't remember which one now hehe). So it was possible, but a bit frustrating. This just re-emphesised a lesson I have learnt over and over again, FLOPPY DISKS SHOULD ONLY BE USED IN HISTORY BOOKS! Laughing

btw, I got the job that I was trying to apply for!
Dancing
andy26
you can creat iso files and burn them to cd to run as bios and driver instals and you can also use memory sticks
andy26
Sabz wrote:
Thanks everyone. I tried a few data-recovery softwares (which you can get online for free) and in the end one of them worked (can't remember which one now hehe). So it was possible, but a bit frustrating. This just re-emphesised a lesson I have learnt over and over again, FLOPPY DISKS SHOULD ONLY BE USED IN HISTORY BOOKS! Laughing

btw, I got the job that I was trying to apply for!
Dancing

glad you got your files and glad you got your job
Sunny
andy26 wrote:
you can creat iso files and burn them to cd to run as bios and driver instals and you can also use memory sticks

All that to recover a floppy? huh? Shocked

Or you replied in wrong thread, anywayz problem is solved and thread locked.